Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New from Abderdeenshire

Gilbert v H

Hi

My name is Gilbert. I recently bought a 1992 VX Limtid. No service history, leaking rear break, leaking power steering pump, superwinch x9 (not working), ABS (not working, although new mot), Aircon (condenser shot), of course the windows are slow (only up though)... so loads of joy ;), (now I'm writing this, I wonder what I've done :lol: ) ... apart from that, bullbar and 285 BF AT.

I started of with giving the Truck a change of all fluids and going to power replace power steering pump and repair rear caliper and Aircon condenser.
When my wife is over the first shock, I would like to start of with a lift and a snorkel, refurbish wheel (first thought black matt) and paint the bottom half and wheel arches matching (there is some rust on at the bottom of one rear door and two of the arches have a crack).
Once the weather is a bit better and I've some time on my hands, I am also going to wire brush the underneath and hammerite it. So loads of projects and no time.

Cheers
Gilbert

Hi Gilbert and welcome to the forum.

No ABS, leaking callipers with a new MOT.....mmmm...wouldn't go back to where the MOT was done ;) :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you have your hands full with that one, but you will not be disappointed they are fantastic trucks.

Steve

BlackWidow said:
Hi Gilbert and welcome to the forum.

No ABS, leaking callipers with a new MOT.....mmmm...wouldn't go back to where the MOT was done ;) :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you have your hands full with that one, but you will not be disappointed they are fantastic trucks.

Steve

Hi Steve

The garage actually overhauled the rear calipers and did some other bids and bobs, the previous owner got a bill for £1300 for all the work.
Unfortunately I noticed the ABS (ABS light does not come on, although light bulb and fuse are OK) and the caliper only after I driven it home and the garage is to far away to make it worthwhile to take it back.
I got the Truck relatively cheap so it's not too bad and I cuold not be bothered to travel all other the country anymore. For the money and time it cost to go to England to look at diffrent cars I can quite a bit of repairs done. Fortunately I know hoe to use a spanner.

Cheers
Gilbert

HI Gilbert

Welcome

Calipers - if its the seals leaking you can ask Ian Rubie on here - he can get the caliper seal kits very cheap - and there is a good tech write up on replacing them - relatively quick job.

Power steering leak - depending on how bad have read a capful or 2 of brake fluid in the power steering reservoir causes the seals to swell so that could be a temporary fix for you.

Windows - replace the window rubbers (Ian Rubie again for the parts), and strip and clean the switch contacts - replacing the rubbers is a really quick job too. They are worse in cold wet weather until you replace the rubbers and clean the contacts.

Underside - rust - have seen some good results with Dinitrol products. The rust converter is excellent. Something like this
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... roof%20Kit
Also pop out your side lights - one screw and they "pop" forwards (a little copper grease on the locator before you refit them will ease the process for when you next take them out), and also look up from the base of the front doors - you may see some rust in there too. The Dinitrol coromax should help with that one.

Tough trucks, some TLC and you'll have something excellent, and very capable.

Do check your front swivel hubs too (a good tech write up on here).

And you BIG END BEARINGS. Most important.

As for the garage, could be useful in the future.

If you need other parts, Stef is a breaker in England. His details in the suppliers section.

Anyway good luck.

welcome to the forum...

show us some pictures of that rolling restoration project then.... :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now I am looking at it and compare with other non lifted cars, can it be that my truck has already a lift (those are 285/75)?

It doesn't look lifted to me, any other opinions?

Welcome to the forum

Looks the same as mine, also running 285s with no lift.

(When I say looks the same as mine, I mean other than the colour :D

Well it has to be lifted then!

What do you think about painting the bottom half stain black and powder coating the wheels the same colour?

Back