Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Neil Peart dies, 67

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Just read tonight that NP of Rush died on Tuesday of brain cancer. I'm genuinely saddened. Huge influence on my music choices. A giant amongst drummers and the most incredible lyricist. Saw Rush on every tour since I can't remember. He stopped touring and playing completely in 2015 due to health issues. Turns out his days were numbered.

Great Drummer, Iv got Farewell to Kings on 12" vinyl somewhere. The only Rush Album i bought..RIP

Just read tonight that NP of Rush died on Tuesday of brain cancer. I'm genuinely saddened. Huge influence on my music choices. A giant amongst drummers and the most incredible lyricist. Saw Rush on every tour since I can't remember. He stopped touring and playing completely in 2015 due to health issues. Turns out his days were numbered.
:text-+1:
Saw this about the same time you posted. Never got to see them live myself but have a fair few of their CDs. In Geddy’s interview he said Neil had to stop due to arthritis but it looks like there was more to it.
67 is no age.
He leaves an incredible legacy.
RIP Neil.

I must admit I "hated" Rush along with my fellow punk mates but I wasn't sure why having never heard any of their songs.I. the mid 80s I was introduced to Zepplin , Hawkwind & Rush among others.The fact that they stayed together for 40 years & remained friends says a lot about their characters.As a drummer Peart , for me ranks among the greatest.Sadly missed.

I'm a huge Rush fan, but even I have to admit they're a bit of an acquired taste. Many Rush fans are divided too; some liking anything up around the Vapor Trails mark and some loving everything after that. I'm afraid to say I'm a classic Rush fan. I never stopped loving them though and saw every tour after Farewell to Kings and bought every album. Moving Pictures came out on my 16th Birthday and I was the first person in town to get a copy having waited for the shop to open and the van to arrive. I went home on the bus and played it back to back all day until my girlfriend thought of something more interesting to do. I don't pretend to know Mr Peart, but he's been a huge part of my life since first hearing those Mickey Mouse vocals on Closer to the Heart.

Go give Ginger and Keith some hell my friend. Say hi to Cozy for me too.

My Rush purchases started with Power Windows which I bought on cassette from Our Price on my 18th birthday, purely because it was on sale cheap.
What an album!
From then it was full speed ahead. A Farewell To Kings was next and I still listen to that a lot. Cygnus X-1 is still my favourite track. Needless to say I have all the studio albums, all the live albums/DVDs (Rush in Rio being a favourite) and have managed to see them a few times, from the Hold Your Fire tour through to the Clockwork Angels tour.
I think they chose the right time to stop though. Geddy's voice on the R40 tour was gone. Alex had arthritis in his hands and feet and Peart had carpal tunnel problems.
A sad loss of a very talented drummer and lyricist.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Power Windows was where I came in and have quite a few after that. I’ve noticed too that there’s a divide, when I mentioned or might have played Power Windows on a building site one day the plasterer said he ‘preferred it when they were singing about trees’. I’ve also heard it said they are more a guys band than a gal’s band (for fan base that is) and they are an acquired taste as they aren’t exactly mainstream but boy have they been successful for a non mainstream band. Just talent and bags of it!
I love the plays on words on many of the album covers. Hold your fire being one of the best.

Just checked and not including DVDs and VHS I have 32 official Rush albums. I was disappointed when they announced that they'd stopped being a band, but I did feel that it was time. 45 years of playing together is a hell of an achievement. I've read some of their books and frankly how they managed without all killing each other is a miracle. They were clearly good friends, but all perfectionists. You put three perfectionists in a studio and expect them to come up with an album in a week - just ain't gonna happen. 'Disposable' simply isn't a word you could attribute to any Rush album

Was very saddened and shocked to hear the news. One of the great drummers, more of a percussionist really. Vast range.

Yes certainly an illustrious career. They certainly weren't just some fly by night band. Peart was a real working man (yes I know before anyone says it). Great lyricist; some likened him to Mark Twain of course ....
I went to see them in 2112 I recal. Saw them in an art gallery afterwards moving pictures around. Certainly sad to see them stop in 2015 but it was a great farewell to kings I thought. I guess I should have read the signals you know. They probably had a show of hands or maybe just rolled the bones before calling it a day.

You can do better I'm sure..

I’ve never paid any attention to Rush, and I have no idea why.

Never too late as they say, starting now it seems...

RIP Neil

Back