Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New here and need advice.

MtnGoat

Country Flag
united_states
Hello to all you Cruiserophiles. I just located this arena and since I need more help than I used to need, I figured I should waste no time leaping head first into the swamp.
My wife and I married in 1974 (still going strong) and the first thing we bought as a couple was a 1971 FJ 40 with 30,000 street only miles on it. We still have the thing but due to many factors haven't driven it since 1986. It has been cared for and parked inside for the majority of the time. Now it's time to put it back to work. But first it needs some repairs (why it got parked all those years ago). I do all the repairs myself and know it pretty well. BUT! I must remove the output extension to replace the bearings. Never tackled that before since it never came up. So I know one of you can tell me what a job it will be (or not, I hope). This is job 1 of several more minor problems to solve. So if you don't mind sharing your experience on the bearing problem I would sure appreciate the information. All the best to you.

Hello to all you Cruiserophiles. I just located this arena and since I need more help than I used to need, I figured I should waste no time leaping head first into the swamp.
My wife and I married in 1974 (still going strong) and the first thing we bought as a couple was a 1971 FJ 40 with 30,000 street only miles on it. We still have the thing but due to many factors haven't driven it since 1986. It has been cared for and parked inside for the majority of the time. Now it's time to put it back to work. But first it needs some repairs (why it got parked all those years ago). I do all the repairs myself and know it pretty well. BUT! I must remove the output extension to replace the bearings. Never tackled that before since it never came up. So I know one of you can tell me what a job it will be (or not, I hope). This is job 1 of several more minor problems to solve. So if you don't mind sharing your experience on the bearing problem I would sure appreciate the information. All the best to you.
Hi mtngoat, sounds a great project. BUT i cant decypher what the output extension is - probably called something else in europe. Could you add pictures and any more detail please? Im sure the tech experts will be able to assist on here
Cheers ben

Hi and welcome Mtn. Good to have you on board this most friendly forum. Great that you are putting your 40 series back on the road. There's a few guys on here know and love the 40s so I'm sure youll find some help. Best thing though is to continue this on the 40 series section where other 40 series owners will see it and you should get more help and responses.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Best wishes
Richard

Welcome...
I have looked in my American books for 'output extension' but find nothing under that name so as Ben says we need photos and a different, fuller description.
There are a number of knowledgeable 40 members on here but if we don't recognize your terminology then it is difficult to advise.

Regards,

Thanks all. Since I'm new, I'm still grouping around in the dark, here. I had no idea there was a dedicated 40 series forum. I'll go there. Next. I'm using the Toyota motor Co. repair manual #98077-1, chassis and body book. The part I'm referring to is labeled the output shaft extension in the manual. Maybe that explains the situation and problem of not recognizing the part. On the other hand, the problem could be that I'm a native Texan living in Wyoming, USA and close to Yellowstone National Park. Many people, everywhere, say I barely speak English to begin with. Funny. I understand, nearly, every word I speak and some of what I write. Did that help any?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The extension housing is the long part extending out from the transfer case's lower right.....

land cruiser transfer case.jpg

Hi,
I've never striped a transfer case - don't you have to be a member of some darkside coven to go inside gearboxes, etc(?) - but if you look at www.sor.com online catalogue page 68 there are fully exploded drawings and the list all the parts. Sor are in California and their parts are excellent, not the cheapest but I've never had a problem in 15 years of using them. Their tech support is good with real people answering the phone!
From the drawings it looks like you can draw the nose cone away replace bearings, gaskets and rebuild. I'm sure it is a lot easier to write about than do.
Hope that helps.

Regards

....the problem could be that I'm a native Texan living in Wyoming, USA and close to Yellowstone National Park. Many people, everywhere, say I barely speak English to begin with. Funny. I understand, nearly, every word I speak and some of what I write. Did that help any?

Brilliant! :clap::clap:

Welcome aboard MtnGoat... :thumbup:

See? What did I tell you? I couldn't even spell "advice" properly! But that falls under the "understand some of what I write" clause so I'm OK.
I think titles can be edited Mt.

WOW!! What a revelation!! The world I inhabit is SO interesting! Luckily I'm the only one in here. More than one person would complicate matters even worse than they are. Thanks StarCruiser.

Wow! Seems like I have asked the $64,000 question. Are you trying to get me to believe NOT ONE OF YOU KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? You gotta be kidding me!!!! I can't be the only one on here that still works on their own TOJO! I must be some kind of rare dinosaur, then. Too bad. Knowing how to fix 'em is as important as knowing how to use 'em. Wish I could afford to have all the work done by someone else. That's too weird to contemplate. You've missed out on half the pride in driving these little tanks.

First welcome, and second the reason not many have learned to work on their Landcruisers is because they don't go wrong very often. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

I see you've posted in the 40 section Mt, I expect that's the best place to continue your search for assistance. What I will say is that from my experience of my 80, which of course has your 40 somewhere in its family tree, is that these trucks are generally straight forward to work on. My advice would be to have a go yourself and add to your 40 series thread with photos and concise detailed info on what you encountered and the process you took to get the bearings changed and the gearbox all up and running again. If you are methodical and careful and clean up the parts as you go, you should be fine. I don't mean to be teaching you to suck eggs of course as I get the impression you have some good experience working on vehicles or other machines.

Good luck with it, it's probably not the evil task you think it is. I'm not sure if there may be a service manual available (on here) for the 40 series. Someone in the 40 section may know.

Last edited:
Wow! Seems like I have asked the $64,000 question. Are you trying to get me to believe NOT ONE OF YOU KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? You gotta be kidding me!!!! I can't be the only one on here that still works on their own TOJO! I must be some kind of rare dinosaur, then. Too bad. Knowing how to fix 'em is as important as knowing how to use 'em. Wish I could afford to have all the work done by someone else. That's too weird to contemplate. You've missed out on half the pride in driving these little tanks.

Trucks that don't go wrong don't need much fixing MG, that might have something to do with it :think:

First welcome, and second the reason not many have learned to work on their Landcruisers is because they don't go wrong very often. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave
Absolutely right! But nothing lasts forever. Eventually something will pop.

I see you've posted in the 40 section Mt, I expect that's the best place to continue your search for assistance. What I will say is that from my experience of my 80, which of course has your 40 somewhere in its family tree, is that these trucks are generally straight forward to work on. My advice would be to have a go yourself and add to your 40 series thread with photos and concise detailed info on what you encountered and the process you took to get the bearings changed and the gearbox all up and running again. If you are methodical and careful and clean up the parts as you go, you should be fine. I don't mean to be teaching you to suck eggs of course as I get the impression you have some good experience working on vehicles or other machines.

Good luck with it, it's probably not the evil task you think it is. I'm not sure if there may be a service manual available (on here) for the 40 series. Someone in the 40 section may know.

I never thought you were trying to teach me anything. My skin is tough as a Rhinastysauras. I do have considerable experience repairing my cruiser over all the 43 years of owning it. 3 clutches and all that entails, head removal, replacing axles, installing after market fuel tanks, etc., etc. But I'm a little broken myself these days and have no help. So rather than just jump all over it as I used to, I figured I'd ask for any knowledge of the surgery before I pulled it apart and got a nasty surprise ( I still get those on a regular basis). Besides. It got me involved with this bunch! Nice bunch of people.

Hi,
I've never striped a transfer case - don't you have to be a member of some darkside coven to go inside gearboxes, etc(?) - but if you look at www.sor.com online catalogue page 68 there are fully exploded drawings and the list all the parts. Sor are in California and their parts are excellent, not the cheapest but I've never had a problem in 15 years of using them. Their tech support is good with real people answering the phone!
From the drawings it looks like you can draw the nose cone away replace bearings, gaskets and rebuild. I'm sure it is a lot easier to write about than do.
Hope that helps.

Regards

Just as an addendum. I'm not doing a full teardown. This is an "in place" repair. I hope!

Back