Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

more storage space

callum

having filled up the tailgate, i still needed a bit more space to store my crap out of the main boot are and out of sight. So, a while ago i started making a storage box to set into the floor of the boot. An icelandic chap had done so on ih8mud, so i decided to make one as well. my spare lives on a spare carrier so all the space under the floor was wasted.

Construction is an angle frame with galvanised sheet cladding. I wanted to use stainless to do it, but it was too expensive, so mild steel and galvo it is. Making it took much longer than i expected, but its now just about done and i'm pretty pleased with the results as it meets all of the criteria i noted, namely holding a jerry can upright and not hanging below the tow bar brackets where it could get bashed. Need to make lids and a floor now, but that will have to wait until i can get to the timber merchants. i have found someone reasonably close by breaking an 80 so i should be able to carpet the lids with the same carpet as the rest of the car. I should also be be able to get some replacement tailgate carpet. as you can see, the previous owner did not take very good care of it and the carpet has some bald spots.

here's some pics, more to follow once i get some materials.

dsc01485l.jpg

dsc01487xzs.jpg

dsc01488cg.jpg

dsc01489m.jpg

dsc01492yb.jpg

dsc01493sr.jpg

dsc01494u.jpg

dsc01495cw.jpg

dsc01496xu.jpg

very nice.

thats a handy size.
U could get a few illegal immigrants in there :D :D

What kind of top are ya putting on it??

When a customs official searchs your car he'll think he's hit jackpot and then come crashing down.

Cool mod. Braver man than I to take a grinder to my car. :shock: A round hole for the snorkel was about as far as I go...

That is an excellent job, I don't think I would have been that brave to cut ferkin great holes in the floor :o lots of useful space gained there :thumbup: will you be fitting some sort of lid or are you just leaving it open?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lids and floor will be added once i can get hold of some ply in the appropriate thickness and some carpet to cover it. There's the small matter of latches to be dealt with as well. They're quite pricey, but i suppose i will just have to bite the bullet and buy them.

i'll post some more pics when i get that done.

Very nice job. I agree with the comments above, you are very very brave....

(How many times did you measure before the first cut??)

That's very cool :thumbup:

Bit of OT, but where did you get the handles for the lid on your tail gate?

Just thought i'd add a few finished pics, took a bit longer to get all the stuff together than i'd anticipated.

Went with a rubber rather than carpet as i couldn't get any carpet, but it at least means its easy to clean up the dirt and oil from bikes.

Few little paint touch ups to do yet and of course to fill the space up with stuff, but that's the project mostly done now.

Oh and the tailgate latches are southco ryan, as are the latches for the floor hatches. Got them from farnells, about the only place i could find who sells them online.

dsc01513large.jpg

dsc01514large.jpg

dsc01515large.jpg

dsc01516large.jpg

dsc01517large.jpg

Incredible work .... looks like it's meant to be there :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Back