Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Landcruiser, on ebay

Well please tell me how she drives beautifully in either setting.
And please tell me why there is advice from WestCoast regarding engaging 4wd at least once a month or so to ensure correct lubrication,

If I am wrong Im happy to be corrected, but this LC works and drives beautifully in either setting...
Why would WestCoast fit these if it doesn't work?

i had a 4runner which was selectable 2wd or 4wd, i fitted freehubs are didnt really see any fuel saving between running in 2wd with and without the freehubs

in our full time 4wd 95-series - driving back from Alps to Scotland last summer i removed the front prop, due to a CV joint issue, and fuel economy was same as driving down there with the front-prop connected

we have an explanation........thanks to Paul at West Coast

This vehicle is fitted with a kit from Australia so the centre diff lock button is effectively the 4wd button. I have never yet driven her in 4wd as my life, has significantly changed as the opportunity hasn't been there.

The transfer box is indeed 2wd. YOU ARE RIGHT! Now she needs the diff locked to be in 4wd.

You are right, I bow

we have an explanation........thanks to Paul at West Coast

Bugger I just typed a long winded explanation to your earlier post :icon-biggrin:

Well done Matt, thanks for contacting Paul at West Coast.

Now get that added to your eBay ad because that is certainly a plus point :thumbup:

Gosh, I'm glad that got sorted out :icon-wink:

Matt, could you measure the thickness of the ally packers on the bonnet please? Looks to be about an inch... I have some plastic thingies that look like they'd do that job nicely :icon-cool:

BTW, the truck looks great; what size are the 'treps?

Update: (because I've had work to do!)

I had a long chat with Paul at West Coast.
Basically the last two years have been full of caring for my mother who has 30% brain damage so I bought the LC as I fell in love with it, but besides the boot install and a service have never really either used it or learned my way around it.

Paul, who is a God, has run me through just how much kit is fitted and how much work has been done to her..........He used to own her, and then he sold her to a very very close friend of his - hence why West Coast did so much work.

The upshot
Once I have finished this post I am pulling the auction -I just cannot part with this truck. Sure it'll be a pain to 'keep' as she'll be parked at work, but I just cannot sell her.

Paul - thank you, This forum - thank you

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Enthusiasm has returned.
Gonna sort the seat height and position out and the windows............

Enthusiasm has returned.
Gonna sort the seat height and position out and the windows............
That's great news Matt, you would have only regretted it if you sold it.

Glad you decided to keep your 80. :)

Last edited:
I know we have settled the 2wd 4wd debate but be assured that the 80 will drive with no front prop and the CD unlocked. I know cos I did it a couple of weeks ago
The VC gives enough drive on the flat

C

Unless your 80 has the option to switch between 2WD and 4WD you will go nowhere until you lock the centre diff.... which in turn means all the drive train is still being driven.... which ultimately defeats the object of fitting the FWH in the first place.
This is exactly what I am thinking.
What is the point of fitting front axle free wheeling hubs, if you are
~~~still turning the transfer box,
~~~the front prop, the front diff,
~~~the 2 front axles?
I don't thing for one minute there will be any fuel savings at all.

Gra.

Well please tell me how she drives beautifully in either setting.
And please tell me why there is advice from WestCoast regarding engaging 4wd at least once a month or so to ensure correct lubrication,

If I am wrong Im happy to be corrected, but this LC works and drives beautifully in either setting...
Why would WestCoast fit these if it doesn't work?

If you disconnect the internals of a front axle by the use of free wheeling hubs i.e. a standard part time system, the natural lubrication of the various parts within the axle by splash will stop. This includes the diff. unit, the pivot bearings and the CV joints. To lube this points you need to activate the system. Next time you stop at a junction, engage 4 wheel drive (button or lever) and drive like this for a mile or so. Then just disengage the 4 wheel drive at the next stop point.

Roger

if you read the first part of the advert, you'll understand why.

I half-killed myself last saturday too, sorting the sidesteps, windows and cleaning her! She is such a lovely truck.

This decision is torture.

Im afraid not - with a very very heavy heart I sold her yesterday morning for £9500. I have a deposit, and the rest is being transferred tomorrow,

I have never agonised over selling a car as much as I am over this one.

Hope the transactions goes smoothly.

Trying to look on the bright side, at least you seem to have realised a decent price for your truck.

Back