Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

mircea163

Country Flag
romania
Hello. My name is Mircea, i've been reading the forum for about 4 years now, but never registered, as i felt i didn't have much to contribute.

I bought an 87 BJ73 in good condition (or so i thought), almost no rust on the body, 187.000 km so practically new engine. My plan was to have an overland vehicle, mechanically simple and to learn how to work on it myself in time.

Before i could register it, it suddenly developed a suspicious sound. I had 0 experience working on cars, so it took me a while to read up and to start taking the car apart. I had eliminated the (apparent) usual suspects and found that the rod bearings on no3 had completely dessintegrated and had gouged the crankshaft beyond repair. My suspicion is the guy's mechanic didn't change the oil when he was supposed to.

So i got a second one, really beat up, but with a good crankshaft and am now in the middle of rebuilding everything. I made the decision to dismantle and rebuild everything myself, gearbox, steering box, steering pump, etc. I have no experince with this so it may yet take a while before i have a working car again.

Hello and welcome to the club Mircea , how about some photos of your Landcruiser ? what type of engine does it have ? is it the 2L OR 2lt ?

It's the 3B engine. This was the car in Spain

Attachments

• 1280x960 (13).jpg
    1280x960 (13).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20150831_175352.jpg
    20150831_175352.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 1280x960 (10).jpg
    1280x960 (10).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 36
looks good still seea few of these around but a lot had the Italian VM engine which has a poor reputation.

I wanted the 3B for the timing gears and cylinder liners, as well as the big front diff found on pre 1990 LCs.
The big downside with these engines is parts are really hard to come by and are expensive. Also, they are quite slow, luckily i drove a Dacia 1300 for 10 years, and so the 3B felt familiar. I may put a turbo on it, when i have the money.

For the moment, i need to paint the chassys and parts of the body, before starting to reassemble it. The next big project is to source a Maks 4wd kit for the transfer, but i am having trouble finding a vendor in Europe.

P.S. please excuse any mistakes i may make, English is not my native language.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to hear all the distress you’ve been having, Mircea.
Can’t help you with your problems I’m afraid, whereabouts are you?
I’m in Bucharest and know some good guys there who might be able to help, if you need it.
Cheers.

Thank you, Clive, i might take you up on that at some point !
I am waiting for the weather to cooperate, so i can raptor line the chassis.
I will try and post some pictures.

Hello Mircea,

The 3B engine was also used in the late model 40 series. If you look at Euro4x4parts under 40 series (45) 1980-84 3.4 litre or 70 series (75) 3.4 litre you will find the engine parts.

Regards,

Rodger

P.S. please excuse any mistakes i may make, English is not my native language.
your English is excellent mate no problem .What is a maks 4wd kit exactly ? as for other parts have you thought about using amayama .Maybe Rodger can comment on this advice , not sure if he has ordered from them .

Thank you, guys :)
I have bought most of the parts needed from megazip.net and euro4x4, unfortunately no one had a crankshaft, so i just bought a second, thrashed car. The block is at the machinist, to remove the liners, something i dared not attempt on my own. Assuming it goes well, i should have everything i need to rebuild the engine :neutral:

The Marks kit reduces the lower gears in the transfer case by 55%. I received a mail yesterday, they just stopped production, so that's that... Anyway, stock gears are good enough and i may yet get the ones from terrain tamer, some day. Very pricey, though.

@goodoldboy I have used Amayama, Euro4x4 and Mega4x4 and the service from all of them is excellent. However as amayama are in the Middle East their prices are subject to import duty and VAT whereas the other two are in Europe. I like you live in Spain but if you live in the UK and are reading this then they are all subject to import duty and VAT. As far as I'm aware all of them have access to OEM parts as well.

Regards,

Rodger

Thank you, Clive, i might take you up on that at some point !
I am waiting for the weather to cooperate, so i can raptor line the chassis.
I will try and post some pictures.
GTC Auto, they’re in Popesti Leordeni on the outskirts of the city.
You can call Florin on +40722507750 and have a chat about anything you need help with and he’ll put you in touch with the appropriate mechanic.
They are mechanics, not just fitters, and they’re mega Land Cruiser enthusiasts.

Back