Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New member with question

Brad_LC

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello, I'm no stranger to 4x4's and mechanically I'm pretty good but I am new to the Land Cruiser so please go easy on me.

Here's my nice LC2, the only thing I want to change is the wheels and tyre combination, only because I'd like to fill the wheel arches a bit more that current.... IMG_0171.JPG

The wheels fitted are 6 x 17 ET50 - with 225/70/17's

The ones I'd like to fit are the ones below .... they're 7.5 x 17 ET30, I'd probably put 265/70/17's on

wheels2.jpg

My question is - will the new wheels fit without sticking out too much further?

After looking on a few websites to calculate how far they'd be further out by, (willtheyfit.com) the answer is about 40mm further, that would make them stick out of the arches by about 25mm but I've seen these wheels fitted to nearly every LC2/3/4 that I've seen, am I missing something obvious?

Welcome.

Take a look at http://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1323445337TOYOTATHEALLNEWTOYOTALANDCRUISER.pdf

That should give you a lot of info on the 120 and the trim levels. The lc2 was sold as a more industrial baseline and with the diffetent wheels. The lc3/4/5 were all sold with the larger one.

I don't believe there is any axle difference though. So as you, I would assume the wheels should just swap over. Note however that there was no option to buy the larger wheels on the lc2.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
GeekOKent - looks like the Lc2 isn't a 'wide body' model so the wheel arches and bodykit is slightly less pronounced making the LC2 narrower by 85mm, (stated at bottom of p14) hence the wheels I was intending to put on will stick out too far.
It's obvious now after looking at 2 pictures side by side but I never would have known without the PDF.
Never mind, at least I know before buying some new rims and rubber!
Thanks all.

Sounds like time for some wheel arch (fender) flares Brad. :icon-evil: :think:

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
GeekOKent - looks like the Lc2 isn't a 'wide body' model so the wheel arches and bodykit is slightly less pronounced making the LC2 narrower by 85mm, (stated at bottom of p14) hence the wheels I was intending to put on will stick out too far.
It's obvious now after looking at 2 pictures side by side but I never would have known without the PDF.
Never mind, at least I know before buying some new rims and rubber!
Thanks all.

I am sure there is workaround to be had here. Bit of a lift, some wheel arch flares. ..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The lc2, iirc, did not come with the plastic fender extensions. The rubbing on the bigger wheels was inside the wheel arch though.

#needsnewsuspension

The lc2, iirc, did not come with the plastic fender extensions. The rubbing on the bigger wheels was inside the wheel arch though.

#needsnewsuspension
I fitted 265/70/17 bf Ko2s to my 120 and there is no rubbing on full lock, they also give a 13mm lift.
The Lc2 just needs the side body kit the Lc3 to Lc5 have and maybe bigger bumpers that the Lc3 to Lc5 have.
Happy New Year to ALL
Kind Regards
Andonis

A 4 inch lift , cut out fender flares and huge tyres is what you want , and then with that done you can like the rest of us start spending on the things you really need like a flask of tea and pair of wellies :lol:

I might have a look into flared arches etc, is there any 'best places' to look at for parts for LC's?
I did a similar thing to my Defender not long ago but I'm not used to Landcruiser spares and modifications (yet!)

A 4 inch lift , cut out fender flares and huge tyres is what you want , and then with that done you can like the rest of us start spending on the things you really need like a flask of tea and pair of wellies :lol:

This looks like the start of many a "slippery slope" to Labdcruiser heaven and an empty wallet :lol:

225s on any cruiser are way too thin IMO, can't blame you for wanting to go wider and widen the stance too.

40mm difference sounds about right by the numbers, 30mm on the wheel offset and 10mm on 50% of the tyre size increase. Nice wheels too.

You might get away with spring spacers if your standard springs are in good condition, it's just a thought, the price of spacers is much more attractive than full replacements and longer shocks.

Nice colour

Here's my 120 with 265 70 17 that don't rub at all. So if you can get over the tyres sticking out you should be fine.
IMG_20160425_230214.jpg

Not sure where you are located but if you wanted to try a wheel and tyre on your more than welcome to come round. im in essex.

Thanks for the offer silvercruiser, very kind of you. Might be a bit of a trek though as I'm in Devon!
I spent some time today trying a spare wheel from the wife's Shogun, it's the same width and offset, it stuck out of the arches by about 25mm, looked a bit daft tbh.
Looks like I'll have to put up with thin wheels/tyres, fit a bodykit or - p/x for an LC3!

Ok, yeah bit of a trek to try a wheel:lol:. yeah bit of a dilemma you have there. i would imagine it would be pretty costly to change over all body kit and bumpers. im not sure about any aftermarket fender flares. i hope you find a solution. or at the worst like you say LC3

I have never seen a lc2 in the flesh. But just looking at the side pic above, the fender and guard look pretty similar to the lc4/lc5. which specific bit is missing? Or is the whole body a bit narrower...

I think both bumpers are different and fit with the side bodykit. I never even noticed mine was any different when buying one, it's not obvious. If you look at these two pics of mine and silvercruiser's together you can hardly tell, the bodykit adds 85mm width according to the info here....

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 12.58.02.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 12.54.21.jpg

Odd that I remember mine rubbing a bit. #gettingold :(

IIRC the LC2 simply had flared fenders whereas the 3/4/5 had the plastic covering over the top of it. I can't see if yours are plastic or not?
There was a chap with a red / burgundy LC2 who joined us at Salisbury a couple of times with the LC2.
I wonder if you bought the plastic wheel arch from a breaker if you could make it fit?

The 90 series also came with or without plastics and i don't think i ever came across a narrow body that was successfully upgraded because even if you find the wider bumpers to meet the wider arch from the same model car you would have to drill about 50 holes in your bodywork and make them holes squares if you wanted to fit the body kit to be fitted as it was intended to be fitted .

In my honest opinion with a view to saving you money i would say either leave it alone or commit yourself to achieving what your vision says it should be and be setting an example for others to follow .

Fibreglass and body

84e8e45c227eba202d4170a662887b1c.png

Yep, looks like it might be more hassle than it's worth, there's no plastic parts on the sides of mine, it's all metal arches etc.
I'll either stick with the spindly wheels/tyres or look into swapping. More hours of trawling the web .......:weary:

Back