Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 100 up on the ramp need some advice please:

big-yin

Country Flag
scotland
Afternoon

So after having BigGreen (99 4.2TDi Auto) on the ramp at work today I have a few things I'd like some advice on if that is OK.

On the front, both sides, there is a bit of play in the wheels so that is being looked at. In addition we noticed that where the U bend arm that meets the join which goes to the wheel it is weeping, top ball joint gaitor apparently. Sorry for trying to describe it, hope it makes sense:

Also the rear suspension is weeping. Does anyone know if you can just have them re-sealed or if you need to get new unit? Then it would be a question of how far before you'd be better replacing the AHC for something else...

Also needs a new tyre, which I knew, front discs/pads need replacing and rear silencer has a hole in it so will go look for straight pipe.

Work today being done is new brake fluid and rear diff fluid being done.

Thanks.

The upper ball joint rubber cover can be replaced. But you'd have to check that there is no movement/slack and no rust in the joint. Otherwise you'd be better off changing the ball joint. There are good 3rd party joints, with a grease nipple even, that can be pressed in. T0yota sells only the complete upper arm with the joint, afaik.
What is leaking at the rear?

Thanks, will look into it. The rear are seeping, you can see it on the shiny silver metal part, there is a residue on it.

I suppose you mean the rear shocks (or what looks like shocks, actually hydraulic rams). If they are just a bit sweaty, it's ok, as long as there is no dripping. They last longer than normal shocks, normally until they rust apart.
I also have a sweating rear shock, but as long as I keep everything well covered in Fluid Film, it doesn't show. I think it comes from me using excessive force when forcing it off the lower mount without loosening the top, once for putting a new plastic outer tube on (rusted away), and once for changing the springs to brown dot ones.

Back