Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Motorcyle nostaligia.............

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
Just found this 2 stroke laden gem while browsing the tube. Remember this like it was yesterday and what a rider Pat Hennen was. The following year he would suffer a horrendous 160mph crash at the Manx TT that would end his career.

Wow, that was a nostalgia trip.

Mallory was my favorite circuit in the ‘70s, every weekend we were there with paddock passes at the ready, and after fighting to get that sweet-spot location 1/3 the way up the bank on devils elbow, where you could see them exit the hairpin, all the way through the elbow and even entering Gerrards....

I preferred saloon car and the 850cc class racing to bikes, but every race on that circuit was pure excitement, irrespective.
Pat Hennen well deserved this win, but we’d have been cheering for Sheen. It just wouldn’t have been ‘British’ to cheer on an American in those days...:lol:

Bliss... thanks TP :dance::dance::dance:

Last edited:
I was routing for “Bazza” back then and Ron Haslam too but had to admire the undoubted ability of the Yanks, especially in the Transatlantic Match Races held every year at Easter throughout the 70’s and 80’s. The likes of Kenny Roberts, Gene Romero, Dave Aldana, Steve Baker, Pat Hennan to mention a few who came over and won in the wet on tracks some of them had never seen before! The handling on some of the best racing machinery back then was questionable to say the least and on tyres they wouldn‘t even fit today to push the bikes round the paddock. That era delivered some fantastic racing though and all with the smell of Castrol R. Ahhhh........those were the days.

ex TT tuned bikes have in all my memory ended up wearing number plates belonging to a different chassis number :eusa-shhh:

Donington Park and Oulton Park's brilliantly named Knickerbrook corner, were among my favorites.

And fond memories of 'Mad Sunday', IOM.

Also Sheenie stinking of 'Brut'

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-04-16 Barry Sheene (Oulton Park Cheshire UK) 29th August 1977.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-04-16 Barry Sheene (Oulton Park Cheshire UK) 29th August 1977.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 15
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Has anyone read up on the reason Knickerbrook corner at Oulton Park is so named, it's so funny. :laughing-rolling:

Back