Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MUX's rear bumper build

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
I started this thread on 'the other site' ages ago but it got a bit of a nudge on Friday courtesy of a day off work being spent down at Col's workshop... Here's the history for those that don't know it.

Mostly, its Jon Wildsmith's fault that I have become so chop happy with MUX but once I'd seen Jon's old RIP 80 with the rear bumper he made for it, I knew I had to have a play...

So the first thing I took off was all the covers, corner bits, tread plate & towbar bits & was just left with just the rear crossmember in place. She looked like this, having a stretch after the school fair a while back...

16052009384.jpg

Not long after, I hacked that off too... With Col's assistance (my ace fabricator buddy BTW), a template was made from light guage sheet to mock up the shape which was then duplicated in 4mm plate with 15mm plates for recovery points. The rear crossmember was repositioned in the space usually reserved for the spare wheel - here's a couple of progress shots...

Rearbumper5.jpg

Rearbumper3.jpg

Rearbumper7.jpg

Rearbumper8.jpg

Then it was all welded up & gave it a coat of hard hat rattle can spray peint in the back garden :cool:

04092009551.jpg

04092009552.jpg

04092009553.jpg

04092009554.jpg

Which is how things stood til Friday, barring the towing plug being fitted when I bought my trailer a few months back... I had been doing stuff in readiness for a swing out wheel carrier but as with all of us, time is the killer... A further setback was my inept attempt to weld up part of this carrier last week... :roll: Anyhoo, here's the results from Friday's 'design-on-the-hoof' day...

As things stood at 08:30 hours:
16042010866.jpg

Note to all, never leave your NATO hitch open like that as it can & will dent your lower tailgate :oops:

Whats on the bench?? Looks like the makings of a carrier to me...
16042010867.jpg

Mocking up on the back of MUX:
16042010868.jpg

16042010869.jpg

16042010870.jpg

I was feeling fine about things with that there wheel on it but can anyone spot the deliberate mistake...
16042010871.jpg

Yup, try shutting the tail gate & keeping the wheel tucked in nice & snug... Had to a bit of that 'on-the-hoof' design changing thing...
16042010873.jpg

With an angle grinder!!! It got a plate top & bottom to make an 'I' beam in place of the box section & by now it was getting on to Col's hometime.

Just fit the toggle clamp & I'll be off methinks...

An hour later after much fiddle faffing, all of it unsuccessful, I tie it on with some of that high tech blue rope all adore so Col can get to the pub... I can't get the over centre clamp to hold it when in motion, hence the safety rope... :oops:

This is where we are now:
16042010874.jpg

16042010875.jpg

I'm going to reconfigure the clamp & add a safety pin (or two) so I can get rid of the rope & use my boot again...

I drove to Snowdon & back on Saturday & it all seems pretty secure as is - quite a reasonable view out of the back window which makes me wonder if I have mounted it high enough but if I lift it much higher, I'll need a set of stilts as well as a hernia operation...

Va bene

That does look very nice indeed.

Where did you get the over centre clamp from, trying to work out how to lock the one i'm building.

I got it from a company called Nu:Drives but they are readily available all over the place - I splashed out on a stainless one but am wondering if I've bought the right thing... Don't buy one til I have made sure it works - if it does, I can get one for you if you want.

Have a look at the wanted section too... ;-)

Ah, i see ;)

I should have all the bits together tomorrow to start making the main mounts, as you know i have cut up a standard import wheel carrier so have all the locking bits just not sure how to make them work, need to have it mounted to see the whole picture.

I think something along the lines of the standard one might solve your problem, that has a locating mount to take the weight separate from the lock so that it only has to lock and not support the frame as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:cool:

Don't worry, I have a cunning plan to get rid of the rope ;-)

Looking good, Gav - the bumper is really impressive. I like how neat and snug on the body it is :mrgreen: What happens to it when you do your body lift? I take it sweet-talking you into a group order is not so simple with the hacking of the chassis ends and relocating the cross member?

Where will you mount your number plate when the carrier is sorted - in the middle of the wheel? I presume that friendly plod with your best interests at heart might inquire whether the plate is illuminated or not? Obviously not an impossibility to hook up a light etc but your interim set-up runs the risk of unwanted attention, no?

Sorry, lots of questions here :oops: but only because I like what you've done and am tasting some bitter pangs of envy :twisted:

Cheers,

Cheers Andy - not sure about group orders for this one but, hey, never say never... ;-)

I have a number plate board made up with a lamp fitted already - it will go through the centre of the wheel puting the plate where it is now. I have run the cable in from the rear tailgate all ready for this which I will endeavour to show plod if he stops me - daytime running only at present with daring doo's :roll:

Shoot, the number of people I saw carrying bikes on the backs of their cars which obstructed the lights & numbers plates on Saturday travelling to Snowdon & back would/should ( :p ) have filled a days work for PC Plum...

Gavlad said:
Cheers Andy - not sure about group orders for this one but, hey, never say never... ;-)
No worries, I know you're keeping your powder dry for the group order on the front bumper :idea:

Andrew Prince said:
No worries, I know you're keeping your powder dry for the group order on the front bumper

Gonna have to give up the day job....

You could probably make a good living flogging the quality bits made using Col's labour :twisted:

Andrew Prince said:
You could probably make a good living flogging the quality bits made using Col's labour

Not at his shop rates I couldn't :-(

Looking good Gav. Don't most designs use the catch to pull the arm down tight onto a nylon block so friction holds it steady rather than the clamp which just supplies clamping force :D

OT - those pics reminded me your tyres have been through Chas' hole ;) :lol:

Cheers Jon - I'm verging on happy with the way its at :cool: The problem with the clamp has been realised having mooched about a few forums since doing what I have done... Hey ho... Maybe I should stop trying to re-invent the wheel...

And as for Chas's hole, had I known that, I would never have bought them ;-)

Shame that lane is now OOB... Perhaps in the future...

Paul said:
I think something along the lines of the standard one might solve your problem, that has a locating mount to take the weight separate from the lock so that it only has to lock and not support the frame as well.
I was thinking the same thing on another thread & using the Dr Wildsmith made the following point:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Don't put a latch on the body for a chassis mounted carrier, that won't be good when they flex.
Saved me a heap of wasted effort!!!

Ah yes, forgot about the body flex thing, will have to get that drawing board out again :|

Back