Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New battery needed

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Chaps, recommendations wanted for the best leisure battery please.

I'd say Optima Yellow YTS 5.5 but only if you have a really good DC to DC set up for AGMs. Do not charge one of these simply from the alternator. If not one of those then just a good big capacity lead acid like a Numax.

I'd say Optima Yellow YTS 5.5 but only if you have a really good DC to DC set up for AGMs. Do not charge one of these simply from the alternator. If not one of those then just a good big capacity lead acid like a Numax.
Thanks Chris, I don't have DC to DC so I'll replace with another Numax.

Is the old one stuffed completely then?

Running a numax and quite happy with it.

Well every morning the IB whatsit split charge is beeping at me so I presume the leisure battery a Numax CXV-X 1000 Amp is not holding a charge, even after putting it on charge the next day it will be bleeping.
I have three of them under the bonnet, two for starting and one for fridge etc, there's been no trouble starting.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well every morning the IB whatsit split charge is beeping at me so I presume the leisure battery a Numax CXV-X 1000 Amp is not holding a charge, even after putting it on charge the next day it will be bleeping.
I have three of them under the bonnet, two for starting and one for fridge etc, there's been no trouble starting.

Chris said:

:rage: Ah yes! while wiring up the microwave I discovered the inverter had been switched on all this time, that is why the IBS split charge had been beeping.
Since now leaving the inverter switched OFF, no more beeps, on the positive (no pun intended) side I now have a spare battery on the shelf, ah well I suppose it will be needed someday. :think:

Oh dear…
Batteries I believe don't like being left without being used, past a certain shelf date. You may find it not in the best of health if it's a long time before using it.

Oh dear…
Batteries I believe don't like being left without being used, past a certain shelf date. You may find it not in the best of health if it's a long time before using it.
I phoned Tanya to check and the man said just an overnight charge every 4/6 weeks should keep it OK.
I've got a smart charger which says can be left connected permanently, what do I do? :think:

Chas if your going to the overland show I may be interested in it. Need one for my trailer. Let me know.

TBH Chas, I'd suggest selling it. Im certainly no expert on these things, but however you store it, the ones being used regularly are likely to last longer, so there's not much use in keeping it.

I think Stu has your answer Chas. Otherwise connect the smart charger and leave it on. It will then take care of it.

Chas if your going to the overland show I may be interested in it. Need one for my trailer. Let me know.
Sorry Stu, I think I'll use it to replace the existing leisure battery, that one has been in there for quite a few years now and as I'm off to Romania in a few weeks I wouldn't want it to fail on me while away.

I reinstalled the fridge freezer the other day and just to test it was working OK I plugged it in, within an hour the IBS split charge was beeping at me so the new battery was installed today.

Back