Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Hilux Build

rguid

Country Flag
australia
Found this forum after a mate buying a 78 series troopy and happy to show off my hilux build, because everyone likes photos

Bought it very stock last year with big plans

IMG_1012_zpsxicylqgh.jpg

Booked it in the first week for all new
EFS suspension with airbag man rear airbag assist and rancho adjustable shocks.
TJM bullbar with ironman 9000lB winch
TJM snorkel

Then took it home and the rest of the work commenced
BFG All Terrain KOs 265 70 16 on black sunnies
Matson DCDC converter with solar input
Piranah dual battery tray
Outback roof console
Remote handheld UHF
FyrLyt spot lights
36" light bar
Buds customs rock sliders
Under body protection
SR5 gaurd flares

IMG_1249_zpsqlo7kgiu.jpg

custom work to outback roof console, dual battery monitoring and remote uhf mounted inside with mic mounted to the side.

25_zpsgefpyyzq.jpg

26_zpsvkzmd75r.jpg

Then it was time to start attacking the tray and canopy. Stripped the tray down like a mechano kit, chopped it down to dual cab length. Then sent it off the the powdercoaters and made a steel frame for the new canopy to sit on the chassis rails

IMG_1430_zpsjrddwawx.jpg

IMG_1391_zpsgejhwmm6.jpg

Then had the custom canopy built by MW toolbox centre and fitted it up.

b01ee819-6bc6-4442-8d07-c66534928664_zpsxt4fqlh3.jpg

Then most recently installed central locking and tilt activated lighting in the canopy with a nice little carpet panel to hide all the wiring and fuse box etc. Made a little pocket to put charging phones and headtorches

35_zps3qvz08ba.jpg

34_zpstdoowthd.jpg

Then finally got around to putting two 90 watt solar panels on the roof of the canopy

Shame we don't get this in the UK - that looks really good.

Is shortening the tray-back something that is done fairly routinely down under? Love the powder coated end result and the work you've done to the canopy. :sunglasses:

One minor point - how do you find the light bar output, given that it is mounted so far back on the roof?

P.S. You might want to see a doctor about that black spot on your face! ;)

Nice Hilux build. Lots of neat kit.
Shame we don't have a lot of the off the shelf kit for Hilux here in UK, like rocksliders. I have read in some Hilux forums that "bud" kit can be really slow to get made sometimes, did you get on ok with them ?
Look forward to more updates

That looks great Rguid! I've seen a few utility trucks here that have a similar set up, tree surgeons, that sort of thing but they are usually based on bigger wagons, Isuzu Elf, Mainly Ford Transits, and of course the Land Rovers.

Nice job. Like the lighting.
What is the purpose of the conversion?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Guys

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Had never seen anyone shorten a tray like this before, my last ute had a similar canopy that rested ontop the tray and i noticed so much wasted space between the tray and chassis rails and thought.. why not?
I have gained heaps of extra space and lowered the canopy floor considerably than if it was tray top, making access way easier on a raised vehicle. Also with the built in the drop boxes either side of the chassis rails, good for mounted air compressor, rags and tools.
Only regrets is the design flaw, when I'm parked in a carpark close with other vehicles the length of the canopy door needs so much swing out space.

First light bar I've had on a truck, spent some descent coin on it (not a cheap chinese import) and it is UNREAL, so stoked with my lighting setup.

Mostly using the ute for camping and work so far. Future plans of building a drawer that slides out one side and a fridge out the other with a cage over so can stack stuff ontop.

In my experience buds customs were really fast and a great product! Maybe i was just lucky?

Back