Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80 is gone

Yawood

Country Flag
australia
I've just sold my 1991 HDJ80R, it went this evening. I was the second owner and have had it for 16 years so it was quite sad to see it go. We had three vehicles for the two of us (a BMW520d, a Ford Falcon ute with a tipper body and the 80) and we are currently selling our house and downsizing to ensure that we can live comfortably on our pensions, so something had to go. I almost sold the ute and kept the 80 but rationally it was better the other way and I haven't really used the 80 much for years.

01 IMG_2439 resized.jpg
03 IMG_2438 resized.jpg

The new owner got a great buy. Other than peeling clear coat on the bonnet and roof, it was in great condition and only had 214,000 km (133,000 miles) on the clock. Before I changed my mind about which vehicle to sell I put new Bridgestone D697's on it and bought the new rotors, pads and second hand callipers for the front brake upgrade. All of that went with it along with a stock of spares (three air cleaners, four oil filters and two fuel filters - all genuine). I also threw in an ARB full length steel roof rack.

27 IMG_2437 resized.jpg

I advertised it for AUD 14,000 and the phone rang off the hook. I must have taken between 25 to 30 calls and had people pleading with me to ring them back if the first looker didn't take it but he did with no quibble over the price. So I suppose that means I priced it too low but I thought the paint would drag it down. I particularly wanted it to go to someone who was going to use it and enjoy it and I turned down the first caller when he gave me a low offer and it was obvious he was just going to flip it.

04 IMG_2440 resized.jpg

The new owner lives in a rural area near the Victorian high country and has two boys so I think it will be well and truly used and enjoyed.

Anyway, I'll stay on the forum and put in my two bob's worth every now and then. Thanks for being so welcoming. 11 IMG_2452 resized.jpg

Sorry to see & hear Yawood the loss of your beloved 80. I can only imagine the attachment you have mine being of 5 years only. I trust you hold many wonderful memories to last a life time. Thanks for sharing.

Nice looking cruiser - im sure the new owner will be happy with it!!

Commiserations Yawood i hope the sensible option proves to be the right choice for you my pension plan , if i actually get there , involves a V8 mobility scooter and marrying a rich 18 year old cheerleader :icon-biggrin:

It must be very hard to take such a decision, so hats off to you for letting go of your beloved 80.

I'll probably be faced with the same dilemma one day, but I'd rather not think about that until the time comes.

Thanks for sharing and stick around, you never know what's coming next...

Commiserations Yawood i hope the sensible option proves to be the right choice for you my pension plan , if i actually get there , involves a V8 mobility scooter and marrying a rich 18 year old cheerleader :icon-biggrin:

Shayne a guy I know in Kent, has done something similar with a Disability Scooter:D not sure if its road legal..... yet,
If you find a rich 18 yr old cheerleader, see if she's got a twin sister will ya:D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad to see it go to a nice buyer. My cruiser has been in the family for nearly 17 years now, so I know how you must be feeling.

Thanks for the replies. I bought it for AU$20k 16 years ago so the depreciation has only been AU$375 per year. It doesn't come much cheaper than that. We will live very comfortably on our pensions so if I want to do a trip I'll just hire a Cruiser for a few weeks.

Back