Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need help. In the outback and have a leak from the rear output on the transfer case

Ryan Condon

Country Flag
united_states
I am traveling with a in the Australian outback. doing an inspection underneath the car at one of our campgrounds we noticed a small amount of oil from what appears to be the rear output seal on the transfer case. I checked above and it does not look like it's coming from above the seal. I do not believe that it has been recently filled up. Just wanted to get some thoughts whether or not this is common. It is a 2018 series 79 Land cruiser with approximately 11000 kilometers on the odometer. we have about eight hundred kilometers to go before we get home and assume the best case is probably just to check it periodically and keep it filled. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate it.

See image

15683387290484917313342960774181.jpg

I'd say on new vehicles any leak would be classed as unusual, but if we take that particular seal per se across any of the Cruiser range, it's not uncommon. As long as there is oil in there it can leak as much as it likes. A small leak can go a long way. If it's dripping then try to get the vehicle on an incline so that you can get a bit more oil in that you would on the flat to keep you going. I doubt you'll be loosing much.

oil is like blood - a little bit looks like a lot! Have you got any spare with you? Like Chris says you can basically keep topping it up until you get to where you need to be.

Thank you all for the replies. We got some extra oil and were able to check the fill level and as suggested it was full. We will get it replaced when we get back to Sydney. Appreciate all the quick responses.

Back