Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Islander - Help with Rear Seats

Joe427

Hi everyone.

Totally new to vintage Land Cruisers and trying to learn more in anticipation of purchasing one which will live on the island of Nantucket.

My main issue is with seating. Can anyone get me started on which models have most capacity? What is the a"Troopy" that I'm reading about? I see some models with longer wheelbases have longer rear folding seats, while others are shorter. I'd like to limit my search to any models that can seat 7 or more people, even uncomfortably. I see several where you can put 3 up front and 4 in back but can't figure out which years and models to focus on.

Thanks so much,
Joe

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum!

My 1995 Euro spec 80 series (HZJ80) is classed here in Romania as a 7 seater.
2 in the front accessed from the front driver/passenger doors, 3 in the "middle-row" accessed from the rear passenger doors, and 2 in the "third-row" accessed from the rear passenger doors, with the "middle-row" seats folded for access.

For some unknown reason, the self same (body) on a UK 95 80 series (HDJ80) is classed as an 8 seater as I've heard.

Can't help you with a troopy, but someone will be along I imagine.

One thing to consider is seat belts. Surprisingly, mine came with only the front 2 seats belted, but I've retrofitted 3 belts for the "middle-row" but the "third-row" on mine is still belt-less.

You should check with the rules/law/bye-laws in your area before you proceed with your choice of cruiser.

Thanks Clive. I'm not too worried about safety as long as I can get some kind of belts on the rear because it's mostly for the beach. I definitely want to get one of the older 60s or 70s models with the inward rear seats so they can be folded up. Not sure if these extended into the 80s or not.

Thanks for the help!

Joe

The landcruiser 78 series, troop carrier is rated at 11 people. I suspect thats the one you are looking for with the rear inward facing bench's. It need not be 'vintage' as such, you can buy one brand new!

however, unsure what the status of these is in the US, you might need to hunt around ( or actually find something old enough, is it 27 yrs + ? )

regards,

Back