Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My '84 FJ40 restoration project

Ricky_UK

Country Flag
uk
I am just about to begin the restoration of my recently purchased '84 FJ40. It's having the works. Engine and running gear out for a refurb and clean, full rewire, as the previous owner obviously didn't understand electricity. The body is coming off and will be taken back to metal, beat back in to shape and resprayed, colour TBC. The interior is getting a facelift too. Exciting times ahead. I'm hoping to get the project done in around 6 months and I'll keep updates rolling in, advice and feedback welcome!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi Ricky and welcome to the forum.

Your 40 appears to have numerous prissy bits attached to it but still looks very sound, although I guess the full extent of any suspect areas is yet to be discovered. Must admit that I do quite like the design of the rear seats, with individual backs and swobs. Being an 84 does it have the PS and front discs?

I shall follow your progress with interest.

You may get more followers if the administrators move this thread into the 40 section... just a thought

Regards,

Hi Ricky and welcome to the forum.

Your 40 appears to have numerous prissy bits attached to it but still looks very sound, although I guess the full extent of any suspect areas is yet to be discovered. Must admit that I do quite like the design of the rear seats, with individual backs and swobs. Being an 84 does it have the PS and front discs?

I shall follow your progress with interest.

You may get more followers if the administrators move this thread into the 40 section... just a thought

Regards,
Hi Rodger,

I've only just purchased her whilst working in Pakistan for the next couple of years. she does have some added extras that arnt quite to taste but I'll see to them during the project! I've had a good look round her and she isn't in too bad a state. But if your going to do something do it properly right? She doesn't have the disks or PS but again looking to take care of that during the project. I'm quite new the the land cruiser scene and would be grateful for any advice/things to look out for and recommendations. I'll try to update the post with works periodically. What are your thoughts on keeping it as original as possible or making a few upgrades?

Regards
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

There is quite an active 40 forum in Pakistan, I'll try and dig out the link as it has been a while since I was on there.
Upgrades? I think it is each to his own and personally I have nothing against improving a great product. Probably be very hard to find a completely original truck and providing (as you say) the job is done right then it's not a problem and in many ways it will enhance the appeal of the truck.
Mine is extensively modified and nobody has complained (yet). I think the art is to keep the look of the truck but mechanical mods are no problem but then again the reaction on here to the chap in Oz who is going to 'hotrod' a 40 was positive (me included).

Regards,

Back