Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need more light?

i like lamps :thumbup: ive just started a buy HID lamp fund :lol:

Lightforce 240 HID - 50w

LFDL240HIDL18A

The ultimate long range driving light, now with a 50w bulb

£689.08 (inc vat)

I thought after Market HID lights were illegal in the UK now?

I doubt that'd be a problem for the owner of this video. The website name at the beginning of the video offers a clue to the likely location :doh:

Bat21 said:
When did that ruling come into force, and does it apply to HID's that were fitted a couple of years ago?

MoTs were changed to cover this at the beginning of this year, I believe. As a result it would cover existing installations.

Whether or not you'll actually get pulled up for it remains to be seen, though. It's not been a massive problem so far with the imported Honda Type Rs (ex DC5/FD2 owner) but then those were HID as standard (but not equipped with levelling or washers).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Doodle said:
I doubt that'd be a problem for the owner of this video. The website name at the beginning of the video offers a clue to the likely location :doh:
My comment was aimed at Pete from Kilmarnock.... last time I looked that was in the UK ;)

As if it wasn't confusing enough.... have a read of THIS :thumbup:

Bat21 said:
As if it wasn't confusing enough.... have a read of THIS :thumbup:
It's not too confusing, it says you CAN have HID's IF the WHOLE headlamp unit is replaced with an EU approved one. Bloody Brussels bureaucrats :angry-screaming:

Bat21 said:
Does that apply to spots as well as headlights?

Bat21 said:
Doodle said:
My comment was aimed at Pete from Kilmarnock.... last time I looked that was in the UK ;)

Sadly I'm not clairvoyant, I'd be much richer if I was :lol:

Doodle said:
Oh dear, what have we here :doh:

I'm sure you'll settle down once you've been here a while ;)

I would post a warning from my experience that when you have such a bright main beam and you dip for on comming traffic you can't see a blooming thing cos your eyes are used to the brighter light and your dip will seem like candles!

That said, for off road, great !

Bat21 said:
Doodle said:
Oh dear, what have we here :doh:

I'm sure you'll settle down once you've been here a while ;)

I dunno, you tell me. I was merely referring to the fact that there was no point of reference to your post :whistle:

Doodle said:
I dunno, you tell me. I was merely referring to the fact that there was no point of reference to your post :whistle:
No point of reference needed.... I was simply asking a question hence the use of the question mark ;)

AndrewT said:
I would post a warning from my experience that when you have such a bright main beam and you dip for on comming traffic you can't see a blooming thing cos your eyes are used to the brighter light and your dip will seem like candles!

That said, for off road, great !
Adding on:
If the low beams are too strong, you won't be able to see what is beyond the reach of the dipped beam, as the eyes are tuned in on the strong light close to the car. For road use, that could mean that you will have to go slower with more light, because you can't see what is further away.

Yup basically.... You get used to the bright lights very easily, and when you drop to dip beam the lights change faster than your eyes adjust, and you are almost blind, compound that with the on coming cars headlights you can see next to nothing.

Off road you just leave them in high beam :0)

Anyway it was just a word of caution as I nearly went in the ditch because I couldn't see.

Does that apply to spots as well as headlights?

I could be wrong but i remember being pulled many many years ago in a rally prepared mini . All the copper wanted to know was if the spotlights were on a separate switch and unrelated to the normal headlights . They were and so he let us go saying as he walked away "i'll pretend i didn't see you coming from over a mile away because of them lights" . So possibly it might not apply to additional lights on a separate circuit ?

Bugger should have booked us we were 16 and managed to brake the car in half a couple of hours later !

Last edited:
Back