Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New in the club - Overlanding Africa with 80 series

ta24z

Country Flag
france
Hello everybody,

I'm new on this club, I just sold my Land Rover Discovery II full of leaks and orange lights to buy a LC 80 series, 4.5 GX.

It's fully equipped because I'm planning to do with my future wife a trip with it from Johannesburg where I leave to Paris where I'm from between August and December. We will crosse Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan and Egypt before taking the boat to Italy.

I'm taker of any advice, any recommendation, any help on mechanic issues and I hope I'm sure I'll find a nice community here.

I have a first concern: the car is very heavy on fuel (i'm getting 30l/100km in town even if I didn't use it enough yet to have a full picture). I know it's normal with this model, the rooftent etc... But do you have any recommendations to help me pushing it down?

Thanks a lot

Pierre

Last edited:
Welcome Pierre,

And Congrats. I can't see the pictures in you link - but it would be worth posting a few on here.

It looks like you have the South African Spec 4.5l Carb cruiser. YES they are a bit thirsty. The South Africans Joke that they do 4.5km per Litre and thats what the sign on the side means.

There are a few options to try and improve fuel economy but some of the best options I believe are choose your tires and their pressure correctly, and try and not over load the trucks.

It's also worth looking on the South African Land cruiser forum for local knowledge.

For maps / navigation, I would suggest that you look at Tracks for Africa.

Good Luck - would love to follow your travels if you do a Blog and look forward to some photos.

Edit: Here is a link:
http://landcruiserclub.co.za/forum/

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. I'll post some pictures of the car when it will be ready and fully prepared.

What tyres do you guys recommend? The trip shouldn't include lots of sand, except in Botswana. Mainly tar and rocky gravel roads.

Welcome Pierre,

Good to have you aboard. Sounds like you've got a couple of big milestones coming up with getting married and a big trip. Good luck and congratulations on both, it looks like you've got your priorities right getting a new cruiser before a new wife. :) Nice looking truck by the way, I've not come across one of those before.

Best wishes and looking forward to more photos, especially on your trip.

Best wishes
Richard

The favorite tires appear to be BFG all terrain ko2 Tyres. I would not go bigger than 285/75/16. Mud Tyres tend to be a bit more aggressive. In my opinion it's also worth carrying 2 spares and a puncture kit when in Africa. Maybe even a spare inner tube as well as other various spares that have been discussed in detail in other topics.

Thansk guys for your advices.

I have another question to try to evaluate my budget: how much could I eventually sold a 80 series fully safari equipped in UK?

thanks

Pierre

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello guys

Since the last time I posted it things have changed....

My mech in Joburg, who I fully trust, noticed loads of stuff to fix on the car (it's around 6.000 euros of fixing) so he recommended me to sell the car.

I'm then trying to sell it and I might buy a 80 series (diesel this time) which has 400.000 km on the clock -not that uncommon in South Africa- but which is in mint condition.

Any owner here of a 80 series diesel who could give some feedback on is vehicle?
cheers

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

There are a lot of 80 diesel owners on here. And I am sure if you had questions they will be answered.

By way of selling it on in the UK as well, you would likely get a better price for a diesel than a petrol (at the moment. ..)

Welcome to the club. I am also new here to the club however not to the world 4x4's. Here is a list of things you should have ifyou are travelling long trips or cross country in any vehicle.

1. Install third party guages . like the defi multilink ZD advance. It will give you exact readings while you drive as to whats going on with your vehicle. In other words its a preemptive tool, so you will know when things are about to go wrong ( in most cases) before they go catastrophically wrong. The other thing with these guages is that they dont let you abuse your vehicle , once the alarms are set they will warn you if you are going above normal ranges. In my opinion its a must have however there is always the Murphy law thingi.
2. Carry a multi power bank with a car jump start function . Minimum 20,000 mah with peak current at 400amps. Very very Handy , specially if you are in the middle of nowhere.
3. Air compressor and tire pressure guage. Air down on mud, sand , rocks etc. Air up on metal roads.
4. A recovery setup. Tow strap , U bolts or shackles. If you are going into terrain that might bog you then a winch is very handy if not that then atleast carry a hi -lift jack.
5. Carry a tent and survival gear wisely. Always stock up on dry food items , like biscuits , energy bars etc , keep a stock of 3 days atleast.
6. Install a small 12v inverter in your vehicle which will give you 110 or 220 volts for charging stuff.
7. Install multi directional lights , so when you camp out at night , you should have lights in any direction that you may need.
8. Last but not the least carry any medications you usually consume plus a emergency medical kit , not just a first aid kit.

I am sure others here can add to stuff , but this is all that I have in my truck, and right now cant think of anything else.

Now to your predicament, I understand your mech has told you to sell the vehicle , however get another opinion, see whats really critical . Take it for a small test trip. But if you think you can sell it and get a diesel truck do so at a minimum loss. 80 series diesel trucks are very reliable specially the ones with 1HD engines , I dont own one but have heard its reliable.

Most of all remmember to enjoy your truck , cause the best truck in the world will always be the one you drive :)

Many thanks, I take good note of that.

I'm not on a LC100 series, automatic diesel. It's a bit more expensive, than what I sold the 80 for, but sounds a good option as well.

Many thanks, I take good note of that.

I'm not on a LC100 series, automatic diesel. It's a bit more expensive, than what I sold the 80 for, but sounds a good option as well.
I am sure you will find a nice truck for yourself soon :) When do you plan to leave for your trip?

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.
Planning a trip to Africa in next few years so note taking.

Back