Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Car - Intro and a few questions

As for BEBs.. I went to toyota and nearly cried at the price and they gave me prices for different sizes. Anyone know more about this size wise? Also stuff doing that myself, was cleaning the underneath and not so keen on getting in about all that metal!

I think the sizes are stamped on the journals when you dismantle, or maybe on the shells themselves. When dismantling, I would suggest that you take care to set out the shells as you remove them to keep track of what came from where.

But as said, there's plenty of posts on replacing BEBs on this forum. Have a search and read.

Karl's your man for the bearings Benji. You can get to the sump ok. Removing it requires a sump splitter tool. There's plenty of info on here about doing this. You will need plastigauge. Available in the post from the manufacturers down the road from me at Ford West Sussex. You will also need new stretch bolts from Toyota and some RTV sealant.

I think the sizes are stamped on the journals when you dismantle, or maybe on the shells themselves. When dismantling, I would suggest that you take care to set out the shells as you remove them to keep track of what came from where.

But as said, there's plenty of posts on replacing BEBs on this forum. Have a search and read.

Thank you sir! I think I shall be letting a garage do this, looked into it and yeah...not for me! haha! I have PM'd Karl and shall get them sorted ASAP! The ACL ones good forever are they?

Nothing's good forever BC but with Toyota ones tricky to size and hugely expensive, everyone goes with ACLs which are reputed to be good for a minimum 100,000 miles and most probably much more. IIRC ACL made race car bearings so should know a thing or two about them.

Nothing's good forever BC but with Toyota ones tricky to size and hugely expensive, everyone goes with ACLs which are reputed to be good for a minimum 100,000 miles and most probably much more. IIRC ACL made race car bearings so should know a thing or two about them.

Sweet! Well that is good enough for me! I shall order some and then do an oil change! all should be good as new....

Thank you sir! I think I shall be letting a garage do this, looked into it and yeah...not for me! haha! I have PM'd Karl and shall get them sorted ASAP! The ACL ones good forever are they?

This is really quite a straight forward job(if not a tad messy) with any amount of support on this site.
I'm no car mechanic, bikes are my thing but lots of 80 jobs are DIY.
Working on your car yourself is the best way to get to know it and labour ££ saved can be put to extra goodies.

You will soon empty your bank account if get garages to do the jobs that are needed to keep these wagons at their best.

Anyhow, enjoy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is really quite a straight forward job(if not a tad messy) with any amount of support on this site.
I'm no car mechanic, bikes are my thing but lots of 80 jobs are DIY.
Working on your car yourself is the best way to get to know it and labour ££ saved can be put to extra goodies.

You will soon empty your bank account if get garages to do the jobs that are needed to keep these wagons at their best.

Anyhow, enjoy.

I would normally agree with you there but I have a fear over changing engine components, always have. I know a guy who knows a guy who can do it for me I'm sure. Everything else though, I shall give a bash to!

2015-10-19_12.40.00_1[1].jpg

Here's the beast for anyone interested.

Solid rear side windows, does that make it an import?

Nice and clean looking... :thumbup:

Bright looking machine :thumbup:

regards

Dave

Cheers Dave!

Sunny Inverness Dave.

Always sunny here...just not today...

Solid rear side windows, does that make it an import?

Nice and clean looking... :thumbup:

It sure is Clive, fridge freezer and a roller rear shelf. Any idea what those bars are for across the window? I was thinking of spanning some washing line for when you need to wash your underwear after some scary moments on the road... or off the road!

Well that's a point, it would work:lol:

Can't think of anything else they'd be good for, are they sturdy or just lightweight tubing, can they be removed easily?

A bit embarrassed, just re-read post #1 and you say it's an import :icon-rolleyes::oops:

Hmm, imports normally have the silly wing mirror on the nearside wing & the swing out wheel carrier.

They are sturdy enough. I guessed they were to stop loads hitting against the window as the rear is dedicated to load space rather than people with seats to protect the windows when not in use.

Yes they remove very easily when fitting Gullwing doors. [emoji4]

Hmm, imports normally have the silly wing mirror on the nearside wing & the swing out wheel carrier.

The mirror could have been blanked and mine (1994 HDJ 81) has the under slung spare. Plenty of chrome and, let's be honest, doesn't that paint job look like it was aimed at the Japanese market?

Well done Benji - you could easily move up to a 16inch rim or alloy like the later models. This will also allow you to upgrade the (front) brakes to larger discs & calipers

Well that's a point, it would work:lol:

Can't think of anything else they'd be good for, are they sturdy or just lightweight tubing, can they be removed easily?

A bit embarrassed, just re-read post #1 and you say it's an import :icon-rolleyes::oops:

They seem sturdy enough, I'm going to hang all sorts off them, maybe make some beef jerky in the heat of the Scottish highlands....

I thought that too but apparently not, it has Japanese stickers throughout the inside so it most certainly is an import! It never came with a service manual though, can I pick these up as i would like to document things I have done to it. It has plenty receipts for work undertaken just no owners manual!

They are sturdy enough. I guessed they were to stop loads hitting against the window as the rear is dedicated to load space rather than people with seats to protect the windows when not in use.

Yes they remove very easily when fitting Gullwing doors. [emoji4]

You boys love a gullwing door..

The mirror could have been blanked and mine (1994 HDJ 81) has the under slung spare. Plenty of chrome and, let's be honest, doesn't that paint job look like it was aimed at the Japanese market?

Straight out of an Anime film isn't it!? It's kind of growing on me, ugly and fat around the edges, just like looking in the mirror!

Well done Benji - you could easily move up to a 16inch rim or alloy like the later models. This will also allow you to upgrade the (front) brakes to larger discs & calipers

That is the plan Iceman! Going to get some 16 x 10's on 33" AT's and a 2" lift kit. Got an original swing out wheel carrier also! I have looked into bigger brakes, what's the best option? will I need bigger calipers?

Back