Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Navmii vs OS Map finder vs Memory Map vs OS Maps vs ViewRanger vs OSmand vs

oneafrikan

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

So what is everyone using for navigation these days?

Seems like a decent tablet or (large) phone is the way to go, and that there are now quite a few app options which work on both iPhone & Android.

I spent a few hours downloading and trying all of the above (in the title), and it seems like they're all much of a muchness, with ViewRanger looking the best simply because it also adds a crowdsourced element which makes finding trails easier... Whereas for plain motorway driving it's either Google Maps or Navmii.

However the single biggest issue is that in order to properly try them all out one would have to buy the various maps for each app (ie, you can't but a single map from OS, then use it in any app), which is a shame -> means you have to take a punt on an app, and be prepared to write off the map purchases that went along with it if you don't end up liking the app!

I guess the only other consideration is whether you can get maps for the places you may travel - so in first instance I'm only talking about the UK, but obviously worldwide coverage is good too!

Seems like Memory App has a good following, and the desktop app in Windows is nice because planning becomes easier; but for ease of use OS Maps or ViewRanger are good to go pretty quickly.

Any experience here which would help me take a well informed punt on an app....?

Hi

For day to day I use a TomTom 6000, fast a rerouting and good with dealing with heavy traffic.

Only negative with TomTom is not to be able to set vehicle size, so I use CoPilot on my phone when towing my caravan. This is also been good.

On a recent road trip around Norway and Sweden, I used both TomTom 6000 and Google Maps on my tablet.

IMG_0303.JPG

Used TomTom to give me Direction and Google maps to plan routes and have a live over view of my position.

Hope that's of some use.

Gary

for me it really depends on the base map source, a lot of apps share the same base mapping so then UI comes into play. Also data usage is a big factor, I prefer nav that doesn't require a data connection

For UK nav I use Navmii, but I also have a Garmin Sat Nav that I run OSM maps on for turn by turn navigation and then a custom mapset for off road use. Pocket Earth is good allowing you to download maps for off line use.

I would like something with a bigger screen sometimes though

Across Europe and the U.K. I've used viewranger for trails and google maps for road navigation both on an iPad. So far, this set-up has been great. Viewranger does allow you to plan routes, which can be done via the iPad rather than requiring a computer.

Only do UK so I use memory map ( on PC and on tablet can plan routes on both ) £40 got me all UK os maps ( eBay ) and gives me 4 licences so good value in my eyes, been using it for quite a while so suppose I'm used to it, not used any of the others so can't comment but use tom tom for road navigation

Only do UK so I use memory map ( on PC and on tablet can plan routes on both ) £40 got me all UK os maps ( eBay ) and gives me 4 licences so good value in my eyes, been using it for quite a while so suppose I'm used to it, not used any of the others so can't comment but use tom tom for road navigation

How did you import the maps from eBay into Memory Map? Simple import function somewhere?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
How did you import the maps from eBay into Memory Map? Simple import function somewhere?

Got CD ROM as the purchase so installed on PC and then you can move mapping to tablet with mm app on it

Hi

For day to day I use a TomTom 6000, fast a rerouting and good with dealing with heavy traffic.

Only negative with TomTom is not to be able to set vehicle size, so I use CoPilot on my phone when towing my caravan. This is also been good.

On a recent road trip around Norway and Sweden, I used both TomTom 6000 and Google Maps on my tablet.

View attachment 110121

Used TomTom to give me Direction and Google maps to plan routes and have a live over view of my position.

Hope that's of some use.

Gary

Thanks. Does your google maps rely on a data connecion?

How do you handle off-roading (if you do)?

hi

Google maps can be saved offline, but I have not found a way to save panned routes off line. in the car I wifi access dongle for internet connection.

G.

I use a garmin nuvi for general navigation and have memory map on my tablet for laning, I pre plan my routes for that and follow the route using the GPS. Have a fair few lanes marked up so can add or divert while out and about
20150725_111442.jpg

hi

Google maps can be saved offline, but I have not found a way to save panned routes off line. in the car I wifi access dongle for internet connection.

G.

Real-time google maps just uses the GPS satellite access, a bit temperamental in forests but great out in the open.

Co-Pilot is good too, the maps are stored on the device and after purchase of the ap, updated maps are frequent and free.

...and you can have it on iPhone and iPad at the same time on one purchase.

for me it really depends on the base map source, a lot of apps share the same base mapping so then UI comes into play. Also data usage is a big factor, I prefer nav that doesn't require a data connection

For UK nav I use Navmii, but I also have a Garmin Sat Nav that I run OSM maps on for turn by turn navigation and then a custom mapset for off road use. Pocket Earth is good allowing you to download maps for off line use.

I would like something with a bigger screen sometimes though

Do you use Navmii offline (without data) or connected to your phone data?

Across Europe and the U.K. I've used viewranger for trails and google maps for road navigation both on an iPad. So far, this set-up has been great. Viewranger does allow you to plan routes, which can be done via the iPad rather than requiring a computer.
Ok thanks. Do you use ViewRanger offline (so downloading the maps beforehand)?
Would you say it's worth the cost to buy the maps?

Ok thanks. Do you use ViewRanger offline (so downloading the maps beforehand)?
Would you say it's worth the cost to buy the maps?

Yes, I only use viewranger offline. The maps are not always cheap. There are a few free maps but decent maps like OS are a lot more expensive than the prices others have quoted above. There are clearly cheaper alternatives but I wanted a navigation app that had full functionality on the iPad and viewranger is very good in this respect. So far I've only bought the map tiles for the areas I've needed, so the cost hasn't been too bad.

Helpful thread..thanks. I have just downloaded view ranger so giving that ago around lanes in thetford on Sunday.

Back