Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new toy

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
As some of you know I have a new toy. I have been asked to put some pictures up so here goes.

Since I sold the green car I have been in a dilemma as to which direction to go for off roading fun. The green car was fairly well sorted for the sort of off road stuff I enjoy and if I bought another LC it would only end up as a clone of the green car. I looked at Volvo C304 6x6's and Pinzgauer 6x6's but they are out of my price range for a toy. I then looked at Unimogs and ended up with a 1967 Mercedes Unimog 404 Radio Body.

It really is going to be a journey into the unknown. I have no way of knowing if it will be worse, the same or better than my old green 80 for the more extreme side of off roading that I enjoy. On the plus sides it has huge ground clearance - 16" under the front diff and very low gearing. On the negative side it is very low on power - 2.2, 6 cylinder petrol pushing out about 80hp. It is certainly going to need a change of driving style :lol:

For those that don't know about the drive train on early Mogs, it has a six speed gear box, 1st and 2nd are very low and are used as off road gears, then 3rd - 6th are the on road gears. It has a separate lever for forwards or reverse, but you can only get reverse in 1st and 2nd. There is a conversion that can be done to turn it into an 8 speed which gives two slightly higher off road gears. This involves modding the shift gate and adding an extra gear lever. There is another lever to switch between rwd, 4 wd and 4wd with the diffs locked. You can also add crawler gears but mine does not have these. The axles are portal and have mechanical diff locks. The portal bit means the diff is above the centre line of the wheels and there are drop boxes at each end to bring the drive down.

This is how it looked when I bought it

20130505_182919_zps7ea606c3.jpg

20130505_182612_zpsd25ca893.jpg

20130505_182656_zps1313d9bf.jpg

The previous owner told me that the fuel tanks had contaminated fuel in them. He just bypassed them and ran from a boat outboard tank in the cab. Also the choke knob had seized so he ran it with out engine covers so he could reach the carb from the drivers seat and set the choke directly.

I have replaced the choke cable, brand new genuine Mercedes was only £12. Job two was to remove the box from the back to make it more suitable for my planned usage and make access much easier for planned maintenance. To do this I made a large frame out of scaffold poles with a couple of chain blocks at the top.

20130602_192740_zps3fe3dd58.jpg

The box came off fairly easily, only 9 bolts, a few cables and the rear lights to disconnect.

20130608_103852_zpsf824bf84.jpg

20130608_104506_zps966a8c60.jpg

I now have easy access to the tanks and have removed and cleaned them out. It has a dual tank system were you can select which tank you feed from but to fill them there is only one filler. This filler is on the reserve tank. Once the reserve is full it overflows into the main tank via a large diameter rubber pipe. This pipe has perished and will need replacing. While I am at it I will replace the in tank filters.

The propshafts are hidden inside what they call torque tubes. The outside of these tubes do not rotate. One of the gators has perished and needs replacing.

Then I need to make some rear mud guards and mount the rear lights before I am ready to hit the road.

If the thing turns out to be as good as I hope it will be off road then I will address the rust issues on the cab. If not I will remount the box and move on to the next toy.

Last edited:
Lucky you, they are phenomenal vehicles, in the early 90's I did a fair amount of on/of road driving in a ex SADF mog, it had the 1113 truck 6cyl diesel engine in it and was a beast, it had a low high gearbox and the gearbox was a 4 speed, so you had 8 forward gears, if you wanted reverse then you had to select low and move a 3rd lever for reverse, you then had 4 reverse gears, nice party trick as it would do 40 kph in reverse. the same speed as low range forward, you started off in low and changed to high when you had gone through the gears.
It's brakes were air operated hydraulic disc brakes and the axles were linked to gearbox by torque tubes, the gearbox was mounted to the chassis and the drive felt like it came through the chassis rather than the wheels/axles.
I look forward to seeing more pictures of it ;)

You following Hamilton's move to Mercedes? :lol::lol::lol: Looking forward to the project updates..... Oh! but of course, you won't be allowed to post these on the LC site :think::think::think:

Now this will be an interesting project! I look forward to seeing it in action. Enjoy.

Where is the LIKE button when you need it?

Should be an interesting project Ian. Is this going to be an extreme off roader or an overlander?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Should be an interesting project Ian. Is this going to be an extreme off roader or an overlander?
It will hopefully be an extreme off roader. It will be staying fairly standard while I decide if I am keeping it. I really need to get it off road to decide what I am going to do with it.

It would not be good as an overlander, 45 - 50mph cruising speed 55 - 60mph flat out with a tail wind combined with 10mpg see to that.

I've always loved Mog's so looking forward to what you do with it Ian. :thumbup:

I will also be interested to see if it will get you as far off road, obviously its a lot heavier and also much taller than an 80. :think:

How will you get it to Lincomb?

might take a while to drive it there. :think:

Without the box I think it weighs about 2600kg so not a lot heavier than an 80. With the soft top off and the windscreen folded down it will be lower than an 80 to :icon-cool:

I have thought about Lincomb, driving would be expensive so IF it goes it would probably be trailered. Some of the punches could be interesting . . . .

Last edited:
Using a Mog for the punch challenge would be cheating Ian! Lesser vehicles are allowed however:lol:

I think a Mog is the natural progression from the green car, lets hope it has enough power to get up Rubie Hill.

Certainly a bit of a beast Ian and I'm sure you will put it through it's paces, but, are you are already thinking of what might replace this one already? I can see the thought processes that led to the MOG but just what would outdo this one?

I know we are meant to all be LC but I would love to see this beauty at Lincomb, if you put a Landcruiser fob on the keyring then surely it becomes a Cruiser related vehicle?

looks great and will be a fun project.
i have often admired the unimog they use for snow clearing at one of the ski centres in scotland.

Nice mog. Friend of mine had a 404 doka, great off road but did get it stuck lol. He upgraded to a u1300l.
He did a lot of research into the gears etc if want any info sure I can put you in touch with him.

Thanks for the comments. Really looking forward to trying it off road. My big concern is what is going to pull it out when it gets stuck? There are some spectacular winches available for them that run off the PTO but even used ones are huge money. By spectacular I mean 80 meters of cable, huge pulling force and 10 meters a minute line speed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Really looking forward to trying it off road. My big concern is what is going to pull it out when it gets stuck? There are some spectacular winches available for them that run off the PTO but even used ones are huge money. By spectacular I mean 80 meters of cable, huge pulling force and 10 meters a minute line speed.

Yeah, it's not a vehicle you want to get stuck! My uncle had a mog in Zim and once got it PROPERLY stuck. He left it stuck over night and went back the next day with a mate that had a big tractor and after a lot of digging, winching, digging, pulling, digging, swearing, digging, he eventually got it out. :lol:

Don't want to change a tyre on your own either - especially when they run 60% water in them (blast absorption) :lol:

Back