Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New 100 series owner needing help

Richard HEath

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all, Im an Lc club virgin and have no idea how to start !
My name is Richard and I have a 100 series with iron man upgrade and no more ahc !
My reason for trying to have chat tonight was to find out if any one can help me cure my current problem with the truck and that is that it has no power ! Its been stood for a bit and when recently started ran ok but had no power whats so evever, we noticed there was an exhaust leak between the manifold and down pipe and so repaired this with the Milner supplied gasket, bolts and springs however no improvement only the new gasket melting and causing exhaust to carry on leaking !
I would much appreciate any input from you good people if you could spare a minute, many thanks and best wishes

Richard

Hi Richard, I moved this to the intro section for you as it appeared in the middle of Josh's thread on tyres.

I'm not an expert on the 100 series, but one cause could be a faulty or dirty Mass Air Sensor. Someone should be along soon to give you some ideas, I'm sure.

PDF filter blocked. this causes pressure to build up and force exhaust gasses past the sprung joint.
Welcome to the money pit Richard.

PDF filter blocked. this causes pressure to build up and force exhaust gasses past the sprung joint.
Welcome to the money pit Richard.
Thanks Andy, its a familiar place ! Where do I find the PDF filter ? somewhere in the exhaust system I guess ?

Thank you for taking the time to comment, much appreciated !

Best wishes

Richard

Hi Richard, I moved this to the intro section for you as it appeared in the middle of Josh's thread on tyres.

I'm not an expert on the 100 series, but one cause could be a faulty or dirty Mass Air Sensor. Someone should be along soon to give you some ideas, I'm sure.
Thank you Chris, didnt know where to start, Andy has been in touch with an idea so all good

Thank you

Richard

This might be an auto correct mistake. i think its the DPF filter on the exhaust if you have one fitted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ha, yes DPF of course. Typed while I was asleep obviously.
Thanks Andy, I too have dyslexia ! see cant even spell it !
Not sure that my truck being 1999 has a DPF however I think we may be yapping up the right kind of tree. Just wondering if its possible something has crawled up the exhaust during its lay up and filled it with some kind of debris that is now causing a blockage !
I welcome any further thoughts, Im certainly begining to feel part of the club so huge thanks again to all concerned !

Best wishes, not such a new boy now !

R

I red that your truck is '99 so it has nor DPF neither MAF sensor and almost certainly you have clasic wastegated turbocharger.
If no funny noises coming from engine (like injector rattling) and no smoke under load, the first thing I will check intake pipes for leakeges (see youtube for tutorial) and turbocharger for malfunctions (incorrect wastegate setting or ax play).
And one of the most important to test is MAP sensor (located between the fire panel and the intake pipe).
If all goods, then go and check your spill valve.

Hi Cruiser mania, thank you for your reply. I suspected that perhaps the truck is a bit old for any of these modern gadgets. Ive checked all induction hoses and the intercooler all seem well and air tight. No nasty engine knocks whistles excessive smoke just no apparent pressure on the induction side and the leak of exhaust gasses at any thing over 1800 rpm. Total lack of power necsesiatating selection of low box to accend any sort of gradient also although the turbo has never been particularly loud it is now barley audible !

Thanks again for your input

Best wishes

Richard

AFAIK all hdj100 delivered to Europe came with particulate filter, and they do get blocked. Just look under the car if there I a bulb on the pipe in front of the main silencer. If there is, cut the pipe 5 inches behind it. Then grab a long drillbit and make a good hole straight through, entering though the cut pipe. If that solves the problem, you can change the filter, if you want to.

Thank you uHu, just chatting with the local garage man, hes the kind that takes things apart and repairs them ! bit old fasioned but apparently thats what we did in the old days. He said its possible the cat is blocked and if removed can be flushed through with a degreeser and hot water over a couple of days which he says works pretty well !
Defo sounds like its a blockage in the exhaust of some kind

Thanks again

Best wishes

Richard

Thank you uHu, just chatting with the local garag
Thank you uHu, just chatting with the local garage man, hes the kind that takes things apart and repairs them ! bit old fasioned but apparently thats what we did in the old days. He said its possible the cat is blocked and if removed can be flushed through with a degreeser and hot water over a couple of days which he says works pretty well !

Thanks again

Best wishes

Richard

e man, hes the kind that takes things apart and repairs them ! bit old fasioned but apparently thats what we did in the old days. He said its possible the cat is blocked and if removed can be flushed through with a degreeser and hot water over a couple of days which he says works pretty well !

Thanks again

Best wishes

Richard
Check you dont have a small leak on a fuel pipe. My 80 diesel started running shite on sunday wouldn't accelerate and stalling (auto) at junctions.had a pinprick hole in pipe between fuel filter and diesel pump. Was sucking air under load. Ticked over and reved up perfectly on the drive. Just a simple and cheap check before pulling things apart.

Thanks again

Best wishes

Richard

Back