Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80 Series Build

Fraser

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi - Here is the progress I have made since I purchased my 80 last year. I will add to this post as I get time...
this post might not be totally accurate as things happened.... but it all did happen lol

The previous owner had installed a Detroit front locker, rear drawer system, duel-battery system, off-road shocks and springs and steering damper. Front custom 5mm steel bumper, rear 5mm steel bumper with spare wheel carrier, poly bushes,

The day I got her, with a weird roof rack and not much else!

1st pic.jpg

First things that had to go, all the stickers from previous owner and that roof rack was a gonner!
2014-01-20 07.30.37.jpg

Then some Smash and Grab tinting, a cargo barrier, cargo rack
2014-01-20 14.32.34.jpgIMG_6064.jpg
20140128_164319.jpg20140129_074802.jpg

Next a bit of off roading with some mates. I had the old 'recovery points' removed and fitted some proper ones on the front and rear, sorted out the licence, removed the front mounted water tank, as the winch is going in that space later on.
2014-02-09 14.08.26.jpg2014-01-30 08.57.17.jpg2014-01-30 08.44.35.jpg

Next was a 20' light bar, LED spots, tyre pressure monitor, front cooler and radio's installed, rear fridge, Kenwood entertainment system including head rest screens and front and rear cameras, a trannie cover, Escape Gear Seat Covers, dash cover, dash cam,...
2014-08-01 13.51.52.jpg20140927_153353.jpgIMG-20140829-WA0004.jpgIMG_6057.jpgIMG_20140128_163034.jpgIMG_6078.jpgIMG_6068.JPG

IMG_6056.jpgIMG_6055.jpgIMG_6079.JPGIMG_6067.JPG

Then the head light upgrade kit (+300% light), diff and transfer case + gearbox breathers, New ARB compressor and front diff lock,
IMG_6069.jpgIMG_6074.JPGIMG_6075.jpgIMG_6070.JPG

In between all this I had the vehicle rewired as the previous owners had made a bit of a mess, also added a inverter, USB charging plugs up front, and 220v at the back. Added 2 extra fuse boxes front and rear for all the added extras... Some LED interior lighting brightened things up...
2014-03-12 13.11.18.jpgIMG_6065.jpg

On one of the grade 5 trails I had done in September last year I quickly realized 31' tyres were not going to cut it... the mag rims that were on the vehicle, also had the wrong offset. I got hold of a set of 80 series steel rims that the vehicle came out with originally, and fitted a set of BF muds 33's. Yeez what a difference on and off road!! Around that time I got my custom number plates done...
IMG_6053.jpgIMG_6054.jpg

Had a complete suspension, brakes, engine break down and rebuild done, if it can move or wear it was replaced... and added a new custom hood liner
IMG_6072.JPG

Came across a gent that makes custom goodies for 80 series, got my self a set of gull wing doors that fit in place of the side rear sliding windows. Very nice, I will be building boxes inside them this coming leave cycle....
20150128_130836.jpg20150128_130909.jpg20150128_130850.jpg20150128_131343.jpg20150128_151509.jpg

NEXT! was a drop slider for my Engel fridge... this is the best thing ever!!
20150208_084347.jpg20150208_084433.jpg20150208_084511.jpg

Found a descent roof rack and RTT made by eazy-awn - 2nd hand, got it for a bargain! top stuff! Note the new Light bar :) that thing is bright!! Had a custom 270 degree awnwing installed at the same time, lovely bit of kit!
IMG_6465.JPGIMG_6464.jpgIMG_6468.jpgIMG_6473.jpg

Winch build! I refused to fit a ready made winch ready bull bar, so elected to modify my existing bumper, so we cut it up, fitted the winch on its cradle between the front chassis members, all nice new shiny bolts and cables etc... added some paint, alot of welding, and rebuilt the bumper around the winch! now the whole bumper and winch fits as one unit onto the chassis legs with 8 x M12 bolts very strong! I found a recon original Toyota winch that came off a 80 series from Botswana....
7.jpg20150115_112701.jpg20150115_112714.jpg20150115_123837.jpg20150116_101238 - Copy.jpg20150117_162427.jpg20150119_095804.jpg20150119_113430.jpg20150119_145044.jpgIMG_6465.JPG

I added the LED head light bulbs at the same time, with the new 21k Lumen LB. I now have a awesome amount of light instead of the pathetic original lights the 80 came with..

I have installed a 80L Water tank behind the rear seat, it sits on top of the drawer system and their is just enough room for the fridge and its slide, at the moment it is just connected to the back with a tap, I purchased a 12v shower kit, that draws water from the tank and works very well, a bit cold though....

Ok I think that's about it...

So now for the to do list... I really hate this list!!

1. will be building a stilt jacking system so that I can lift and fit my roof rack on my own as I cannot fit it into my garage, the process must be done outside.
2. Will be fabricating my own rock sliders hopefully in June if I have the time.
3. Must fit the rear light bar and the tent and awning LED strips
4. I will be installing a heat ex-changer, aka copper pipe wrapped around the exhaust with a 12v pump to circulate the water from the water tank to facilitate hot showers...
5. i need to strip, clean, unblock my 2 petrol tanks and their breather pipes as there is pressure build up happening.
6. Minor service is due.
7. Storage Boxes on inside of the gullwing doors.
8. Must take the top surround off the roof rack to lower the profile of my RTT, might leave the rear half on to secure cargo...

Last edited:
Great build thread. Makes a change from reading my own! Watching with interest. Though I might have to get another 80 to put the bits on I pinch from you.....

Oh not not again..

Hi Chris & thanks... you welcome to hi-jack ideas, just as I do ... lol

ok so updates will allways be on post 1 of this thread... adding more now...

Nice looking motor you've got there

We so need a group buy on those gull wing side panels. If you wanna pop some in the post ......

I have the same fridge slide. It's great.

I would be so interested in some gullwings, I have tried a couple of manufactures but so expensive, by the time you get them here

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd like them even without boxes behind. I have the solid windows which I like, but there are times when i could really do with the sliders when trying to reach things. Just not having glass would be a good thing and then being able to reach inside and get stuff. Man I won't sleep tonight.

Did I hear somebody mention a group buy? Count me in please.

ok those side panels require no cutting or drilling its just remove windowsget hold of a set of solid window rubbers from toyota and fit the steel gullwings. its a 20 minute job. they cost £220 per set ex Johannesburg. ihave no clue what the courier fee would be to the u.k let me know if any of you want the manufacturers details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd be interested, if enough people want a set it would reduce the P&P.

I'd have a set. That's a lot of working out and fabrication for the money in my book. As I already have solid windows they'd be a straight swap.

We kinda need someone at the other end and somewhere to post them to at this end. But if you think I am arranging another group buy ... I wouldn't mind if there were sent hear, but I am not doing the money thing again. It was a narrow escape last time. We need to see if the seller would be prepared to deal with us.

I can supply them if its easier for y'all, saves the import hassle
ill get some prices..

Great build thread, love the truck! Your rear storage set-up looks ideal, just what I'm after in terms of drawer/fridge layout. Only thing I was thinking about was a small false floor to create an area below the drawers for camping chairs, foldaway table and awning sides - do you have a specific area for such things? Are the drawers a DIY job from the previous owner, or a purchased kit? :)

I can supply them if its easier for y'all, saves the import hassle
ill get some prices..

:thumbup: Right on Stan, keep us informed please.

Great build thread, love the truck! Your rear storage set-up looks ideal, just what I'm after in terms of drawer/fridge layout. Only thing I was thinking about was a small false floor to create an area below the drawers for camping chairs, foldaway table and awning sides - do you have a specific area for such things? Are the drawers a DIY job from the previous owner, or a purchased kit? :)

Thanks Mike! I have never considered underfloor storage as I have a long range tank down their... my chairs etc go to the cargo carrier above the fridge so I use that space in the roof that does nothing.... the drawers are the same as what Chris has... I forget the name now...

lights!

For some reason these two pics just did not want to sit in the correct spot in the 1st post.... weird....

Fitted some self adhesive LED strip lights to the pillars and a LED bar to the inside of the tail gate... awesome lights!

IMG_6063.JPGIMG_6066.JPG

An LED light bar is something else I need to sort - where did you wire them into?

An LED light bar is something else I need to sort - where did you wire them into?
Mine are wired to main beam via a relay with switch in the cab to switch off but keep mains on if necessary.

The drawers are African Outback. Truck looking good. I love the EziAwn tent but the ladder is something I always felt I'd want to change or at least buy slippers with steel midsoles in them. They're very thin. Not something to climb in bare feet.

Stan you are the man for sure. If you could land some of these here in the UK put me down for set 0001. You know I am good for it.

Back