Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Member from Kenya

Navraj Singh

Garage
Hey Guys,

My name is Navraj,

Currently driving a 100 series VX TD in Nairobi, saw this link from the LCCSA forum

I will be moving to the UK in July to do my masters degree and an looking to get a L/C in the UK by about July this year. I have a few considerations and though that you guys would be best to help me out here.

I dont have much money as I will once again be living as a student :roll: but I would be able to spend between 3,000 to 5,000 GBP on a car. Any sugestions?

Welcome Navraj,

Your budget won't stretch to a 100 series in the UK but it will give you plenty of choices for 80 or 90 series trucks and may leave you some change to put towards how expensive fuel is here :x

Hey John,

The idea is not to go for a 100 series, for that I would have to sell my truk in Nairobi and put the money in a 100 here.

I am definately thinking on the lines of an 80 or a 90. Love those 80's though. My only concern is Fuel, Fuel and Fuel.
Would you recomend buying a Diesel or a Petrol based on UK fuel rates??

Diesel 80 i think, but there are quite a few petrols for sale running on LPG which could be a good option for cost saving.

I was also thinking about a Diesel 4.2l non turbo (or should I go for the Turbo) 80.
On the other hand, a 90 Diesel 3l Turbo

Another question,
What would be a reasonable milage on the cruiser. I am seeing that most are between 130,000 to 180,000.

The petrols are a nice motor and on LPG should be quite reasonable to run but in the UK they are not so common so if you do have any engine or gearbox related problems they may be a bit harder to resolve / get second hand parts for. I don't think it's very often they go wrong though, they can be a lot cheaper to buy and so you might pick up a much newer truck for your budget and get an auto box as a bonus. Diesel is probably a safer choice but it then really depends how you feel about petrol vs diesel ...

On the diesels, we only get the turbo motor in the UK, not the non turbo.

130,000 is low mileage, 180,000 is probably about average now but as ever it depends on the age of the truck and how hard those miles were.

I've never had one but the 90 series may be cheaper to run, get you a newer truck for your money, or let you spend a lot less, and still give you a good truck which in terms of ride quality will be more like your 100 series than an 80 is.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am more of a Diesel guy myself. :D

I would love to have an 80 but the 90 would be the smart choice for my circumstances.
But then again.....i am not very smart :twisted:

Mmmm :roll:
So, if i may ask.
Why are petrol more expensive in the UK :roll:
Does it mean that it's more than we pay for petrol here in South Africa.
And if so, why :?:

petrol - we pay about UK £1.12 per litre of which about 85% is tax duty and other fees for the robbers in London.

JB Meyer said:
Mmmm :roll:
So, if i may ask.
Why are petrol more expensive in the UK :roll:
Does it mean that it's more than we pay for petrol here in South Africa.
And if so, why :?:

I remember the days when I paid < R4 for a litre of diesel (not that long ago). I remember the days my mom would say "Gooi net vyf rand asseblief" (Pour only five rand please) and that would be good for a few days.

I filled up my 120 on monday. £1.29.9 per litre. Call it £1.30. Granted it was the premium diesel but I seem to get a bit more mileage.
£1.30 for a 90 litre tank... :o

Lucky we don't have the SA spec 120 with dual tanks.
Here's a nice picture:
http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/pump-p ... o-113.html
Makes you sick...

fuels a joke - buy stuff in libya for about a 10th of the price.

gov points finger at oil companies, whilst their hand is the one in your trouser pocket.

Hi Navraj,

Welcome to the forum. For that money you should be able to get a reasonable 90 and with a 90 3.0ltr you will get 25 - 28 miles to the gallon. They are a very capable truck but not quite as big as the 80's

Steve

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

At those fuel prices :shock: I think a 3L 90 would be fine.
Now to try and find one. Btw would you recomend a SWB or a LWB??

Hope you have a great day in the sunshine, and a fantastic year ahead!

cheers

Hi Navraj and welcome !

I've seen some 1996-97 Prado imports (kzj95) the same as mine for 4-5K, check out my pictures on the "my lifted Prado" thread in the "90 forum".....
Nick.

Back