Monkey Business in D&G

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Intro.JPG
So it’s like this. The Fat One says “Monkey, fancy a road trip?” Well you all know me. I’m all over that. Chicks, drugs, guns. “Sign me up Silly Man” says I. Beers in the fridge, a couple of extra Pot Noodles in the back and we were off.

Dashboard.JPG

I let him drive. He likes that, besides I get to look out of the window.

“So where are we going Oh Lord of the Pies?” I ask. He tells me that we’re going up to Scotland to finish off some off road safari that he started a while ago. Sounded like rock and roll to me.

The RV was at some Red Deer Range. Well ‘scuse me for getting that wrong. I turned up in my monkey cammo and a .308 Turns out not to be that sort of range. It’s just for viewing. Darn.

We’re soon on the road and hitting the trails.
P1010631.JPG Chillin.JPG

Not long before we’re at some Loch. Yes it’s pronounced Loccccchhhh. Locks apparently are for keys and narrow boats. Seems Robert the Bruce gave the English a right bashing here. There’s a switch, eh. Turns out to be Glen Trool. No idea who he was by the way.

Loch over there.JPG Bruce's Stone.JPG Glen Who?.JPG

Loccchhhh.JPG Here's a shot of Loch Doon. I prefer Loch Doom myself.

Once the rain cleared, we headed up Bennan for a look. All these routes by the way are private. Nick and Linda who run this outfit have negotiated sole access so none of you Landie boys need think about following in my footsteps. We go to the top and there were two idiots climbing on the mast. Hmm, I had a long distant cousin who climbed something like that in New York once. That didn’t end well I recall. Chicks. Hrumph.

Mast.JPGWire guys.JPG

View from the top.JPG On Bennan.JPG IMG_0154.JPG

Along the way there were many fascinating stories to be told. Many about poor shepherds who died with their flocks sheltering from Winter blizzards. Guess they didn’t have Cruisers back then.

Memorial.JPG

Time for a little snackeroo by this time. A bit of dip and some bisquits. Nice.
Snackeroo.JPG

Long day, quite a few miles under the belt but still no chicks. That must be tomorrow.

And so to bed.

So to bed.JPG

Next morning, more piles of rocks, lochs and fantastic views. We were up in the hills by this point with 11 000 acres to play in. We spotted some Roe deer but too far to go and ride them.

More rocks.JPGDear deer.JPG

There was in interesting mix of vehicles. A Troll in the lead, a Troop Camper, our cruiser, a Defender from Luxembourg and this sort of house on wheels. Seemed to struggle a little. So we gave the guy a lift in the rough stuff. This was a great opportunity for him to tell up how great his Lamerover was. Errr…..

Convoy.JPGHouse on wheels.JPG

Mid morning and it was time to chill by another loccchhhhh. PG of course and cool fresh healthy smoke.

PG and a fag.JPG

Back to the trails and we had to deal with one or two fallen trees. Out came the axes and saws. I just chilled and watched the Fat One sweat.

Muddy tracks.JPG

My turn to drive. Man I was a driving God, I can tell you. Off road, on road, I am just the best. Never stuck once.

My turn.JPG

Lots of time for stops and just generally hanging around.

Forest Park.JPG

Hanging around.JPG

Later that afternoon we got a call to go and see the hydro electric being switched on. If you like turbines and stuff you’d love this. 115m head of water passing through at 500 litres a second. That’s 30 tonnes a minute. Too excited to take any pics I’m afraid. It was generating about 4 mega watts of totally free power. Vey cool.

On the last day we went to the lighthouse round on the Mull of Galloway. Windy? Holy Bananas Fatman. Un-bee-leevable. We went up top and nearly got blown off into the sea. Learned all about the light etc. Fascinating.

Line up.JPG

Mull of Gall.JPGCat walk.JPGLight room.JPG

All told great fun. This is a close to laning in Scotland as you’ll ever get. A good opportunity for a vehicle pre trip shakedown too. Peter was off to Oz in his camper.
Troopy.JPG

Best of luck Peter! We’ve some mods to do too and new suspension is on order from Australia given the inability to find anyone reliable here in the UK.

On the way home we passed a layby at the foot of the Kirkstone pass.
P1010611.JPG

Blow me if it wasn’t full of Cruisers. We stopped for a look. Bugger me if it wasn’t Darth Voelker and his crew having lunch! What’s the chances of that then. We were planning a stop over at Ambleside at one of Lardy’s hotels.
Touch of class.JPG

Pretty plush. Even got a sea view. Well it looked like the sea and it wasn’t a locchhh to be sure.

View down the lake.JPG

That evening, we got to see the chicks. I knew it. We had tickets to some gig in Glasgow. The Pie Man only had a private box overlooking the stage.

IMG_0876.JPG

Hey, Airborne and Black Stone Cherry. Sweet! Got a couple of large ones down my neck and just ligged. I am sooo rock n roll, man.

Cool exec box.JPGGig 1.JPGRock on.JPGYeaah.JPG

So all in all a really good weekend. They do a full week trip which involves shooting, visitin some attractions and so on, but are tuned into the fact that some people just want to lane and camp eating dog food out of a packet. Like us. So they are putting together more of that sort of tihing including something called the Lagen Challenge which is an attempt to get a vehicle up a hill where no vehicle has ever been before. We can't let the enemy win that one surely? The views are stunning and the tracks great to drive.

Give them a look see here. It's well organised that's for sure. OK it's not Transalvadd in the Zlaafschmuut Mountains, but it's a great way to see your own back garden.

http://www.4x4treksscotland.com/

Last edited:
Your mental chris. Not seen a trip report like that.
Your figures on the weight of water are miles wrong.
Stu

Sorry Stu, that was a typo. It's 30 tonnes a minute. I got halfway through saying it was a tonne every two sec...oh never mind.

Good trip report Chris but I think you need your torque wrench calibrating :lol:

That was great fun to read Chris. I don't do much smiling these days what with my age being married and having children, but that did make me chuckle to myself. Cheers m8 :) You should pen a book ;)

Last edited:
Great stuff Chris, we need a like button, Facebook have it why can't we?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think you've started something here i expect we will be getting trip reports from kermit the frog and basil brush and god knows who else from now on :lol:

Looks a good trip , the link offers they have 500 miles of unpaved roads . What sort of mileage did you do on a weekend and how would you describe the driving is it 90% roads without tarmac and 10% muddy bits or ????????????????

Still trying to work out who the "fat" one is... :whistle:

Great post Chris, rock-on :lol:

One thing he stupidly didn't do is record the mileage Shayne. It wasn't like a real road trip so number of butties eaten and beers drunk wasn't really significant. But in relation to tarmac and lanes during the day, it was more 85% off road and 15% getting there and back. We drove roads that I know well, but just as we got to a section we knew well, we'd veer off onto some little lane and do 10 miles somewhere completely new and pop back out again further down. Any opportunity not to be on tarmac was taken. This is not hard core off road. Forget that. It is the equivalent to laning in England. But as you drive logging tracks there are some sections where one or two dropped out and took the by pass. I wouldn't call them challenging but I wasn't there for that. There are disused railway tracks, private roads, lanes, forest drives etc all just really nice to drive. There are some very rocky sections too.

Steve I know what you mean. I regained the ability to enjoy myself whilst up there. It's all about the crew you go with. If you are all alone then maybe not so much fun, but go with a co driver like we did or go in a convoy of mates then it's a blast.

We had a nice camp site at Loch Ken and slept in the Oz tent. There were Yurts too which we spent an evening in.

Lazz, yes I have but it's not particularly funny. Some good cartoons in it though.

Thanks for the report "monkey" you have set a new standard for trip reports ;)
Jet is already planning her next trip and report [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A new standard? Yep, it's certainly that. :animals-chimp: :thumbup:

Monkey

No one has noticed that I am actually an ape, but hey, you humans all the same to me too

On a side note Chris, what are black stone cherry like live?
Seen airborne and they were great, got into listening to them after they supported maiden a few years back.

The trips look great, had a look on the website. Know what you mean about the company makes the trip more then anything. I like to get out laning on my own sometimes but trips with mates are great

Well they were OK Gary. Good sound but actually annoying that they kept getting the audience to sing their songs for them. Oddly I paid for them to do that. Pretty poor drum solo that wasted another song and they missed several of their 'hits'. So Good but not a major headline act perhaps, not yet. Nothing wrong with the actual performance though. But Airborne were better.

Looks like that due to Ju's holiday dates this year, and not being able to do Romania etc, we may do the 6 day tour in September.

http://4x4treksscotland.com

any other cruisers up for it?

Andy

Andy I won't have enough leave left what with Morocco and Greece plus Christmas and going stalking. But I hope you do go and have a great time. The drives really are very good and you just know that no one is going to give you any grief. Because THEY shouldn't be there! First trip we saw an Osprey and there are potential sightings of Golden Eagles too.

I'm not sure how I've missed this thread before.
Just had a read through.
I've not before managed to smile and have a chuckle all whilst maintaining a semblance of a frown with an eyebrow raised.
It might be the look called 'confused'
I don't think I'll be able to communicate with Chris again without assuming that look.....

Not sure how I missed this first time round either... Great read Chris :icon-cool:

Sorry, only just seen this myself. F*****g monkey!!!!!

Back