Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need new clutch - advice

Roy Duffy

Country Flag
scotland
Hi Guys,

Ive just started to feel my clutch slipping on my 1996 24v Diesel Land cruiser. Can anyone suggest where I can get a good quality clutch at a reasonable price? And what brand clutches are best and the ones to avoid?

If anyone knows of someone who could fit it around the Chester area, that would be great too!!

Cheers
Roy

Before you assume your clutch has worn out just check that you can push the slave cylinder pushrod a little way up into the slave cylinder and the clutch is not being held open because there is no play at this point.

Frank

I fitted a DELPHI complete clutch kit in my GS and it seems fine. Its a "made in Japan" unit and the only difference is it feels a bit lighter to press the pedal down.

Andy

Before you assume your clutch has worn out just check that you can push the slave cylinder pushrod a little way up into the slave cylinder and the clutch is not being held open because there is no play at this point.

Frank

Mine me has the same "starting to slip" symptoms Frank, and TBH it's felt like that for the last 150k kms! Still going strong!

Interested in your tip though. What happens if there is no play? Is there an adjustment somewhere, or do I grind a bit off the pushrod?

Cheers! :icon-biggrin:

From memory that portion of the pushrod which pushes on the clutch release fork is threaded into the main body of the pushrod assembly. As the clutch wears the fork rests further back and with your foot off the clutch pedal the pushrod may get hard against the back of the cylinder. I've had this happen on other cars but not my LC.

Frank

From memory that portion of the pushrod which pushes on the clutch release fork is threaded into the main body of the pushrod assembly. As the clutch wears the fork rests further back and with your foot off the clutch pedal the pushrod may get hard against the back of the cylinder. I've had this happen on other cars but not my LC.

Frank

Cheers Frank :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Guys thanks loads for your advice!!!

Does this sound like the clutch is slipping? I can drive fine, but if i accelerate hard the engine revs higher but no pick up in speed. If I accelerate at a normal rate there is no problem. If I try to pull away in 5th with my foot on break it will stall - not sure if that is a great test.

Just got a price for a Terrain Tamer clutch £323 + vat. Is that an ok price or is there something better I can get for a better price?

As always any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Roy

It don't sound like the clutch to me , fuel starvation maybe ? eliminate the cheapest and easiest thing first get a K&N air filter and add some cleaner to your fuel might save you a few zero's .

Last edited:
Defo sounds like clutch slip. You need 2500rpm with your left foot on the brake and right foot hard on the throttle. Try in 3rd where your road speed will be lower.

Frank

Yep definitely sounds like clutch slip. Do as Frank suggested above. You're better off sticking with the OEM filter too.

The reason for my earlier post is i have recently fitted an intercooler and a K&N air filter , as a result i had to mess around quite a bit to get the fuel air mix right with nothing more to go on than how the truck felt to drive . The symptoms you describe remind me of the problems i had . I remember posting somewhere at the time that my truck felt like it needed re-geared or something because it just ran out of go before i felt it should , revs would go up but the speedo wouldn't .

The only way when driving a manual that revs can go up without a corresponding rise in speed is a slipping clutch, barring a catastrophic failure in the driveline which would result in no speed

Stick it in fourth at about 30mph, point it up a slight hill and put the foot down. If the rev counter needle rises and the speed doesn't the clutch is fubared.

I don't mind being proven wrong and i'm not disagreeing with anyone the clutch does seem the obvious answer but on my truck too much air and not enough fuel definitely produced very similar symptoms but only after about 2600rpm the rest of the time it felt fine . I will say no more i was just hoping i might save Roy a few quid by suggesting he rule out less likely but cheaper to fix possibilities first .

On pricing clutches before, an optifit works out cheapest, even compared with milners. Assuming there is a genuine one in there already.

Shayne, maybe YOUR clutch is slipping too which would explain your revs going up and your speed not. This is THE classic test for clutch slip and that I would say is a slipping clutch. End of.

Yeah that must be it Toyota fitted a genuine parts full clutch assembly in my truck 8 or 9 months ago but obviously did it wrong , but turning up the fuel fixed it :icon-rolleyes:

Clutch slip is caused by one, two or both of the following:-

1. Worn out.
2. Not fully releasing. As in LC case bound up pushrod.

There used to be a number 3 = oil on clutch but very unlikely on an LC.

If Toyota fitted your clutch they should have checked the pushrod. With a new clutch the release fork comes a relatively long way towards the pushrod housing.

Frank

TBH just change the bloody thing= if it wears to much then you will mark the flywheel :oops:. I fitted the cheapest option milners had on offer but I don't think i would go down that route again due to the feel, and the thrust bearing rattles. However it hasn't caused me any problems, but haven't towed anything heavy with it. If you are a long term owner then even spending £175 at milners will be a good investment.

Sounds about right Shayne. Never trust the main dealer, eh? That and Lincomb sand of course.

C

Back