Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New rear springs

RobfromYork

Country Flag
uk
Hi

Can anyone suggest some decent rear springs for my 80. I don’t want to lift it and it’s basically standard. I went to Toyota for prices and the shocks are reasonable but the springs are ridiculous!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks

Rob

Hi

Can anyone suggest some decent rear springs for my 80. I don’t want to lift it and it’s basically standard. I went to Toyota for prices and the shocks are reasonable but the springs are ridiculous!

Many thanks

Rob
Im at a similar point and all roads lead to pedders it seems...pedders.co.uk note I think if you choose a standard height uprated spring then the truck may sit slightly higher unladen but it only about 1"

Hi

Many thanks

Rob

I know what you mean about the price of Toyota springs. That said on the first 80 I had I replaced all the springs with genuine at about 135K due to a broken rear spring found on MOT test. The cost was £660 I think ( this was about 10 years ago).
Although it sat about the same the ride was transformed to what it was when I bought it 10 years before, it was firmer but smoother somehow but definitely better.
I guess you get what you pay for.

Milners do a Shock/spring kit for £175... or try Rough Trax... 20% stronger they say... Rough Trax rear springs £126... Standard (A pair)

Thanks for the replies. I would quite happily replace with Toyota but at £620.00 a pair it's more than I can afford. Does anyone have experience with the roughtrax ones? The ride on this 80 is a lot more supple than my old one and I much prefer it. I don't want to end up with a harder ride.

Thanks again

Rob

Thanks for the replies. I would quite happily replace with Toyota but at £620.00 a pair it's more than I can afford. Does anyone have experience with the roughtrax ones? The ride on this 80 is a lot more supple than my old one and I much prefer it. I don't want to end up with a harder ride.

Thanks again

Rob

You don't say why you want to replace them Rob, are they a bit saggy and wallowy?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The springs are very badly corroded and pitted. The car wallows a bit in corners and if you’re a little bit enthusiastic on the way into said corner it can feel a bit unsettling.

The springs are very badly corroded and pitted. The car wallows a bit in corners and if you’re a little bit enthusiastic on the way into said corner it can feel a bit unsettling.
I think cornering while being enthusiastic was unsettling as standard when they came out the factory Rob..:lol:

I would have thought to look in the WSM for the cars ride height. If this is OK then the springs won't have gone weak.

That would have me looking at the trailing arm and panhard bushes , its far more obvious in jacked up swb and "unsettling" is a great word to describe the feel . No body roll on my swb 90 but at motorways speeds it sometimes felt it wanted to fall over while cornering .

I recently fitted Pedders Standard Height Uprated Rear Springs from roughtrax. I had also fitted +2" shocks as a future proofing exercise although I didn't actually want a 2" lift. The truck is now sitting higher than I would have liked and having researched it more between pedders and roughtrax websites it seems that uprated springs give 45mm lift to an unladen truck so be wary. The springs themselves appear to be much thicker than the standard spring and they fit the mounts snuggly. I need to replace my fronts and considering just standard duty and height there as well. I really only wanted the stiffer rear spring for towing so im not sure why they just don't knock 45mm off the manufactured height to retain the status quo. I also think coloured suspension is hideous so immediately painted over the red springs and shocks with satin black metal paint & hopefully that will deter rusting as well.

The pedders products are cheaper via roughtrax then pedders.co.uk but roughtrax only sell springs in pairs. Pedders don't have all the springs in stock, yet roughtrax do and yet pedders didn't think to tell me that. you can order singles from http://pedders-ce.eu/catalogue/Toyota/Landcruiser/80 Series/ prices are marginally higher and shiping is about the same.

To the OP I think go for Pedders standard all round and for your use I think will last you long enough so that even if you replace in four/5years will still be a fraction of the cost of oem. They are a doddle to fit except the upper rear shock mounts can be nasty but if you clean the threads and oil them well then they do remove with a good impact gun. you also need to drop the antiroll bar to make removing the spring a lot easier and without spring clamps

Pedders 'standard height' heavy duty rear springs leave the rear of the truck @ 790mm from bottomof 16" rim to the underside of the arch flare. As per the website. Up45mm on standard but if your springs/shocks were worn/sagged then you may have been - 30-40mm to begin so it will look massive and your tyre size will diminish into a gaping hole as well. Rear axle has moved to the right by sighting down the side of the flares. 10mm? Also can no longer sit on rear tailgate to enjoy caviar and champagne.... Unless running a rear winch bumper or loaded storage tray I would say avoid these 7245 rear springs. Even for towing its probably not necessary. I think the standard pedders springs are still a sight upgrade from OEM so would advise those to normal users. maybe this is of some use to anyone not sure what to buy.

Back