Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mornin’ from Surrey.

Cathedral333

Country Flag
england
Hi all.
I’ve just registered and need to introduce myself.
My name is Martin and I run an 07 SWB D4D totally stock. I have owned this beauty for about 18 months and bought it to replace a 90 Defender. So far the Landcruiser more than stands up to the Land Rover. My plans for this jeep are to keep it stock and drive off road occasionally. NOT off roading. WWhere I live is ( near to the M25. Kent side of Surrey )semi rural and high so we quite often get cut off by snow. The last bout was responsible for a ten car pile up. ( which I drove around ). My reason for registering is to talk and meet up with likeminded people. Get mechanical tips, find local recommended mechanics.

Welcome! You will find a lot of useful info here - don't forget to post a few pics!

Hi. Probably won’t upload any pics until spring / summer as at the moment the jeep is filthy ( worse as it’s black ). Would be handy to know a local grease monkey though as I do need a couple of issues looking at. Again if it were spring / summer I would be laying underneath it myself and I don’t have the benefit of an undercover space big enough to work on her.

Hi all,
How time flies. It’s been almost 12 months since my last post.
However, my 07 D4D (I think it’s a 120 series. Wo be nice to know if that’s correct) has been laid up for around 6 of those due to the steering seizing up.
After reading a few different articles I decided to heavily lubricate everything I could get to. The result was amazing. The steering was better than ever. Unfortunately four months later the problem was back and this time a lot worse.
I then decided to replace the part of the steering that is at the bottom of the column before the rack and has an integral universal joint. With the old fitting removed you can see it is totally stiff.
I am going to try electrolysis rust removal on the old fitting to see how it comes up and if the UJ survives. If so then I would advise anyone who has the same problem to remove clean and replace.
I won’t be cleaning this fitting anytime soon but as soon as I do I will post the results.
BTW, The replacement OE part wasn’t easy to get hold of and was £65.00.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the update, just for future reference where did you get the part from?

Hi it’s been some time and I thought I had already replied. The replacement part was actually found by my mechanic on eBay. Apparently there are a few adverts. Half of which don’t actually have the part, many more are pattern parts. This apparently was about the dearest but so far worth every penny. This is now the season my LC goes to work. I have already taken her to places this season that my 90 would not have liked without even dropping it into 4WD.

Back