Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New exhaust

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys, any ideas on a exhaust system for my 1hdt engine?

I am abroad in cyprus so needs to be one that can be bought of the shelf and fit right here.

Looking around I see some on eBay and also Milners do one two for £220. Not sure of quality of any?

Would of liked a larger than stock but that may be difficult as stock.

All advice welcome

Thanks [emoji4]

My only advice would be pay the money and go SS

SS is only good if you wanna keep what you've got for good , sounds to me like Indigo would like a custom made system but must make do with whatever he can get for now so the cheaper the better i would imagine .

Custom made 3 in would be nice Shayne but too much trouble!! found a 2.5 in off the shelf SS on eBay for £500.

EBay no: 371010770843

Looks good more than than twice the price for std ones sold.

Is it worth it I wonder?

Here in Cyprus cars don't rust and underseals of cars are good.

Custom made 3 in would be nice Shayne but too much trouble!! found a 2.5 in off the shelf SS on eBay for £500.

EBay no: 371010770843

Looks good more than than twice the price for std ones sold.

Is it worth it I wonder?

Here in Cyprus cars don't rust and underseals of cars are good.

I paid just over £500 for a custom made 3" stainless side exit exhaust fitted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Towpack, how did you find the exhaust difference?

Would like a 3 in but would need to make it in-house.

Me to Towpack but i was lucky coz i didn't have to go far to get it , there's quite a few want one but can't get it within a days travel . Would i be right in thinking 2.5 is a slightly bigger diameter over standard ?

Think 2.5 is standard Shayne with most opting for 3 for better performance I hear.

Thought it was 2.25 for some reason but maybe that's the 90 series . I put a 3" exhaust on my 90 and it was well worth the money .

You could be right Shayne with 2.25. Not sure myself. Know it's not more than 2.5 std.

Being a bigger bore with one less silencer and obviously much shorter being side exit, it is much less restrictive. It's louder than stock but not offensively so. Wouldn't like to go any louder though especially with a side exit as it's barely 5 feet from your right ear! The initial difference was in the slightly lower EGT's. I also tweaked the IP (not the main volume adjustment) after having it fitted and although it made no discernable difference to max power the turbo certainly spools up faster improving low down performance. The next step would be an IC so the fuelling and boost could be increased further without sending the EGT's through the roof.
I was also lucky having an exhaust fabrication Co. barely 5 miles away.

This exhaust is 2.5 with only one silencer from the turbo to the back. This is good for me this way as the set up I have is the same. Should be better than stock?

No 3 inch ss systems are ready of the shelf in the UK. Will look to see if I can make one here too and way the costs?

After fully rebuilding the engine the right exhaust would make it go that much sweeter :p

I think you can get away without a silencer, with a turbo.

Yes Clive the Cybox exhaust ss system on eBay shows one box instead of two as standard. Looking at prices here fitted or import of shelf & fit?

Been told by another member on here that they had nothing but problems with the cybox system and was not as good ad it appears. Ruled that one out now!! I guess best ti get a ss system install on site?

the 3 inch is a great mod to do i have a side exit and its amazing. sounds great and picks up alot quicker.

Towpack made the side exhaust suggestion too stumog but I don't do any off roading to worry about the tail end.
Going to see a store next week to see how the quality is and prices.
If I'm going to have one made needs to be 3 inch from the turbo back.

I know they cut and weld here with some bends ready.

Would of been better to be able to bend the steel. Not sure if this would make much difference apart from visually?

Towpack made the side exhaust suggestion too stumog but I don't do any off roading to worry about the tail end.
Going to see a store next week to see how the quality is and prices.
If I'm going to have one made needs to be 3 inch from the turbo back.

I know they cut and weld here with some bends ready.

Would of been better to be able to bend the steel. Not sure if this would make much difference apart from visually?

Mine was tailor made, and comprises both bends and some cut/welds, but they are generally just for minor alignments (the droop on the tailpipe, for example). The bends around the chassis are formed, continuous pipe.

3 1/2" was no benefit to me as mine's a non-turbo.

image.jpg

Fabbed, ready for fitting....

Last edited:
Back