Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New/Old Tyre configuration

Well done chadr, I'll bow graciously to the experts on this one, far be it from me to argue with them.

However, there's one overriding nonsense that I think shouldn't be overlooked.

IIRC, the OP suggested that the pair of part worn tyres he had were in good serviceable condition, well I assumed that anyway when I gave my advice.

If any tyre is worn/old enough to be prone to aquaplaning, blow-out, high propensity to puncture due to wear/age, or whatever, it shouldn't be on the car in the first place.

That means that all other things being equal, the only difference between the new and the part worn tyres would be tread depth.

On my 80 and we're talking AT tyres here, at half worn, there's probably more tread depth than a brand new asphalt biased tyre, so where's the danger in aquaplaning (which is the only evil left if your tyres are roadworthy)?

I've been driving for over 44 years (which has to be in my case pretty close to 1.5 million miles) and I'm a stickler for regularly rotating tyres, so there's no danger that there's ever much difference between each of the four new ones I fitted in the first place.

I always buy tyres in sets of 4 or 5 (usually 5 even though I might have a new unused spare from the last set of 5). This mainly because there's a big difference between brands of ATs whereas asphalt biased tyres don't vary so much between reputable brands, IMO.

First and foremost, I would always advise bying sets of tyres, not singles or even pairs.

So, on the basis of the above but in the event that I did buy a pair, I would still put my new pair on the front and benefit from the better tread under emergency braking and steering.

IMO, blow-outs on good tyres are a very minor risk, tyre walls fail for reasons of incorrect inflation or damage, rarely anything else.

I won't accept that good undamaged part-worn AT tyres of reputable brand are any more prone to punctures, blow outs, aquaplaning or turning into a pumpkin than the new AT tyres.

Many drivers are incompetent, we see them every day, here especially, driving on bald, damaged, rotted, and cracked things that are illegal and should never be on a car. Those are the most likely to aquaplaning, puncture, or blow-out unexpectedly.

The U.K. Has been spoilt by good education, first the 1mm tread depth rule in the 60s and more recently 1.6mm I think. My AT tyres get changed well before that.

Here they get away with murder, quite literally.

I'm sure there'll be a backlash to the above even though I've admitted losing the case, but it's been a good discussion nevertheless. :thumbup:

Tenuous connection to the discussion but worthy of note if you live/travel here.

If you purchase and fit >insert 'FRONT or 'REAR'< a pair of new tyres in Spain, and find due to whatever reason you have to replace one perhaps three or four months later, you may find you cannot! This is due to ITV (MOT) regulations that tyres on the same axle MUST be of the same brand and have the SAME tread pattern and be of 'similar' tread depth.

I had a customer who insisted on driving to the UK on IMO 'iffy' tyres and purchasing four new ones at a budget discount. A short while later he returns to Spain and hits some debris in the road, ITV was due and he could not get a matching brand here, the result was two new tyres.

Funny how a tyre patterns remained fairly constant year on year, and now all of a suddenly they get changed on a regular basis. Now, I am not one to start conspiracy theories. :whistle:

regards

Dave

IMO, blow-outs on good tyres are a very minor risk, tyre walls fail for reasons of incorrect inflation or damage, rarely anything else.

Thankfully rare, but In my case, it was a new, mid range tyre on the front. It had had a few days of gentle running around and then it gave out on the M4. Not much traffic around, little drama and I coasted to a halt on the hard shoulder. I was told it was a manufacturing fault in the sidewall, replaced without question.
Off topic, but one thing that gets me with the high cost of insurance for young drivers is the tendency to fit cheap tyres. It's been shown that some of them have considerably longer stopping distances and poor grip, especially in the wet. Fine until something happens, then the lack of experience combined with rubbish tyres can prove very nasty. It should be part of insurance conditions to fit decent rubber.

Reading @flint post about a new tyre sidewall failing reminded me of something I came across many many years ago. I was servicing a guys Mondeo, I noticed some scuffing on one of his tyres, it looked like he had caught a kerb or whatever. I then noticed it on another tyre and then realised upon closer inspection they all had it. Very careful and closer investigation showed the words 'Not for use over 20 MPH' had been carefully but not completely scrubbed out!! The minicab driver told me the tyre shop had done him a real good deal on them, and he was happy...WTF!!!!

Be careful out there!

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Reading @flint post about a new tyre sidewall failing reminded me of something I came across many many years ago. I was servicing a guys Mondeo, I noticed some scuffing on one of his tyres, it looked like he had caught a kerb or whatever. I then noticed it on another tyre and then realised upon closer inspection they all had it. Very careful and closer investigation showed the words 'Not for use over 20 MPH' had been carefully but not completely scrubbed out!! The minicab driver told me the tyre shop had done him a real good deal on them, and he was happy...WTF!!!!

Be careful out there!

regards

Dave

Incredible, it's like buying beyond sell by/use by food, nice and cheap but don't complain to us about food poisoning! You may as well raid the bins :?

I bought some cheap remold tyres in 60's. After a week I noticed 2 had really big bulges the size of tennis balls in their sidewalls. The sidewalls must have been retreaded as well with pin holes in the original carcasses?

When I cabbed in the 70's, all the cabbies used to buy 'Colway' remoulds, made of concrete and would give you 50,000 miles min, but you tried not to touch the brake pedal in the wet.......scary things happened. :pray:

regards

Dave

Back