Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need advice..

isle of man

I have been busy building the 75 Troopy for two years now, problem is I never projected the extra weight on the rear, (double rear wheel carrier and long range tank) so much so I need to purchase some extended anti inversion shackles, who in the UK has them? I don't want to break the bank!!

how does anti inversion shackles fix this problem?
air bag properly installed solves that issue cheap.
or
add another leaf to the pack.

I looked at both those options - I want to keep it simple so the air bag is out, then I have a OME 50mm lift so adding a leaf could be a problem. The extended inversion shackle seems like a good compromise.

the problem isn't the lift, i.e. the distance between the axle and the frame.
the problem is the weigh crunching down on the springs
so
if you do an extended inversion shackle then you will need 2X the amount of lift you need.
if you need a 1" lift then you will need 2" longer shackle. 2" lift and you will need to extend the shackle 4". remember you are only working from one end of the spring so double the requirement.
plus
sway, if you have springs that are compressed then lifting the rear this way will leave a weak spring pack to support the rear of the truck as you go around corners, over bumps etc. this is a very unsafe approach.
air bags are $80 a pair, a pair of lines to the rear and a fill valve.
you can get a kit from the states (maybe even in the UK) for dirt cheap and they work exceptional. I have installed these on a number of cruisers now with excellent results.
as for an add a leaf. contact OME and order just one leaf per side. doubling up on one of the leafs. bit more work. you will need longer u/bolts, center pin and an ability to lift the weight off the rear of the truck spring packs SAFELY. the results will be a stable ride.

screwing with suspension is as dangerous as messing with brakes or steering. play safe.

I only have the issue when load up (for a trip) and I fill both the tanks with fuel, before the rear wheel carrier was fitted it was spot-on, now it dips on the rear about an inch, obviously I need to research a little more.

I'd just chop in the OME cart springs for some heavier duty ones

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I only have the issue when load up (for a trip) and I fill both the tanks with fuel, before the rear wheel carrier was fitted it was spot-on, now it dips on the rear about an inch, obviously I need to research a little more.

You have indirectly answered your own question. If you only need the extra load carrying capacity part of the time, then you need a "part time" answer and instantly controllable air bags would do just that. Also, I don't like extended shackles as they increase the inertia on the axle and to control that you need a panhard rod.

Bags would be simpler.

Roger

OK, any suggestions? Type of kit, preferred supplier. reliable brand/make.

TA.

This is the 75 with the main diesel tank full and water to 60 liters, it sits about level.

Attachments

• DSCF3099.JPG
    DSCF3099.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 156
Nice looking truck.

I'll see if I can get any specs off my troopy suspension and send them your way. I'm not carrying as much weight on the rear as you are (no RTT, spare on rear and smaller water tank), but mine doesn't show any sign of sagging.

GoodYear and Firestone makes bags.
no one i found makes a decent bolt on kit. i had to reinforce the mounts for the bags.
i can take pics of the ones on my 75 pickup, i had 5000 lbs of green hardwood on the deck last year with just 4 leafs and the bags. nice part, when running empty the ride is nice. when you need it, even a bicycle tire hand pump can inflate the bags.
or
your on board air compressor will work excellent.

i did a complex air bag install on the BJ70 work truck 'build thread' if you want to check it out.

i used airbaggit out of the States for my 'kit', cheap, easy to install but you really need to consider modifying their mounts for heavier loads.

GoodYear and Firestone makes bags.
no one i found makes a decent bolt on kit. i had to reinforce the mounts for the bags.
i can take pics of the ones on my 75 pickup, i had 5000 lbs of green hardwood on the deck last year with just 4 leafs and the bags. nice part, when running empty the ride is nice. when you need it, even a bicycle tire hand pump can inflate the bags.
or
your on board air compressor will work excellent.

i did a complex air bag install on the BJ70 work truck 'build thread' if you want to check it out.

i used airbaggit out of the States for my 'kit', cheap, easy to install but you really need to consider modifying their mounts for heavier loads.

Cheers..

Back