Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

new j80 owner

jonathon parnell

Country Flag
uk
hi there folks i have just become the proud owner of a 1993 land-cruiser vx 4.2td in white with 65000 miles on it from new and full Toyota service history and a folder full of receipts and mot's etc it is in excellent condition throughout
the vx was a barn find and has just been recommissioned and mot'd
i was wondering what the value would be for the insurance and also what ved band it would be also what sort of mpg are folks getting
many thanks Jonathon

hi there folks i have just become the proud owner of a 1993 land-cruiser vx 4.2td in white with 65000 miles on it from new and full Toyota service history and a folder full of receipts and mot's etc it is in excellent condition throughout
the vx was a barn find and has just been recommissioned and mot'd
i was wondering what the value would be for the insurance and also what ved band it would be also what sort of mpg are folks getting
many thanks Jonathon

Sounds great Jonathon and welcome aboard.
We definitely need pictures .

what sort of mpg are folks getting

MPG? Not sure anyone in the club bought a LC to worry too much about fuel consumption. This club's members probably keeps the Middle East and its oil supply ticking over. Welcome to the club. FYI I get about 26 mpg

Hi Jonathon

The only question in there that can be answered with any degree of certainty is that your VED is £235.

As to MPG it all depends. But you can expect somewhere between 19 and 26 mpg. This depends on tyres, manual / auto, roof racks, fuel quality, type of driving etc.

Value? Book value's probably something like £4000 - it's hard to say. Replacement value, ahh well that's very different. Where are you going to get another barn find? The market for 80's is more volatile than gold futures. As they are not classed as classic cars, the value isn't really set. They're worth what someone will pay. If there were plenty about then the value would be well established. If you can provide a receipt for what you paid (if you paid a lot) then they might honour that. People get the wrong idea about insurance I'm afraid. Someone once posted that they'd declared the value as something like £20k therefore that's what they'd get it it were lost. It doesn't work like that.If it were destroyed, unless you have an AGREED pay out sum, then the insurer will only pay what they think it was worth.

A vehicle like you described, if in really good condition all round could be seen as being worth say £7k but we know dealers selling worse at £10k. It's very difficult sorry to say.

Sounds like a great find, depending on the condition of the barn! :lol:

Welcome to the forum Jonathon :thumbup:. Till the photos come flooding through we'll give you the benefit of the doubt but we need the evidence matey, otherwise it's heresay:whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We need to organise a barn crawlers association and start combing the country! Where are these 80s coming out of? Long may it continue. Looking forward to pics and welcome to the club.

Barn finds are a matter of luck and fate. 'Right place and right time'. Its happened to me twice ( but I am always looking) The Collie I am running now and my GS I bought in 2011 were both low mileage barn finds.
Good luck to the lad, I hope its a minter.

Hey Jon, think I spoke to you on Facebook yesterday, welcome to the friendliest cruiser club in the world. PICTURES?

He's too busy rooting in that barn to see what else he can find to post any pictures...

Welcome Jonathon and congratulations on finding what I will guess as being a cracking cruiser. You'll be wearing that cruiser grin when you get behind the wheel that's for sure. If I were you I'd get yourself a lottery ticket cos luck is (or was) certainly on your side.

Best wishes and looking forward to pics.
Richard

Back