Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

NEED A 4X4 WITH VERY LOW RANGE FOR DOWNHILL ENGINE BREAKING ADVICE PLEASE.

David Ketley

Country Flag
great_britain
I have used an old Pejero on our steep land and its been fantastic having front, centre a rear diff locks with an extremely low gear for steep down hills. I recently purchased a 2004 Pejero 3.2 BUT the gear ratio is so high even in its lowest setting its not safe on steep fields. I have a Toyota Landcruiser 120 but its only done 59000 miles and again uses the ABS on steep hills not engine breaking. Was there a models that had a low ratio box that gave the ability to crawl down a hill using engine breaking?

Yes I have used it but its just not low enough like the old Pejero. With that you only need engine breaking .

I reckon the old Pajero had a dent in the exhaust resulting in more back pressure , they don't cost much dents .

Actually, i'm willing to bet the difference is a turbo wastegate in the old while the new uses a variable vane turbo .

I never heard of one before but google exhaust brake , maybe you can find one to fit ?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Heavy trucks have an exhaust brake, heel operated, works on back pressure by closing a butterfly in downpipe to help/preserve brakes. Strong enough to shut the engine off at crawling speed.
Hold heel on floor mounted switch/solonoid and it's on, heel off, exhaust brake off.
Very effective on heavy trucks.

I agree the 120 low ratio first isn't low enough, certainly with the auto box, and my LC3 has no HDC. My Jimny is much better coming down really steep stuff. Probably helps it's less than half the weight too. But I think it depends why you're going up the steep slopes in the first place and what you need to take with you. I'd rather be on my quad bike than in a car on really steep stuff. Has a lower low range and I can sit on the back rack to stop it lifting. Even with a little trailer on which is useful for retrieving abandoned calves I'd rather be on that than in a car.

i WANT AN OLDER VEHICLE TO USE ON THE LAND THAT DOES NOT MATTER. MY LANDCRUISER HAS ONLY DONE 58000 BUT USES THE HDC WITH LOW RANGE AND ABS TO CONTROL ON STEEP HILLS BUT ITS NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE OLD MK1 PEJERO WITH ITS FRONT, CENTRE AND REAR DIFF LOCKE AND VERY LOW RANGE NO Brakes NEEDED.
Sorry in caps lock

Jeep Cherokee xj, they have near 3:1 low range and should have decent engine braking

Isn't it about 2.5:1 from factory for the 120?

"Gear ratio" is not the whole story. You could alter it a bit by using smaller/larger diameter wheels.

Back