Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Needed; new tyres for my 80

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Ok so there are shops that sell tyres. I get that, but following the MOT today I realised I'd only done 3k mile in the green one since last year. The Wranglers are looking pretty thin and I need some replacements before next year's MOT. If you have anything taking up space in your shed, let me know. I need something in the region of 275.70.16 or 265.75.16 Essentially just a std size. Sure some 285 would be OK but I'm not looking to stray much away from stock.

Tread-wise I really only need them for tarmac duty. I'd consider anything except Enduro Run-aways.
Happy to look at Dunflop Grandtreks even. I just need to re-shoe the old beast. 5 tyres would be best all in the same size and pattern, but 4 would do. I really don't want to go to the expense of brand new BFG ATs on something that sits in a barn all year round.

Anyone got anything suitable they need rid of?

C

I've got an essentially new, no more than 1000 miles, set of 4 Barum (by Continental) road tyres at 265/70 R16, the size I have run for about 10 years. Interestingly these were an emergency buy when I had an Enduro blow out on me on the M62.

I hadn't thought about selling but they don't get much use with the STTs on now. The Barums are more grippy, especially in the wet than the STTs.
Could bring to Stratford if you wanted them.

Promising Rich. Are you sure they're 265 x 70? Not 265 x75? Typically I am seeing 65 x 75 and 75 x70 giving pretty much the same diameter.

It sounds like the start of a plan. I could strap 4 tyres in somewhere.

Promising Rich. Are you sure they're 265 x 70? Not 265 x75? Typically I am seeing 65 x 75 and 75 x70 giving pretty much the same diameter.

It sounds like the start of a plan. I could strap 4 tyres in somewhere.
Yes, all correct Chris they are 265/70 being a smidge smaller than standard as was on mine when I bought it. I subsequently found out that standard ones were the 275/70 R16 which seem to be scarce. These are 0.4" narrower (10mm) and 0.6" (15mm) smaller on diameter. No white lettering.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Rich, they're not that much different to what I have on now. Only 7mm difference in the radius and that of course is purely theoretical as we know many tyres don't turn out to be the size they say they are. They look a decent tyre. Perfect for what I'd need to replace the tired old (and dreadful) Wranglers.

Love the wheels by the way. Very smart indeed. The black shadow insets look terrific.

Yes, I'm well pleased with those, though they are starting to scab a little by the wheel nut cutouts. I'll have to have words.

Exactly my thoughts on the sizing. You could have a part worn set of OE size BFGs with a similar diameter.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Quite. And they're certainly going to be taller than the slicks I have on at present.

Quite. And they're certainly going to be taller than the slicks I have on at present.
:whistle:
Have a think, and if they're what you want, pop me a PM with an offer and we can sort out a price. It'll free up some room in my garage at least. :thumbup:

Will do Rich. Not sure how much there were new. Looking on the web, there's some extraordinarily good deals in that size at the moment. All pretty much no name brands though. Not sure I'd want something without someone having personal experience. Lot's of Enduros for sale. I think I'll give those a very wide berth.

Jon a set of Toyos would be very attractive. I can't lie. Any clue what you'd like for those - off line?

Sorry Jon, it's in your advert obviously. Rich, I really do appreciate the offer but just had a thought. The size Jon is offering is the same as I have on, therefore the spare will be the same. If I only go with 4 in the 265 then I have two different sizes.

Really sorry about that but it make far more sense to go with the Toyo Open Country and keep the best of the Wranglers underneath.

No worries Chris. Shame, I could then have had some spare rims and bought Jon's Nokians off him. I just couldn't fit 4 more tyres in my garage.
C'est la vie.

Yes those winter tyres would be good. I'd have them myself but for the fact I don't intend to take the green one out in the winter.

Don't give up hope though, everyone needs tyres Rich. I'm sure that this thread will have people looking.

C

That's the idea. I like to keep mine just inside the Gullwings...Nice and easy to get to.

A little further behind in the fridge I hope Chris…:thumbup::obscene-drinkingbu:

Back