Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

More rust

It always worries me though when welding onto axle casings, it must be worth while checking that you're not heating the casing near to the oil seals inside the casing. I'm sure they would suffer damage if they're too close.

It's not an axle case. For some reason I don't understand the 3rd cross member back on a 120 (and a 90) is a tube. Touch wood, but the mounts on the axle look solid. It's the 90 where the axle mounts seem to go, although maybe mine isn't old enough for that yet!

I see now, a closer look at the photo sorted it :oops:

I'm amazed that 80's don't suffer more sill rot-out than they do when you consider the sunroof drains into them. Having recently suffered wet carpets in the passenger side footwell due to a blocked sill drain, the water that came out was crystal clear with not a hint of brown rust stain. Must've been a good 2-3 litres of it. A quick look with an endoscope through one of the large grommet holes also showed no rust. Howzat then?
This surprises me TP. My 81 has the tubes through and out the bottom in one bit. I've had wet carpet before but this was down to the screen leaking. There are drain grommets at the front that drain without going into the sills.

This surprises me TP. My 81 has the tubes through and out the bottom in one bit. I've had wet carpet before but this was down to the screen leaking. There are drain grommets at the front that drain without going into the sills.
There are 4 drain tubes from the OEM sunroof. The 2 rear tubes run inside the roof to the rear and exit through the rear quarter behind the rear wheel arches. The 2 fronts drain into the sills. The sill drains are small slots front and rear and can block easily, especially if you're painting or undersealing. They unblock easily with a cable tie or similar. I removed the interior plastic sill trim to lift the carpet and start drying it out and then saw the water through the trim clip holes. When the sill is full it obviously overflows into the footwell somehow.

Hmm, I guess it's the rear ones I've noticed. I'll have to check the fronts. I thought they went straight through but clearly not.

Back