Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New center console build

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
One thing that has really bugged me about my 90, Pretty much since the day I got her is that the Storage box in the center console is not high enough to rest one elbow on when driving. Well, I got up this morning and finally decided to do something about it. (Plus I wanted a little more space to install some more switches for a couple of projects I have in the planning stages. There is only the 1 piccy for now as it is now way to dark to get any decent shots but will take some more in the morning for you all.

Made mostly from 12mm MDF (because that's what wer int shed) The lid is made from 25mm Marine ply (The stuff the use for the floors in containers.) CB and Amp for my Tab fit nicely inside and are very accessible. All in all I am quite happy so far. :icon-biggrin:

At least my cup holders are not going to get broken!!!!!!!

2012-11-30143257.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I have also replaced my centre console with some wood and stuff in the 80.

Nice work Chris. :clap:

What might make it look even better would be if you covered it in a black vinyl type material. :think:

Its still a work in progress at the moment ben. I have got some hard wearing charcoal gray carpet we use to cover our flight cases in the loft. I was thinking of replacing all the carpets with it and also covering the console. Then i remembered i have about 40 sq.m of anti vibration rubber matting that we use for putting under water pumps in buildings like hotels to keep them a little more quiet so i might us this instead. Just gotta decide weather i want the luxury of carpet of the functionality of rubber.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

That looks very nice and will be brilliant when upholstered. :)

One point is that will the bottom corner of the "lid" scrape your forearm when you use the handbrake? If so, would it be better to follow the contour line of unit for the lid too?

That looks very nice and will be brilliant when upholstered. :)

One point is that will the bottom corner of the "lid" scrape your forearm when you use the handbrake? If so, would it be better to follow the contour line of unit for the lid too?

I dit consider that Chad but aftte test fitting it square it didn't cause any problems. However it may do in other peoples dtiving psitions which meassn it is n excellent deterent for the wife driving my baby. :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Any further forward with the mod yet? It's taking shape and will look really cool once covered.

I think the comfort of some soft upholstery, rather than the cold feel of rubber.
Unless your that way inclined mind you, then rubber is, stop,,,stop,,,stop,,,stop,,,

Gra.

I hate those center console as well! Can you post more pictures for ideas.

Cheers from Cairo
Issa

I hate those center console as well! Can you post more pictures for ideas.

Cheers from Cairo
Issa

How very odd that you would post this today mate. I have been out today to get me some carpet to cover my console....soooo....it will be coming out tomorrow for me to cover it so I will take lots of piccies for you

very nicely done, i too made up a centre box as my back was aching not been able to rest the auld elbow! will look great covered. well done.

How very odd that you would post this today mate. I have been out today to get me some carpet to cover my console....soooo....it will be coming out tomorrow for me to cover it so I will take lots of piccies for you

Perfect timing then! :)

Will be waiting for the pictures mate. Do you have other pictures for your shorty?

Finally got around to finishing it today. and I have to say I am quite pleased.

In the end I got the carpet from quid shop for 25p/square foot and it was already sticky, Very Sticky

2013-02-06085313_zps31422fb7.jpg

2013-02-06085325_zpsebd14c25.jpg

2013-02-06085336_zpseeda4355.jpg

2013-02-06092520_zpsb50c3c51.jpg

2013-02-06144616_zps414ae85c.jpg

2013-02-06154346_zpsbaae5ba5.jpg

2013-02-06160706_zps51d8b304.jpg

2013-02-06160742_zpsc5401493.jpg

2013-02-06160749_zps28ff6aaf.jpg

2013-02-06160755_zps345d4782.jpg

Looks great man! I like the aluminium on the corners. Did you put a latch on the center part so it doesn't rattle? Maybe an extra cup holder that can be drawn out just above your amplifier would be useful.

Looks great man! I like the aluminium on the corners. Did you put a latch on the center part so it doesn't rattle? Maybe an extra cup holder that can be drawn out just above your amplifier would be useful.

The lid is very Heavy and I am a very lazy driver (Either that or it has been so beautifully designed that you can't help but rest your elbow on it) so it doesn't really nee a catch to stop it rattling. I have thought another pop out storage bin would be handy (as opposed to a cup holder) as I end up putting my smokes in one of the cup holders so If I have a passanger they can't use theirs. hhhmmmmm something to ponder.

Wish I could afford Aluminium:lol:. But if it convinced you then I'm a happy bunny

It surely did ! :)

I'm thinking of just replacing the lid of center console and make it higher but in 2 parts instead of one, what do you think? Anyway I'm just speaking out loud for ideas ;)

Attachments

• cup-holder.jpg
    cup-holder.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
It surely did ! :)

I'm thinking of just replacing the lid of center console and make it higher but in 2 parts instead of one, what do you think? Anyway I'm just speaking out loud for ideas ;)

I guess you mean hinge it where the lid is now but with a box instead of a lid then a lid on that. That is what I first thought of doing but since I first decided that something need to be done I have added the amp and CB and would also like to add a switch bank so a full new console seemed like the best idea for my needs.

Like the idea of the pop out tray. Might have to look into that one.

Why oh why are these things never simple, you spend ages planning and doing only to find yet another exciting mod you never thought of.:lol:

Back