Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80's new bumper modification "Redneck Style"

Cptsideways

Garage
My HDJ81 is a Jap spec one with the extra long front bumper, no idea why but it its about 10" deep. So its a squeeze getting it in my garage loosing 10" would be handy!!

So having a big clearout from the garage the other day & I came across some 3" steel heavy gauge tube & thought I know I'll fix that bumper issue.

Took me an afternoon to fabricate it, still some extra bits to do like some extra mounting points & a winch plate to come (not that I need a winch) then finish it off with the original colour grey paint etc. So here it is for now as it will sort of look with a quick coat of black. Note my 81 has an extra plastic trim piece that I dont think 80's have?? sort of hiding the gappage between the body.

What do you think?
Before & the big long 81 series JDM front bumper
2011-11-05_15-14-27_665.jpg

2012-03-12%2018.35.23.jpg

2012-03-12%2017.55.12.jpg

Minimalist and most excellent. Capt we salute you :text-bravo:

Chris

Certainly minimalist as Chris has already said. :thumbup:

Cptsideways said:
........ still some extra bits to do like some extra mounting points & a winch plate to come (not that I need a winch) then finish it off with the original colour grey paint.....

I thought that the new regs required a winch to be fitted if you have a winch bumper? :?

Isn't there some limitation on age of vehicle before that kicks in?

Chris

Cptsideways said:
Note my 81 has an extra plastic trim piece that I dont think 80's have?? sort of hiding the gappage between the body.

I've also got a similar plastic trim between my bumper and body, I thought they were standard :think:

Edit: forgot to say, looks much better :thumbup:

It looks like a late bumper on an early truck causing it to stick out so far. The plastic spacer is for the winch equipped models i think. Later models seem to have got a 1 piece bumper incorporating the plastic spacer, but in this instance there's a deep later bumper and the spacer. Not that any of that matters now of course...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The plastic part is definately original, mine is a "van" spec if that makes any difference.

Just checked on Toyodiy in the parts ref: Mine originally had a skinny bumper, so where does the big bumper come from??

The big bumper comes from the 24v 80. The plastic infill is on the imports where the bumper is slightly further forward.

Karl

Chris said:
Isn't there some limitation on age of vehicle before that kicks in?

Chris
Did the bar have to be fitted before 2006 some time?

Gra.

Hi
Is it weaker than the chasis? Otherwise a bump might bend the latter.

Cheers
Frank

Sadly I can't see the photos in "Dropbox"

Gra.

Back