Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco 2014

I guess ferries are the same everywhere. [emoji23]

Photos and videos are coming. The laptop is rendering some video as I type and photos will be online over the weekend I expect

Patience Grasshopper[emoji38]

Back home to rain and winter.

Some quick stats

6940.8km driven
2247m Max Elevation
53.6kmh average speed
126 kmh max speed (in a private desert officer)
>100 hours driving as the trip computer stops at 99.99hours
48.05hours stopped time with sat nav running
£500 Fuel roughly
£1.42 cheapest accommodation
£29.93 most expensive accommodation.
2 Number of times the Army stopped me going where I wanted
3 Number of times my route was impassable
42 Cans of Beer Drunk
2 Cans of beer killed by the desert
1/2 Litre Vodka Drunk
70p litre - most expensive diesel in Morocco
1278 times a random stranger said "My Friend" as an introduction
1 Party invitation from a Moroccan on top of a mountain
1 bag of Lamb given as a present!
1 night drinking with French Rally competitors and organisers
2 times French belongings found on pistes and returned

Last edited:
Smashing, these are prepped at the garage I found recently in Perigueux, am going to get him to look after mine :)
He will be chuffed that they were seen by one of us!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

I've got a few pics of them in action but I was really ill that day so they aren't upto my other rally photos like this from the Rally Du Maroc 2 years ago

8520018124_a6200c0402_c.jpgP1040631 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

Hello Mark
Thanks for posting all this very good stuff. I am thinking of taking a trip to the northern region of Morocco in March 2015 (two vehicles), with a bunch of friends. Now, I'm obviously 'game' for it and I;m not at all worried, but one of my friends is (I think overly) fearful of 'bandits' or 'terrorists' attacking, especially because the UK government has just increased the 'threat' for that region!

Can you offer any thoughts on what you would say to someone worrying about that?! I've explained that for my trip Im only planning on three days in Morocco and can't exactly reach that far into it anyway!

Cheers and thanks again
Cliffy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would love to do something Early March time, before the grass cutting starts again! Stuff the black Flag buggers!

You need more than 3 days to enjoy Morocco
You wouldn't even have time for Atlas Mountains in 3 days,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello Mark
Thanks for posting all this very good stuff. I am thinking of taking a trip to the northern region of Morocco in March 2015 (two vehicles), with a bunch of friends. Now, I'm obviously 'game' for it and I;m not at all worried, but one of my friends is (I think overly) fearful of 'bandits' or 'terrorists' attacking, especially because the UK government has just increased the 'threat' for that region!

Can you offer any thoughts on what you would say to someone worrying about that?! I've explained that for my trip Im only planning on three days in Morocco and can't exactly reach that far into it anyway!

Cheers and thanks again
Cliffy

Cliffy,

Theres absolutely no more to worry about than on a night out in London or any other city in the UK. Morocco has had long connections with Europe and is much more liberal than some other Islamic states.

Last year we went to the Western Sahara where the FO advice was high risk of terrorism, land mines and kidnapping, we all came back OK. This year I was totally on my own and never worried about security once.

Morocco has had a few terror attacks but no more than the UK has had. They have a very strong police presence everywhere and the people are hugely welcoming. With 3 days in the North the riskiest thing is the Rif mountains and the cannabis trade. Some guide books paint a pretty bad picture of the Rif, high pressure drug taffikers and its lawlessness. I've not travelled this area much myself so can't speak from first hand experience. To get more specific advice on the North you might be best to pop over to http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ and ask in the Morocco Forum as theres a lot of Morocco vets on the site for better advice.

3 days is a pretty short visit so depending on your plans for the trip you may not even get into the Rif. Chefchoen is worth a visit and a 3 hour drive from the port. You could get down to the Middle Atlas for some nice pistes in the cedar forests.

I'm thinking March time for my next trip but work is a bit erractic at the moment with my current project but I need to decide soon

and before anyone asks yes I need to post pis and finish the trip report :D

Hi Andy

I hear you, but I only have two weeks - hence plan running 2 days through France, 3 days through Spain and three days (max 4) in Morocco, then return. Would like to go deeper but no time.

Hi Mark
Thanks for this, what you say is as I would imagine things to be, and it is good to hear from an experienced traveller in the region. I shall pass that wisdom along.
I'm looking forward to going!
Cheers and thanks again
Cliffy

no problems Cliffy ask away if you need to know anything :)

With your timing you could get much further in Morocco if you cut France and Spain time down, I was in Morocco 48hrs after leaving the UK this year and down by the High Atlas the next day. Depends on how hard you drive to get there :D

Mark

These are lovely. Such amazing beaches and very few or no deck chairs!

Hi Bat
No two wheelers for me - I have a LandCruiser HJ47. I realise that I could fast-track down to Morocco, but I don't like rushed driving, and I'd like to take in the Pyrenees - hence a sedate pace through france and Spain.

Back