Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT how to pass

BlackWidow

Garage
Gents,

Today I took the old girl for her MOT and I am pleased to say that she past with no problems. So why tell you that. Well here is the thing, couple of weeks ago the Brake compensator valve spring had snapped. Toyota do not sell the spring as a individual item and I was not going to pay £220 for the complete assembly so started to phone round the scrap yards. It soon became apparent that I was not going to get one in time for the MOT.........what am I to do......

The night before the MOT I raided my airing cupboard and found a thick wire coat hanger and made a new spring from that. Not the best material for making a spring but it did fool the MOT tester enogh for him not to question it :clap:

I was so chuffed that I thought that I would share this with you all and here is a picture of the temporary spring. For those testers of you out there a proper spring has been sourced and will be on the truck soon.

PICT0668.jpg

Well done! :clap:

What do you mean "a proper spring has been sourced..." - that looks pretty proper to me! :thumbup:

I always wondered what that was... "brake compensator" ... So how does that actually work then? :think:

Does it change the brake bias under braking?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ducktape said:
I always wondered what that was... "brake compensator" ... So how does that actually work then? :think:

Does it change the brake bias under braking?

I believe it changes the brake bias according to the load. So, if you have a SL, you'll need to alter it compensate for the lift.

On the subject of brakes and MOTs has anyone had a problem with the brake pedal going to the floor when pressed hard? Strictly speaking it can be a fail but I've found a lot of Toyotas suffer from this, not only Landcruisers and also petrol Toyotas as well. It can be a common problem with diesels and over servoing but some testers might not be so forgiving so has anyone come across this. BTW I'm an MOT tester and the rules say you can test brake travel with the engine off if you suspect high servo boost.

Back