Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Members - Intros

G

Hey folks,
Now that I have finally signed the cheque and brought it home, I guess I am eligible to join in. I have just spent =A32,700 on an HZJ75 pick-up or 'trayback', made in 1990, first registered UK in 1996 having been imported from Aus. It has a 4.2 diesel block with a retro-fitted turbo, and is a manual gear box. Leaf springs 'fore and 'aft, and manual hubs. Intended mods - bigger back, maybe tipper, certainly some lockable toolboxes, orange flashing light ?
I am a Forest and Habitat manager, consulting and contracting for a wide variety of clients including the Forestry Commission, County, Borough and District Councils, Commercial consultancies and private estates. I have ten years experience and 2 degrees.
The pickup has been purchased purely as a work vehicle. I am mechanically inept, although understand enough to have tired of repairing the old landrover that I used to have for work!
I live in the North East of the New Forest, and own a small piece of the North West of the Forest.
Whilst I'm here, I am awaiting delivery of repair manuals but in the meantime, can anyone with experience of the 1HZ or even better HZJ75 s tell me if there is a separate gearbox fill and level check - I can only find one hole, am losing ep90 between the gbox and rear propshaft, and want to be safe rather than sorry! All help much appreciated.
May be able to meet up for the lunch and afternoon bit of the Salisbury plain thing - maybe see some of you then
Nick Dowling
New Forest UK
'90 - AUS, imported '96, HZJ75 Pick Up - 4.2 dsl - manual - retro fitted turbo

Hi Nick
Totally unrelated to 4x4 ing - what's your degrees in? I've got a couple as well, and I know bits of the New Forest pretty well, but not all of it. I'm doing my PhD at Bournemouth and did my MA at So'ton, the others were done at Bristol (BA(Hons) Archaeology) and UWE Bristol (Bsc Environmental Science).
Also totally unrelated to the 4x4 ing thing I guess, is that there is a project that I'm trying NOTto get involved in, in Libya, as it concerns a certain oil production/processing plant in the Messak - My conscience suggests I get involved in a big way, but sensible sentiments suggest I steer well clear of multi-national-globalisation things!
I'm still dithering about Salisbury, if I do go it would be nice to share a few words and ideas with like-minders...
Renate
Welcome onboard!
It would be a nice distraction to meet someone who works in the New Forest
>>> [Email address removed] 11/09/04 03:18pm >>>
Hey folks,

Now that I have finally signed the cheque and brought it home, I guess I am eligible to join in. I have just spent =A32,700 on an HZJ75 pick-up or 'trayback', made in 1990, first registered UK in 1996 having been imported from Aus. It has a 4.2 diesel block with a retro-fitted turbo, and is a manual gear box. Leaf springs 'fore and 'aft, and manual hubs. Intended mods - bigger back, maybe tipper, certainly some lockable toolboxes, orange flashing light ?

I am a Forest and Habitat manager, consulting and contracting for a wide variety of clients including the Forestry Commission, County, Borough and District Councils, Commercial consultancies and private estates. I have ten years experience and 2 degrees.

The pickup has been purchased purely as a work vehicle. I am mechanically inept, although understand enough to have tired of repairing the old landrover that I used to have for work!

I live in the North East of the New Forest, and own a small piece of the North West of the Forest.

Whilst I'm here, I am awaiting delivery of repair manuals but in the meantime, can anyone with experience of the 1HZ or even better HZJ75 s tell me if there is a separate gearbox fill and level check - I can only find one hole, am losing ep90 between the gbox and rear propshaft, and want to be safe rather than sorry! All help much appreciated.

May be able to meet up for the lunch and afternoon bit of the Salisbury plain thing - maybe see some of you then

Nick Dowling

New Forest UK

That's a cool pickup Nick - should last forever too.
>From memory, it could be that the oil seal between the gearbox and transfer
box has failed, allowing one to pump oil into the other. This then vents out
through the breather. On the gearbox, if it's the H55F type, the filler is
on the right, facing forwards, high up on the side. You've probably been
able to find the level check on the rear.
Check the VIN plate under the bonnet for the transmission type.
Hope this helps,
Neill Watson
'89 FJ62 - the kids' climbing frame
Nick Dowling wrote:
Hey folks,
Now that I have finally signed the cheque and brought it home, I guess I
am eligible to join in. I have just spent ?2,700 on an HZJ75 pick-up or
'trayback', made in 1990, first registered UK in 1996 having been imported
from Aus. It has a 4.2 diesel block with a retro-fitted turbo, and is a
manual gear box. Leaf springs 'fore and 'aft, and manual hubs. Intended
mods - bigger back, maybe tipper, certainly some lockable toolboxes, orange
flashing light ?
The pickup has been purchased purely as a work vehicle. I am mechanically
inept, although understand enough to have tired of repairing the old
landrover that I used to have for work!
Whilst I'm here, I am awaiting delivery of repair manuals but in the
meantime, can anyone with experience of the 1HZ or even better HZJ75 s tell
me if there is a separate gearbox fill and level check - I can only find one
hole, am losing ep90 between the gbox and rear propshaft, and want to be
safe rather than sorry! All help much appreciated.

Renate,
BSc Hons Countryside Management (London) & MSc Forestry (Oxon)
If anyone is ever in the Forest and wants shown around give a buzz
Nick Dowling
[Email address removed]
t-01725 513 725 m-07767 623 983
New Forest UK

Quoting Nick Dowling <[Email address removed]>:
Hi Nick,
Welcome aboard!
I guess most of us can say: been there... done that ...
That's a treasure! Ever thought of giving the club a guided tour some time in
the future?
Hope to meet you there
--
Rgds,
Roman
London UK
'92 HDJ80

Roman,
>> I live in the North West of the New Forest, and own a small piece of the
>> North East of the Forest.
>
> That's a treasure! Ever thought of giving the club a guided tour some time in
> the future?
Yes it is a treasure and I am more than happy to share it - spring/summer would be good, plenty room for camping - overnight beery woodland barbecue? Daytime exploration of lanes - good local pubs, etc etc,
Nick
New Forest UK

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"That's a cool pickup Nick - should last forever too."
No complaints so far - had upwards of 3/4 tonne of sycamore in the back yesterday in a beech wood with deep litter - you could hardly see where I had been - mind you the previous owner had put these wide tyres on it - 10.5 x 15 s. "Kumho powerguard" if that means anything . . .
"From memory, it could be . . . . . .
. . . . ..Check the VIN plate under the bonnet for the transmission type."
thanks for that - I'll get back onto the improvised inspection pit (railway sleepers) once it stops raining ;o)
Nick
New Forest UK

Back