Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My lane Sunday 29 March 2015

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
I've driven this track from my house up the hill so many times, but I'm usually alone, so I don't take photos as a rule.

It rained this weekend, non-stop, all day Friday through to Sunday afternoon, then it sort of stopped. So I jumped in the truck and went for a 2 hour reccie to find the start of the track that goes over the mountains northwards to Azuga and on to Brasov.

Had no intention of going far, the going was very wet and that would be quite dangerous on the mountain soil tracks, it's very easy to side-slip over the edge on the ridge, or contouring, anyway I went...

image.jpg

The first difficulty is always this stream crossing. Scuse the rubbish, but the villagers have a lot to learn about environmental protection :icon-rolleyes:.

So I parked up at the top of the hill and took a walk down to see what state the track was in. As usual after rain, the trickle was more of a stream and the left hand bend means the rear left wheel wants to slide sideways down the gully. If I'd did it would be curtains, so I decided to go straight on up the stream (to the left of these photos).

image.jpgP

That pesky 30mm diameter concrete pipe is a pain. Anyway, if I keep hard right my left tyre just rubs it, no wonder the side walls on my ATs are shagged! Going this way means a tread wash then a tight left up the stream bank to bring me back around onto the track.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now for the left turn up the bank. There's a big rock that's too heavy for a weedy fella like me. I'll winch it away one day, but for the moment it's doing no harm.

image.jpg

View attachment 18476

So so pretty much on full steer left, lockers off, she climbed her way up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is is the nice grassy bit that takes me back to the track...

image.jpg

Once back on track, the next part is easy. It's steepish, rocky and very muddy, but the 80 eats it up no problem.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The right hander next can be messy in the wet. It's solid clay in the dry, but I've had it sink over the axle here, up to the top of the rim.

To try to avoid that, I put her in low 3rd fully locked, and got some momentum behind her. It needs it here, because there's a half meter step up out of the mud at the end of the curve. If you stop on that lift, it's a non-starter a second time and nothing but the winch will pull you up.

The momentum trick worked though, and up we went! :icon-biggrin:

It's a narrow track with occasional rocks either side, so a bit of care is needed to save tearing a sidewall, the only criticism I have with GG ATs is the weak sidewalls.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

To the top, where we meet the asphalt road. It's a bit of a step up, but nothing for the truck.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then it's back into high and up the serpentine asphalt track, over the top, then the steep hairpins down to Secaria.

Using goggle earth, I followed the river upstream, across bridges and shallow fordings, and then climbing up the slippery track. I didn't take any photos of this part, I spent most of my time fully locked trying to make some way. It was so slippery on the ATs, at times I was even sliding backwards.

Anyway, I got to a suitable turning area, knowing that I had found the right track for the mountain ridge ride I want to take the August Romania 2015 trip on.

image.jpg

image.jpg

So so on the way back down, I had the luxury of stopping for a few snaps.

image.jpg

image.jpg

A little patch of snow, you just have to drive through it, don't you?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is where it was the slipperiest, where I was sliding backwards on the way up!

image.jpg

And and on down till we were back on the black stuff.

image.jpg

To the left turn back down my track...

image.jpg

It it drops quite steeply from the road. Why is it steep just never looks steep on photos?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And and back to the muddy, now left hander, with the drop-in...

image.jpg

Which of of course is invisible on a photo...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back through the stream the way I came up, many times I've got too close to the edge, so I play it safe now.

image.jpg

This is part is particularly muddy, fully locked to get up this in the wet, there's no option other than winching if you stop.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then it was an easy run back down to the house...

image.jpg

These are from last weekend when it was sunny!

image.jpg

I also seem seem to be short on drab winter shots of the house, so here's an Autum photo!

Home safely to a hot supper before leaving back to Bucharest...

Edit, and I wonder where half the photos have gone to... They all show in the edit function :icon-rolleyes:

Last edited:
:icon-cool: i would have to find a shop at the far end so i would have an excuse to do it every time we ran out of milk :lol: its true pics never do justice but its plain to see in yours that it will be fun :thumbup:

:icon-cool: i would have to find a shop at the far end so i would have an excuse to do it every time we ran out of milk :lol: its true pics never do justice but its plain to see in yours that it will be fun :thumbup:

Theres no milk 'til Brasov on that route :lol:.

It will be easy when you come Shayne, dry and dusty!

To the jet wash in the morning, before that clay turns to concrete :lol:

Hi Clive thanks for sharing that trip.:icon-cool::icon-cool: The scenery around your area looks Magnificent thats for sure. The 80 would have been in it,s element on those tracks.:thumbup::thumbup:

Hi Clive thanks for sharing that trip.:icon-cool::icon-cool: The scenery around your area looks Magnificent thats for sure. The 80 would have been in it,s element on those tracks.:thumbup::thumbup:

It surely is Beno, it laps it up. I'm sure it smiles when I take it out on the mountain, like an old dog, not happy unless it's stinking dirty :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great trip there Clive. . Looks like the kind of terrain I'd go for! Do you have to use that route every time to get to your house? Great place for a cruiser to belong! :think:

All the best mate!:thumbup:

thats y i am going back

was being nosey on google and this is what you can find

nice side road off a main road

the road.jpg

Great trip there Clive. . Looks like the kind of terrain I'd go for! Do you have to use that route every time to get to your house? Great place for a cruiser to belong! :think:

All the best mate!:thumbup:

Na Iwan, any car will get you to the house, it's 3.5km of asphalt from the national road, but stone for the last 80m. The lane posted is a horse & cart track, and a shortcut saving me going down into the village and up the asphalt road from the other end of the village. I only drive it because I can :lol:

Must admit, I've never seen another motor vehicle on it, or any tracks from one. If I meet a horse & cart, the driver looks at me stupid :lol:.

thats y i am going back! was being nosey on google and this is what you can find, nice side road off a main road

View attachment 18532

Is that somewhere particular RR or just an example? You're right of course, there are loads of them, and there's only one way to find out where they go. You can see what I call "my lane" on Google too...

just an example to show what can be found just looking at google

You are lucky having great lanes like that from your back yard and up into the mountains too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's OK Clive you can stop tempting us, we are coming. :lol:

Clive you've still got the boy in you.I liked the photos.Pat

Gary, Chas: Thanks guys, glad I haven't put you off coming!

Pat: Yep the boy in me keeps going strong, I'd be lost without it :lol:

Andy: I am very fortunate, for me it's heaven there, not everyone's cuppa I imagine, but we have the peace and quiet of the countryside, plus the mountains at hand for the truck, the bikes, walking and skiing in the winter.

After the stresses of work, it's just what I need by the time the w/e comes around.:icon-biggrin:

Back