Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morrocco..

The Gerbil

Country Flag
europe
We are kicking an idea about to do Morrocco after Christmas, and so far it's just an idea. We found these people online and they look like they are what we are after - knowledgeable local people and able to guide and fix problems if they occur..

www.overland-morocco-tours.com

Was wondering what peoples expereince with them has been if you have used them, or who else would you recommend...?

thanks.

I know Kev and Heike and will be seeing them next week. However I believe they are running a tour in West Africa in the New Year so won't be available for Morocco.

Couple of forum members did a tour with them earlier in the year.

Feel free to drop me a Pm about Morocco tours if you want to talk details, advice etc. There isn't much I don't know after 20+ years exploring the region

I used Waypoint tours, Barry Dunbar, no complaints at all, all meals included.

Hi. My wife and I spent almost six months there in about 2010 in a 4x4 camper unguided. Armed with Chris Scotts Morocco book, Michelin 1:1000000 and the Reise Know How map (Mich is better but fragile) Garmin mapping, and a water filter, we sailed from and to Barcelona because that was cheaper than driving down for us. The only bad bits were an absolute lack of respect towards my wife when she wasn't with me. I wouldn't consider a guide or organised group to go again, a lovely people and country. We used the odd hotel, some campsites some parked up in the middle of no where. Campsites are a good place to meet others who want to drive remote bits together. There's a range of guides by a man called Gandini which provide many more routes but they're all in French like ISBN-10: 2864106205 :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Waypoint tours went out of business a few years ago but I believe Barrie has a new outfit now.

There's a hand full of new tours operators appeared recently, some have only ever done 1 trip to Morocco and really don't know the country.

Benefits of going on a tour can be huge particularly when the shit hits the fan. One group last autumn got hit but a landslide in the Atlas fortunately the experienced guides were able to rectify the situation before it became serious. A group a few weeks ago had a member rushed to hospital at 4am.

In both situations if it hadn't been for guides with local knowledge it could have been a much bigger problem.

A good guide will also know routes that the books don't cover and hidden gems off the beaten tracks with no tourists.

I did some route research for the Morocco Overland book by Chris Scott and back in April ran as a support vehicle for him on a Western Sahara project.

Out of all the UK tour operators offering Morocco tours, Atlas Overland and Ardventures are leagues ahead of the Competition.

You sound like an advert :)

snipped
A good guide will also know routes that the books don't cover and hidden gems off the beaten tracks with no tourists.

Have you seen how many books Mr Gandini has produced?! And in a LC too. Any guide would be daft to not peruse all of them!

Yeah I know Jacques, met him a few times.

Driven about 80% of the pistes now at a rough guess. The ones I haven't done are either dead ends, military routes closed to the public or in the very far south.

Guidebooks are becoming a bit of a lottery now. The Moroccans are putting asphalt down so fast the books can't keep up with the changes.

MarkW - I have noticed your 'expertise' on various forums for a while, and am often surprised by what I read.
You should tell your followers about your first Western Sahara trip, and which tour operator saved your bacon...

MarkW - I have noticed your 'expertise' on various forums for a while, and am often surprised by what I read.
You should tell your followers about your first Western Sahara trip, and which tour operator saved your bacon...

What a reply.

Well done

Barrie,

I've always been open and honest about my experience travelling in Morocco not sure what you are getting at?

I have never not told anyone about my first Western Sahara Overland trip with you or how good it was if they asked.

You were still using my review on your website when I looked last.

While it was my first Overland trip, I already had 12 years experience traveling in Morocco and 2 previous trips into the WS by that time.

Barrie, was that the one where a roll of loo paper popped out of the window following a quite different 'roll'?

You've brought that up before Chas, wasn't me

Some other person on a different trip, my truck always stayed on its wheels

Barrie, was that the one where a roll of loo paper popped out of the window following a quite different 'roll?'
You've brought that up before Chas, wasn't me

Some other person on a different trip, my truck always stayed on its wheels
Sorry Mark, my mistake.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZsVSd67OmrcXkzMqSZDVrXccRxEg0wVpZZ-xLryjfqVhTeElI&s.jpg

Back