Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New member in need of help

GRIMECHURNER

Hi all

im very new to this site and very new to landcruisers although i have long admired them and am a forner owner of a hilux surf. I recently bought a hdj 81 /4.2l td/12v. It had 128k kms at purchase however a few worrying issues. Just took it for a service and a general checkup after i noticed that the auto gearbox sticks early in the morning or whenever the engine is cold. It does not shift out of 2nd until warm but once warm has no issues shifting even though it shifts a little rough. Was told by the beady eyed mechanic that the transmission fluid is still clean and so are the filters so he doesnt know why its sticking. Other cruiser enthusiasts have told me to just change the tranny but at 2900$ a pop here in africa for a used one thats a major expense after just having bought the car.

Problem two was the excessively high fuel consumption which has been curbed by fitting of new injector nozzles but i was also told the diesel pump needs service as its still spitting out buckets of black smoke when you put your foot down. Would anyone have any supplier details for parts at good rates either in holland or the uk or south africa/ kenya?

In the mean time any advice on the tranny would be an enormous help please.

lubegard_logo.gif

I know I keep mentioning this stuff but, I now know 3 people who have added this the their auto transmissions and are very impressed.

If you can get this where you are, add a bottle of Lubeguard Red. It is only £9 here in the UK so if it sorts out your 'problem' that's great news.... if it doesn't all you have lost in £9.

BAT21 could it further damage the gearbox?
It has been in my gearbox now for over 10,000 miles and has certainly improved the shifts, they are a lot smoother.

Other people I know who have added it have had no issues.

It was recommended to me by a friend who builds automatic transmissions for a living, that was a good enough endorsement for me.

I can back paul up on that, a transmission guy who i know from a reputable company advised me to add some to mine, good stuff.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm next door in Uganda. You will be able to easily get bits there in Nairobbery... I'd try Robs Magic or ask a few expats for recommendations.

Regards
Mark

Yea will visit Robs. Been talking to a few of the karen crowd but they all say when it comes to gearboxes i need to find someone who knows what their doing yet no one can recommend a good mechanic. pff

Back