Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new purchase!

Hope you guys can help me with a technical query?

When did the Landcruiser 120 move to air suspension? and was it on all variants? ie LC3-5?
It is interesting to see that there is a conversion kit that takes them back to the origianl style suspension!

Thanks
Simon

Hope you guys can help me with a technical query?

When did the Landcruiser 120 move to air suspension? and was it on all variants? ie LC3-5?
It is interesting to see that there is a conversion kit that takes them back to the origianl style suspension!

Thanks
Simon
Air suspension is only on the rear of Lc5 03 onwards and late model invincible , I bought a replacement kit from Roughtrax with coils already fitted to front shocks to replace adjustable shocks (TEMS ) that are fitted front and rear £714 I plan to use this kit when the air springs or TEMS packs in , But I hope I dont need to use it for a long time as the current set up works really well , I keep the shocks set on sport mode and with 265/70/17 BF AT KO2 rubber at 40 psi the car handles really well and stable on fast curves on motorways and country road bends at speeds normal cars do , and with the rear air springs the ride is great , in comparison when I drive my mothers (she is 88 and drives a 07 mitsi L200 pickup) at the same speeds it can be scary and the ride is a lot harsher .

Last edited by a moderator:
Air suspension is only on the rear of Lc5 03 onwards and late model invincible , I bought a replacement kit from Roughtrax with coils already fitted to front shocks to replace adjustable shocks (TEMS ) that are fitted front and rear £714 I plan to use this kit when the air springs or TEMS packs in , But I hope I dont need to use it for a long time as the current set up works really well , I keep the shocks set on sport mode and with 265/70/17 BF AT KO2 rubber at 40 psi the car handles really well and stable on fast curves on motorways and country road bends at speeds normal cars do , and with the rear air springs the ride is great , in comparison when I drive my mothers (she is 88 and drives a 07 mitsi L200 pickup) at the same speeds it can be scary and the ride is a lot harsher .

Tony, thanks for the info.
Have you got any idea of how big a job it is should it need to be done?
I know this is one of them well how long is a piece of string but an indication may help me make the best decision.
So do all LC5's 03 onwards only have them on he back? i thought they had this all round? if thats the case then why a full set form Roughtrax? Was it Invincible and beyond that they went all round?

Thanks
Simon

Tony, thanks for the info.
Have you got any idea of how big a job it is should it need to be done?
I know this is one of them well how long is a piece of string but an indication may help me make the best decision.
So do all LC5's 03 onwards only have them on he back? i thought they had this all round? if thats the case then why a full set form Roughtrax? Was it Invincible and beyond that they went all round?

Thanks
Simon
Hi Simon
The series 2 invincible replaced the Lc5 in around 2007 the Lc5 had rear air springs and TEMS from the beginning , the series 2 invincible replaced the Lc5 with more upmarket trim and equipment , but same suspension setup , the full setup from roughtrax is to replace the TEMS (toyota electronic modulated suspension) which is some kind of semi active suspension , In reality its just adjustable shocks from the centre consul which you can adjust also on the move , the kit offered by roughtrax is actually for all 120 models as it is an uprated replacement system that can be used to also replace the TEMS and rear air springs . You can see the fitting instructions on roughtrax site on how to fit and also disable the electronics for the TEMS rear air springs and dash lights , You would think its complicated , but looking at the step by step instructions its very straightforward , there is two versions one is standard height and the other is 50mm lift , I got the standard height set up .

Last edited by a moderator:
So after giving up my dream of owning another 120 i bought a runaround, Toyota Corolla 2Lt D4D 2004 £500, wow what economy, i was just touching 60 to the gallon!!!
I soon started to get bored of this and started to look for another LC, went to see quite a few but nothing hit the mark. I was looking for one that had been well looked after inside and out with FSH, most of the ones with low mileage had all the classic problems, sunroof front edge badly rusted, major corrosion underneath and on inner wings or just really tatty inside with scratch marks and scuffs everywhere. In the end i was getting a bit despondent but one alert came up in London of all places, FSH 110k so i jumped on the train and went and had a look, the LC had been bought from Toyota with 3k on the clock and this couple had owned it since, it had been used as a family car but was immaculate inside and out, driven by the owners wife (who really didnt want to let it go!). They had had everything done that Toyota had suggested, they even got a new MOT 4 months after it had been done just because they were selling it!!! Absolutely lovely couple and i went home a happy man!!!!

Got a few minor bits to do but overall a major success, i was so good to get back in the saddle!!!
I have no experience with the air suspension (yet!) and to be honest it doesnt really seem to serve a purpose to any degree other than maybe very slightly smoother ride? On reading the manual i love the way it refers to being able to lower the suspension by 30mm to assist with loading and getting in the LC! is it me or does 30mm really make the difference?
The previous owner had fitted 2 lots of video, one in the headrests and one above the rear seats for 3rd row seats! Also got an inverter as the kids liked to play games, might keep the grandchildren from getting bored on long trips?

Jobs to do:
Waxoil
OSF Bearing (already on route)
Towbar! (gone up 50% in 4 years!)
Rear brake pads (disks are almost new)

And that's it, all ready for winter (if i can convince the wife i REALLY need some good tyres for the snow thats coming even though its not been predicted yet!), was really impressed with the AT3 Grabbers i had on last time, brilliant performance in the snow!!

Simon

So after giving up my dream of owning another 120 i bought a runaround, Toyota Corolla 2Lt D4D 2004 £500, wow what economy, i was just touching 60 to the gallon!!!
I soon started to get bored of this and started to look for another LC, went to see quite a few but nothing hit the mark. I was looking for one that had been well looked after inside and out with FSH, most of the ones with low mileage had all the classic problems, sunroof front edge badly rusted, major corrosion underneath and on inner wings or just really tatty inside with scratch marks and scuffs everywhere. In the end i was getting a bit despondent but one alert came up in London of all places, FSH 110k so i jumped on the train and went and had a look, the LC had been bought from Toyota with 3k on the clock and this couple had owned it since, it had been used as a family car but was immaculate inside and out, driven by the owners wife (who really didnt want to let it go!). They had had everything done that Toyota had suggested, they even got a new MOT 4 months after it had been done just because they were selling it!!! Absolutely lovely couple and i went home a happy man!!!!

Got a few minor bits to do but overall a major success, i was so good to get back in the saddle!!!
I have no experience with the air suspension (yet!) and to be honest it doesnt really seem to serve a purpose to any degree other than maybe very slightly smoother ride? On reading the manual i love the way it refers to being able to lower the suspension by 30mm to assist with loading and getting in the LC! is it me or does 30mm really make the difference?
The previous owner had fitted 2 lots of video, one in the headrests and one above the rear seats for 3rd row seats! Also got an inverter as the kids liked to play games, might keep the grandchildren from getting bored on long trips?

Jobs to do:
Waxoil
OSF Bearing (already on route)
Towbar! (gone up 50% in 4 years!)
Rear brake pads (disks are almost new)

And that's it, all ready for winter (if i can convince the wife i REALLY need some good tyres for the snow thats coming even though its not been predicted yet!), was really impressed with the AT3 Grabbers i had on last time, brilliant performance in the snow!!

Simon
Hi Simon
Good to have you back with a LC , talking about the air suspension I just leave mine in the N position and tems shocks on the firm setting good for motorways and bendy roads , I think in the firm setting less stress and work is on the air bags so they should last longer , Just remember when you jack the LC up to take the wheel off , first turn the height control off by putting it in off mode,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tony

Thanks for the tip on jacking, didnt think about that one but now i am forwarned!:)

Simon

Simon, i followed your link to this thread from another.
I have a good LC5 which i found just over 2 years ago if i recall correctly, and am very happy with it, that too had been lucky enough to have well heeled previous owners, and the rust underneath was minimal, apart from the bash plate which was holed on the edges and is now replaced with one of those cheap (but not half bad) underbody plates from Romania.

Anyway, you mentioned the suspension above, i'm happy with the set up, i'm running on Yokohama GO15 tyres which are winter rated all season road biased AT's, and i'd be very reluctant to lose the sure footed wet handling of the car especially, which i put down to the rear air suspension as much as anything, i tend to run in the setting below 'sport' (pause for snort of derision, please Toyota sport and an LC are not happy bedfellows), which seems a good all rounder for me living as i do in Northants and having to drive the cart tracks otherwise known as roads around here!
Will have a ££ decision to make should the tems shockers start to fail, but changing the rear airbags looks easier than swapping even a spring over.

Which brings me to this video, because not many videos about on how to swap the rear airbags, this video is of a Toyota Sequoia airbag swap, essentially the same set up as LC5, but the chap goes into detail of where to disconnect the pipes for an easier life which other videos don't, might be worth bookmarking in case an airbag swap is needed.

Simon, i followed your link to this thread from another.
I have a good LC5 which i found just over 2 years ago if i recall correctly, and am very happy with it, that too had been lucky enough to have well heeled previous owners, and the rust underneath was minimal, apart from the bash plate which was holed on the edges and is now replaced with one of those cheap (but not half bad) underbody plates from Romania.

Anyway, you mentioned the suspension above, i'm happy with the set up, i'm running on Yokohama GO15 tyres which are winter rated all season road biased AT's, and i'd be very reluctant to lose the sure footed wet handling of the car especially, which i put down to the rear air suspension as much as anything, i tend to run in the setting below 'sport' (pause for snort of derision, please Toyota sport and an LC are not happy bedfellows), which seems a good all rounder for me living as i do in Northants and having to drive the cart tracks otherwise known as roads around here!
Will have a ££ decision to make should the tems shockers start to fail, but changing the rear airbags looks easier than swapping even a spring over.

Which brings me to this video, because not many videos about on how to swap the rear airbags, this video is of a Toyota Sequoia airbag swap, essentially the same set up as LC5, but the chap goes into detail of where to disconnect the pipes for an easier life which other videos don't, might be worth bookmarking in case an airbag swap is needed.
A great informative video thanks for that .

Juddian

Great vid!
It gives a brief description in the manual but that vid was well done with lots of great tips!
Looks like a replacement bag if mine fail

Thanks
Simon

Back