Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Landcruiser, on ebay

Very nice! I am watching and thinking... And thinking..... I was planning on getting an 80 series this year but not quite so early on.... Mmm

It's a great truck. Very nice and a great deal of work done to it - some nice touches. 12v manual too. Not too many around. The roof rack looks like African Outback.

Shame it's not what I am after, or I'd be round in a flash.

Chris

Very nice! I am watching and thinking... And thinking..... I was planning on getting an 80 series this year but not quite so early on.... Mmm

Well, you'd be welcome to come and have a look if you wanted.....I can put the kettle on!

She is fitted with free-wheeling front hubs too! So, you can rock around in 2WD on the road and just flick into 4WD when needed....
So has the center diff been modified to enable 2WD?

Also, what are the spacers for that space the bonnet off the hinges?
lchingespace.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Also, what are the spacers for that space the bonnet off the hinges?
I think thats a West Coast 4x4 thang to lift the back of the bonnet up Paul - air flow or sommat loike dat... IIRC it was a block of aloominum...

Last edited:
That's what I thought too Gav, I'm supprised uncle Fester didn't mention them then.

Sill can't work out why it's got FWH's if it hasn't had a part time 4x4 mod done though :think:

Because it saves a lot of fuel!

The front hubs are manually switchable. The mechanicals are still in 4WD, it is just that the front wheels are disconnected. It really isn't that unusual.
However, it does make her slightly quicker and a darn sight less thirsty around town.

The bonnet was lifted on the ali blocks by previous owner. Yes, its a 'styling' thing. It is not something I feel strongly about either way hence why I am happy to just leave them as they are. I guess that is why I didnt bother to mention them.

But then I didn't mention a lot of other things either like polybushes!

Last edited:

The Australian magazine "4WD Action" recently carried out a number of tests to confirm or deny if there is a fuel saving in day to day real world driving. Their findings indicate that there is no discernable difference. When I fitted solid flanges to my KZJ70 I didn't notice any increase in fuel consumption.

Roger

The front hubs are manually switchable. The mechanicals are still in 4WD, it is just that the front wheels are disconnected. It really isn't that unusual.
However, it does make her slightly quicker and a darn sight less thirsty around town.
How can it possibly save on fuel?

The idea of a FWH is so that the front wheels can be disconnected from the front drive train on switchable 2/4WD vehicles. On those vehicles the use of FWH does indeed stop the whole front drive train being rotated and a slight improvement in MPG is gained.

Fitting FWH to an 80 that is full time 4WD is.... well, a complete waste of time because the drive train is still being driven by the transfer box :doh: In fact for your vehicle to move you must have to lock the centre diff?

The bonnet was lifted on the ali blocks by previous owner. Yes, its a 'styling' thing....
It's not a style thing, the 80 is renown for generating a lot of heat under the bonnet. By lifting the rear of the bonnet it allows some of the heat to escape.

I know my way around kitted up 4X4's....
Aye, but it looks like the 80 is in a different league :icon-biggrin:

Less drag, it is simple.

No, of course you don't have to lock the centre diff. If you removed the front prop the front diff would still turn with the front wheels. This is the same principle, it disconnects the drag and weight of the front wheels from the driven train.

Freewheeling hubs are not uncommon!

Yes, the LC is in a different league in terms of build quality and solidity. The white Dakar would go places the LC (and most other vehicles) can only dream about but wasn't much fun to drive on the road.

Manual Hubs
I'm not questioning that they are fitted.

As I said earlier my question was what is the point on a permanent 4x4?

Unless your 80 has the option to switch between 2WD and 4WD you will go nowhere until you lock the centre diff.... which in turn means all the drivetrain is still being driven.... which ultimately defeats the object of fitting the FWH in the first place.

Are you sure you haven't got the 2WD mod on your 80? If you have it will be worth mentioning it in your ad :thumbup:

Less drag, it is simple.

No, of course you don't have to lock the centre diff. If you removed the front prop the front diff would still turn with the front wheels. This is the same principle, it disconnects the drag and weight of the front wheels from the driven train.

Freewheeling hubs are not uncommon!
Matt, you are clearly getting well confused here, I think you need to do a little research :icon-wink:

you don't need to.................
It isn't nessessary on these vehicles. They do not need a 2WD modification to the transfer box.

you don't need to.................
It isn't nessessary on these vehicles. They do not need a 2WD modification to the transfer box.

You are so very wrong Matt, but I'll not try and help any more :icon-wink:

Back