Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My car has developed an oil leak.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
This will be the first time my car has developed a problem.
It has a biggish oil leak and seems to be coming from the passenger side back of the engine.
I have checked my oil levels for engine oil and seem to be ok.
I did notice the oil colour looks lighter than engine oil and not as thick.
I have tried to find the leak but seems pointless as cant see from the top of the engine without removing everything.
I cant see under the car as it just seems to come from the back of the engine.
My only conclusion is its either the gearbox gasket failed or a o ring of somesort.
Im no mechanic so not sure what im looking for.
Any ideas guys as feel i cant drive with out topping my gearbox oil up but tgen how much do i top up with.
To much you damage the box to little you damage the box.
The engine oil sump nut is just dripping with oil but running down the back of the engine on to the engine sump.

Hi - I don’t know if yours is petrol/diesel or manual/auto. I think the first stage is to know what the fluid is.

I suppose there a few general possibilities:
1. Engine oil - tends to be dark in a Diesel engine (unless it’s new). Cleaner in petrol engines.
2. Gearbox oil - manual gbox has a distinctive smell, thicker than engine oil. Auto oil is usually reddish or brownish depending on condition.
3. Brake or clutch fluid
4. Coolant
5. Power steering
Oil leaks can look much bigger that they are because it spreads out so much but not to say you should ignore it. First step is to check all reservoirs/dipsticks and work out what the fluid is.

Any recent maintenance done?

I'd get it up some ramps, get under there with some degreaser to clean it all up then see if you can get any more clues as to where its coming from.

Hope its not the main seal, but I haven't heard of that being a problem on these?

my car is 3.0d4d auto.
Gearbox still working perfectly at the moment.
Brakes stop the car and steering is perfect but i have watched a few clips on youtube in Australia and main seal is common over there..
I have been under the car with it on ramps but just looks wet and dripping with fluid. Hard to tell what is leaking because i think the answer is getting to it from the top of the engine.

On my 2006 there was a plastic bung on the left side of the engine block towards the rear which was a teardrop shape held in with one bolt. It has an O ring behind it and was leaking quite badly. The plastic was aged so I replaced the whole thing for not much money from Toyota.

I had to clean the area with brake cleaner initially and left for a day or so before I could confirm that is where it was coming from.

No issues after replacing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes - That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Tony - I would still recommend being sure what the fluid is. If it’s dripping, you can collect it and check. Then you can narrow down your search. That’s how l would start. Good luck with it.

Ye thats my next plan of action is to sample the oil and clean off as much oil as possible.
I have never changed the transmission oil on my lc5 but changed the engine oil last year.
I will report my findings to all and hope its a cheap fix.

Many thanks to all who replied and information given.

Yes very true karl and sad part is i will have to drive the wifes fiesta to work till i get it fixed.

Is it really that bad that it has to be off the road? Is it totally pissing out? Most old cars leak sommat somewhere!

Update on my freaky oil leak.
I put my car into my friend's garage to diagnosis my oil leak.
The leak was on the passenger side rear of the engine.
I was thinking the worst case scenario that my main crank seal in my gearbox leaking but to my surprise it was ok.
The culprit turned out to be rust around the top of my oil filter so hopefully fixed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210814_070654_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210814_070654_com.whatsapp.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 58
I have had the car over 2 yrs now.
I have done a oil change last year but never changed the filter as way mega tight.
I never has the correct tool to remove at the time so left on.
Age of oil filter god knows..
Good result is always a good result.
Many thanks guys for your interest and support and information.
This is why i love my LC5 because so does everyone else. :text-bravo::flags-ukraine::text-thankyoublue::text-thankyouyello:

I always put the filter on hand tight on mine - as tight as I can by hand and that will do.

I don't like using tools to put them on, don't know about anyone else here....

Of course you might need a tool to get it off - especially if someone else screwed it on using a socket and a scaffolding pole...

I'm the same, hand tight when putting a new one on. Always needs a tool to remove, I use one of those chain tools to remove it, never lets me down

Hi Tony - I’m glad this worked out easy and cheap for you - and lucky you noticed the leak before the corrosion perforated your filter completely, causing all the oil to be lost when you were driving along.

I favour using a rubber/canvas strap wrench or a chain wrench (the type with a 1/2” socket drive) on my 1KZ engine to remove the filter. Hand tight only when fitting the new filter.

I change the filter at every oil change.

Back