Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New ESAB welding helmet

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Another something and nothing post, but it's raining and I'm bored.
I've been welding for some time but despite the years, I've only ever had the one welding helmet right from the start. It's been a decent thing has the old Parweld, but I have to say I've been struggling more and more to see what I'm doing. Getting spares has been harder too. So this week I took the plunge and bought an ESAB Aristo HD.

Auto screens are rated with a 4 figure reference such as 1.2.1.2 These figures relate to things like optical clarity blah blah. So the ESAB is 1.1.1.1 which is the best.

Verdict so far after a quick play? HOLY HECK! It's a new world. I can see the weld puddle and even see where I am going!

Flipping marvellous.

Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 13.46.24.jpg

Won't go far wrong with a Esab lid I have been using a Sentinel for a while
2460DD98-61FE-4584-9C0B-F72A918A7D89.jpeg

Iv been on the same path recently, Eye sight Failing, Mask useless, I was Welding the other Week and when i flipped the Mask up the bead was about 5mm Away from the join.... So got a new mask off ebay (only 20 quid). Every thing is back to normal now, But for some reason it hasn't sorted the wire feed motor Problem, Maybe some new Gloves will sort it. The poor old welder is 30yrs old now..

For failing eyes it is worth putting a cheater lens in your mask, that's what I have in mine

Should i go to Specsavers For Them...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sentinel looks nice. My concern with a fancy helmet was the fit. As I didn't have the opportunity to try them on, I figured I'd go with simple and traditional. Cracking looking bit of kit though.

Problem with the Sentinal is the rounded front much as it looks cool, you need to be very careful not to put it down screen 1st or it scratches badly

Another something and nothing post, but it's raining and I'm bored.
I've been welding for some time but despite the years, I've only ever had the one welding helmet right from the start. It's been a decent thing has the old Parweld, but I have to say I've been struggling more and more to see what I'm doing. Getting spares has been harder too. So this week I took the plunge and bought an ESAB Aristo HD.

Auto screens are rated with a 4 figure reference such as 1.2.1.2 These figures relate to things like optical clarity blah blah. So the ESAB is 1.1.1.1 which is the best.

Verdict so far after a quick play? HOLY HECK! It's a new world. I can see the weld puddle and even see where I am going!

Flipping marvellous.

View attachment 161498
The controls on my parweld have started to fail too.
Have you got flaming skulls on the sides of your new helmet Chris? :?

Nope. I don't go in for that sort of stuff really. There's only me in the workshop and seeing as I can't actually see the outside of the helmet when I'm welding ... There's some pretty cool designs I know. But I figure you need to be a really good welder to be able to pull that off.

I like to use this one, although I don't use it as much now I'm retired, I also brought some for my lads and lassies in my fab shop.

3M Speedglas G5-01 with Adflo 617830

346880.jpg

What's the, erm, other bit for?
The other bit is for extract or intake of air, good for long heavy welds, some company's have to use them for good old H&S reasons.

There are cheaper ones on the market, but I like the saying "Buy cheap buy twice"

Here's some manufactures blurb.

Based on extensive input from welders working at high amperages that need to grind frequently, the 3M Speedglas Heavy-Duty Welding Helmet G5-01 is created to be adaptable to an individualÕs needs and situation. The new 3M Speedglas Heavy-Duty Welding Helmet G5-01 has more adjustable features than ever: from the colour as seen through the welding filter to the direction of the airflow and the level of coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a welding mask really, the pink bit at the front emits a lazer beam and the 'other bit' is the recharger, it's used in the game 'Halo' so my Grand kids have just told me, drat, now they want it for Christmas.

Just looked up the price for one of those G5-01 ... 1500 quid, I can’t justify that for the amount of welding I do, I’ll just hold my breath. Did get one like chris has and must admit it was night and day to my old welding mask.

Reactions: uHu
Back