Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New member and a question

Jose Sanchez

Country Flag
united_states
Hi fellow LCC members. I am very happy to have found this site.

My truck has 303,608 miles and these aren’t easy "land rover" street mile. My Toy has gone on mountain camping trips, deep woods fishing excursions and desert exploring. It has trailer towed my project car many time and traveled the Nevada, Arizona, California, Utah and Texas country sides. It has been the city assault vehicle for my family for many years and kept them safe all the time

I joined the group in part to find useful information on maintaining, modifying and caring for my cruiser. I do most of the up keep myself and this time I have encountered an unfortunate situation.

My truck had been running great, but after this last trans fluid change, the trans is slipping while in OD when its cold. If I turn OD off, it drives just fine. Once the car warms up, I have no issues. My reading so far points to the trans filter, but I was also told that I may need the additive "friction modifier" in the diff. I am leery of the additive because I've never heard of it being added to my car in the past at the dealership and because of the mileage - don't want to add something foreign at this point.

If anyone has experienced something similar and knows what the best remedy is, I would love to hear your experience and suggestion.

All the best and thank you.

Well, there are most likely a lot of different off the shelf trans fix in a can things you can try. Most likely with 303 k miles you need a complete rebuild or replacement. Thats a lot of miles for any auto trans.

Question was the gearbox slipping before you did the fluid change? If not did you use the correct fluid for the box as in the right viscosity and or mineral, semi synthetic, full synthetic if you used synthetic that could be the problem otherwise you may have to get the gearbox serviced

Well, there are most likely a lot of different off the shelf trans fix in a can things you can try. Most likely with 303 k miles you need a complete rebuild or replacement. Thats a lot of miles for any auto trans.

Thank you Mike for your input. I guess it may be the begining of the end. :(

Hi fellow LCC members. I am very happy to have found this site.

My truck has 303,608 miles and these aren’t easy "land rover" street mile. My Toy has gone on mountain camping trips, deep woods fishing excursions and desert exploring. It has trailer towed my project car many time and traveled the Nevada, Arizona, California, Utah and Texas country sides. It has been the city assault vehicle for my family for many years and kept them safe all the time

I joined the group in part to find useful information on maintaining, modifying and caring for my cruiser. I do most of the up keep myself and this time I have encountered an unfortunate situation.

My truck had been running great, but after this last trans fluid change, the trans is slipping while in OD when its cold. If I turn OD off, it drives just fine. Once the car warms up, I have no issues. My reading so far points to the trans filter, but I was also told that I may need the additive "friction modifier" in the diff. I am leery of the additive because I've never heard of it being added to my car in the past at the dealership and because of the mileage - don't want to add something foreign at this point.

If anyone has experienced something similar and knows what the best remedy is, I would love to hear your experience and suggestion.

All the best and thank you.
Hi Jose,

What model and year is your LC? Highish milage is not a great isues if the LC has been well maintained, I am an advocate of OEM and using the correct fluids as recommended by the manufacturer.

Hi Jose,

What model and year is your LC? Highish milage is not a great isues if the LC has been well maintained, I am an advocate of OEM and using the correct fluids as recommended by the manufacturer.

I can't believe I did not mention the year. It is a 2001 LC, with the 4.7L 2uzfe and AT with OD. The major maintenance - timing belt, water pump, fan clutch all at Toyota dealerships. Oil changes and fluids, either by me or trusted shops , and at correct intervals. I've been the owner since new. As I shared, the trans was fine until this last fluid change. A toyota expert in town said to just drain and replace fluid this time, as a chemical/mechanical flush at this point in time, may do more harm than good. So all i did was drain and fill. Do you think it may just need a new trans filter?
Thank you for your interest in my question.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't believe I did not mention the year. It is a 2001 LC, with the 4.7L 2uzfe and AT with OD. The major maintenance - timing belt, water pump, fan clutch all at Toyota dealerships. Oil changes and fluids, either by me or trusted shops , and at correct intervals. I've been the owner since new. As I shared, the trans was fine until this last fluid change. A toyota expert in town said to just drain and replace fluid this time, as a chemical/mechanical flush at this point in time, may do more harm than good. So all i did was drain and fill. Do you think it may just need a new trans filter?
Thank you for your interest in my question.
Your welcome,

Mines a 2004 4.2 TD, so I'm not to familiar with the 4 speed auto, as I have the first facelift 5 speed auto with no dipstick, what I do know is that just a drain and refill on an auto box dosen't usually drain all the fluid, I also know that changing the strainer can't do any harm.

There may well be some posts on this LCC and on IH8MUD on how to do a complete fluid change on a LC auto Gear Box.

Hope this helps & good luck.

Sounds like either too low fluid level (check warm, with engine running) or a worn clutch for the top gear (OD), which means transmission service.

Back