Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT today...

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
And.. PASS with flying colours :clap:
Looks like all the work and checking against the MOT list paid off. And fanks to Chris for all the help
Lorien caused quite a stir taking it in to the truck stop MOT place. She was asked which AT tires she would recommend for one of the guys Landrovers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

** Note - there are new MOT requirements published for 2012. Worth reading up on before your next MOT. One speficic item is interior lights. These will be noted as an advisory until 31 March 2012, from then on they're a FAIL.. How many of us have a blown Drive light in the dash! I have 2

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

Glad your truck passed with flying colours ....... :thumbup:

The main change to the MOT regs that I personally think will catch out a few people is....

Exhaust : A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.
I know quite a few people (and I was one myself) that run various turbo diesels that have been "de-catted" .....

Matt Wright said:
** Note - there are new MOT requirements published for 2012. Worth reading up on before your next MOT. One speficic item is interior lights. These will be noted as an advisory until 31 March 2012, from then on they're a FAIL.. How many of us have a blown Drive light in the dash! I have 2

group buy on dash lamps?! i know my "D" is out!

how do you get in there to replace it anyway? and what lamp is it?!

paulm said:
Matt Wright said:

group buy on dash lamps?! i know my "D" is out!

how do you get in there to replace it anyway? and what lamp is it?!
I know Chris has done it so can ask about the bulb. I haven't done it tho either as I know it requires removing the whole dashboard :? From reading the D light isn't specifically in the list, but I hate having loose ends that can start to throw doubt on the end result.. From speaking to the guy who did my MOT on the phone, the word is that they're going to be far more strict going forward. This would make it harder for older vehicles to meet the requirements as the requirements are more aligned to newer cars. But hopefully ours don't have many of the new parts so would skip those sections..

MOT result seem to be quite varied judging from some of the horror stories I've read here
hence posting about the new req's. I didn't know about them till 3 days ago.. Best of luck to all getting MOT.

chadr said:
I know quite a few people (and I was one myself) that run various turbo diesels that have been "de-catted" .....
How does the MOT man know that your truck was supposed to have cats? (serious question!) Is there as instruction booklet or something that tells them which vehicles came with cats originally?
Obviously if you fail the emissions test that would be a problem but that would apply equally with cats.

I also have the "D" out on mine - think my MOT is due in late March though :whistle:

The VOSA database probably has those kinds of details Andrew. I thought the new regs relating to dash lights is for warning lights only, not for things like gear selection lights.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
How does the MOT man know that your truck was supposed to have cats? (serious question!) Is there as instruction booklet or something that tells them which vehicles came with cats originally?

I'm sure that ALL cars after a certain date (1992?) had to have a cat fitted as standard in the UK. My case in question was a '04 Mk3 Mondeo TDCi that certainly would have had a cat as standard kit.

Overall the emissions standards are relatively high - i.e Euro 2, 4, 5 etc. and particulate filters and all that. It's just that the MOT doesn't check emissions on diesels that strictly..........yet.

Andrew Prince said:
chadr said:
Obviously if you fail the emissions test that would be a problem but that would apply equally with cats.

I also have the "D" out on mine - think my MOT is due in late March though :whistle:
On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test you check the presence of the catalytic converter.

As for dash lights you only check that the speedo can be illuminated, nothing about dash lights. There is of course new rules concerning certain warning lights on the dash.

The dash lights are detailed in the AA link I posted up top.. The D light isn't included, I want 100% sure but given that I didn't get a warning for it It assumes we're all safe on this one

Back