Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New member has steering lock problem - help!

timre01

Country Flag
uk
Hi - Bit of a problem with my LC VX 4.2 from 2000 - put it in to get front tyres balanced - left it with steering lock on & gave them key, wheels were at almost full lock - came back wheels still on full lock - key had no effect - wouldn't take steering lock off or start - had it recovered to Toyota (!) - they found link from barrel sheared and changed that part - lock came back on and not lifted by key - say problem in column mechanism. I got salvaged column and they fitted it - now OK - I'm substantially poorer!

Looks like the wheels were forced - damaged lock engagement on column and also sheared link to barrel. Can anyone shed any light on this problem as I want enough evidence to get tyre co to pay for repairs. I have old column but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Any help/advice would be most welcome!
Tim

I would imagine that you'd need an engineering expert opinion to get anywhere near close to winning a case in court.

You could try to get the Toyota dealer to confirm in writing that the damage could only have occurred by means of forcing the steering mechanism, but the tyre place could simply deny that they forced anything.

They had the key I presume, and "it worked perfectly for us before and after the tyres were fitted" is all they have to say.

I don't think you'll get anywhere, unless you can negotiate something with the tyre company.

Shame.

Back